• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION ONLY: FIRM DATES Galapagos Dec 1-8, 2014

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

Hey gang...I think we have enough critical mass...so start saving your pennies, nickels and dimes and start telling all your diving friends so we can fill the trip out! Dec 1-8 looks the dates... with a few days before and after for sightseeing and day tours. :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

SCHWEET!!! I'm all in. :2cool:/>

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

ONE LAST REQUEST...

We've been trying to find any NEGATIVE things about doing our trip in early Dec and other than the water is warmer and the whalesharks* are more likely to be in Sept (we saw them in Oct when we went the first time) we can't find anything bad about this date. Can you???

I'd hate to book this date only to have people tell us that it sucked! :(/>/>

So let us know if you can find anything negative about the early Dec timeframe as I'll be making a hard decision in the next couple of days! :thankyou:/>/>

*A note about the whalesharks...

This diving is about being overweighted so you can sink to the bottom quickly and wedge yourself into the rocks so you can sit back and enjoy the show of schooling hammerheads, mantas, spotted eagle rays etc. Also people are often wearing more neoprene then they are used to and so are very overweighted. If you do see a whaleshark you all then try to swim after it. Since most people are overweighted and are not used to it they tend to start sinking like a rock and because they are swimming fast to catch up the whaleshark they can end up in 130+ feet of water VERY RAPIDLY and using up their air EVEN MORE RAPIDLY. This is a bad situation and one that happens quite frequently and can have very dire results. So truthfully having a bit warmer water so you need less neoprene and focusing on the amazing show of schooling hammerheads, rays and more...is truly worth the price of admission and if you want whalesharks...do our bi-annual whaleshark trip to Holbox where they are GUARANTEED and no neoprene needed! ;)/>/>

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#34 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Trying to do a bit of looking.....From what I am finding, Jan to June is the wetter season. It looks like there is a lot of sun, with some heavy showers mixed in, mostly in the afternoons. That is also the time for the warmer water. Whale shark season seems to be June to Nov, with better sightings earlier in the season. There are also pleanty of Hammerhead sightings during that time. Jan to May offers the best chance for Mantas and the best Hammerhead action. Another sight is saying Dec to May for Mantas and other rays. Personally, I am not that concerned with the whalesharks there. As Kamala said, Holbox is a very good destination for them. I am more interested in the other action. If I were picking a time frame, I would probably look toward the end of January through the beginning of March. That would get me more into what looks to be the peak time for Mantas and Hammerheads. That said, if the trip is the first week of Dec, I expect that I will be there. Ed

ONE LAST REQUEST...

We've been trying to find any NEGATIVE things about doing our trip in early Dec and other than the water is warmer and the whalesharks* are more likely to be in Sept (we saw them in Oct when we went the first time) we can't find anything bad about this date. Can you???

I'd hate to book this date only to have people tell us there it sucked! :(/>

So let us know if you can find anything negative about the early Dec timeframe as I'll be making a hard decision in the next couple of days! :thankyou:/>

*A note about the whalesharks...

This diving is about be overweighted so you can sink to the bottom quickly and wedge yourself into the rocks so you can sit back and enjoy the show of schooling hammerheads, mantas, spotted eagle rays etc. Also people are often wearing more neoprene then they are used to and so are very overweighted. If you do see a whaleshark you all then try to swim after it. Since most people are overweighted and are not used to it they tend to start sinking like a rock and because they are swimming fast to catch up the whaleshark they can end up in 130+ feet of water VERY RAPIDLY and using up their air EVEN MORE RAPIDLY. This is a bad situation and one that happens quite frequently and can have very dire results. So truthfully having a bit warmer water so you need less neoprene and focusing on the amazing show of schooling hammerheads, rays and more...is truly worth the price of admission and if you want whalesharks...do our bi-annual whaleshark trip to Holbox where they are GUARANTEED and no neoprene needed! ;)/>

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Ed...anyone else? My research shows that June to Sept is colder but warmer in Dec to Mar... and I'm most interested in Darwin and Wolfe as they are PRIME TIME ISLANDS. The rest are ok but more of 'been there done that' sort of thing vs the main attraction!

formerly...

#36 sharkalover

sharkalover

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I am in too!!!! Really want to see as many Mantas and Hammerheads as possible but my dates are flexible with enough notice!!!

Hope you are well, Kamala! Miss you.
Formerly jiab523...now sharkalover!

#37 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm not too worried about the whaleshark aspect of this trip. Been in the water with them, already. I'm more interested in the other macro-fauna. Warmer is better, too. I'll leave it at that, as I have no prior experience that I could offer as negative regarding the Galapagos.
:thankyou:/>

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Awesome! I'll be finalizing the date and getting this posted accordingly. We will offer some VERY sweet early sign up perks in order to pay the $6k in deposits to hold the boat until Dec 2014. :thankyou:

formerly...

#39 MelB

MelB

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced & Nitrox. Mostly Caribbean diving, but a little Pacific and Red Sea too.
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I want to go too! Hold a spot for me! I know two other people who want to go too. How many boats can we book? :)
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
--Steven Wright

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

WOW!!! Looks like I'll be able to book the critical mass and then some! :cool1:

and

:thankyou:

p.s. Hey MR and Mel...great to see you both again virtually...it will be EVEN BETTER if we get to go diving together again! :wakawaka:

formerly...

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

LOCK IN DEC 1-8, 2014 FOR THE GALAPAGOS!!! WE'LL BE DIVING THE MOST AMAZING PLACE IN THE WORLD TO DIVE.... SAVE THE DATES!!!

formerly...

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

I want to go too! Hold a spot for me! I know two other people who want to go too. How many boats can we book? :)/>

I just asked if the date before or after us is available??? Not sure we could pull off back to back trips but WOW!!! That would be beyond amazing! kamala

formerly...

#43 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

LOCK IN DEC 1-8, 2014 FOR THE GALAPAGOS!!! WE'LL BE DIVING THE MOST AMAZING PLACE IN THE WORLD TO DIVE.... SAVE THE DATES!!!

So how many days before the boat and after the boat will we need? What operator are you looking at? I know you would only use an operator that goes to Wolf and Darwin. I had assumed that it was one of the Aggressor boats, but they usually go Thursday, and Dec 1st is a Monday. Yes, I already have my 2014 calendar. Oh and time off ok'd by supervisor.

MNJoe
  • MNJoe likes this

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

We will use Explorer Ventures...better price point and EXCELLENT reputation plus they :wub: us! :wakawaka:

We will arrive at least a day early for baggage issues and stay a day later for flights issues (some will be able to fly the same day but many will need to overnight and catch very early am flights the next day).

Since my goal is to help cover the deposits I will be opening this trip up before the end of the year. I will have several options for minimum pkg + extra days needed for safe travel and then a couple of options for a bit of sightseeing and enjoying the area + side tours also available. And while you won't sign up for the add-ons yet...you'll have an idea of what to expect.
  • MNJoe likes this

formerly...

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

Did we get YOUR name on the notify me when this trip is open for booking list???

THOSE WANTING TO BE ON THE NOTIFY LIST WHEN THIS TRIP OPENS UP:

1. Kamala aka WreckWench
2. Keith aka MNJoe
3. Tim aka Buzo Guero
4. Melissa aka MelB
5. MR aka SharkaLover
6. Scot aka Handyman
7. Ed aka Diver Ed & Sister
8. Dan aka Rookie and Seastar
9. Jim aka Twin Screws
10. Larry aka Orcaman
11. Carla aka rkymtwy
12. Steve aka soonerdiver

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users