• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2014-02: Feb 9-16, 2014 Truk Lagoon...Redeux!

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#76 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

Mike I'm in Dominica so can not call. But I already know that this credit can not be used by agents or air consolidators....we've tried before. Why don't you book the air yourself to LAX? You only need to have a 2 hr buffer in LAX for flight delays. Of course more than 2 hrs is better.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#77 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Mike I'm in Dominica so can not call. But I already know that this credit can not be used by agents or air consolidators....we've tried before. Why don't you book the air yourself to LAX? You only need to have a 2 hr buffer in LAX for flight delays. Of course more than 2 hrs is better.

Kamala,

Thanks. That's fine about the credit (I figured it was probably not possible and if you have tried before, no reason to try again). Posted Image

Before I commit to booking the LAX flight I would like to have a confirmed and booked final leg of the rest of the journey. I don't want to book a flight to LAX only to have the other flights change for some reason. Again if there's anyway for me to pass my info to the person that can book the ticket I'm willing to do the legwork (I would only call for this trip and would book with SingleDivers as the contact).

I just looked at United.com and the options seem endless to book a flight Posted Image and I'm not sure what the final itinerary would be for me to be a day early in HNL. I know your traveling frequently so if there's absolutely anyway for me to get the info to the consolidator (or have them contact me) I know it would help my anxiety. If the consolidator finds a flight from Chicago to LAX that is compatible with the itinerary I can book that segment separately if that works. I know there's a small charge for using the service.

-Mike

P.S. I can put together a PDF form for the flight information for people if I know what fields are needed. The PDF would have electronically fill-able fields with explanations. I'm more than willing to put this together if it can help get information together faster.

#78 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

UPDATE:

The delay is with the consolidator. As I mentioned before this is a favor they do for us, so sometimes it takes more time to go this route. In this day and age of self service you can understand. Everyone is free to book their own flights and most do it themselves anyway so you 'pay' a bit more for service.

Now for specific updates. Our consolidator has been trying to find us the best deals and here is the situation.

Routings:

1. If we do 2 nites in HNL as we have originally toyed with it will add $250 to the ticket price + the $30 booking fee. (The latter has been applied already for those wishing air assistance so far.)

2. The good news is the air is about the same since we last checked it but we do wish to move forward soon.

3. Adding 1 nite in HNL or going direct does not chg the price from LAX.

4. Adding the add'l connecting city in SOME cases only add about $250-$300 more so that is pretty good.

Recap of Requested Tickets so Far:

1. Mike: STARTING FROM CHICAGO 2 nites in HNL to break trip up and sightseeing + truk and Palau trip options with 1 night in Guam on the way to Palau OR he may do the non-stop below which is already priced.
2 Tim Thomas STARTING FROM PHOENIX 2 nites in HNL to break trip up and sightseeing + truk and Palau trip options with 1 night in Guam on the way to Palau
3. Jerry Smeltzer STARTING FROM BWI, PHI, or EWR (as non-stop as possible to HNL) 2 nites in HNL to break trip up and sightseeing + truk and Palau trip options with 1 night in Guam on the way to Palau
4. Ed Styffe STARTING FROM SAV 2 nites in HNL to break trip up and sightseeing + truk and Palau trip options with 1 night in Guam on the way to Palau
OR he may start in HNL. Can you price it both ways?

Form for Info:

The form is done and will be available for use by tomorrow. (It was part of a bigger project to automate all our forms so has not been released until now.)

CALL TO ACTION:

1. Let me know what you want to do. Do you still want to do 2 nites in HNL or just one or fly straight thru? I do not want to have the consolidator price everything out multiple ways if we can avoid it. If $250 on top of the previously priced tickets plus the $300 local fare is too much then stay with 1 nite or no nites in HNL and call it a wrap.
2. I will get the new form posted today and you can start filling it out. :thankyou:/>

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#79 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

I will opt out of the second night in Hawaii, to save the $250. As long as I have the one night to rest the back, I will work with that. Ed

#80 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

To be clear, I am Truk only.

Posted Image

#81 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

To be clear, I am Truk only.

Posted Image

Thank you Tim!

formerly...

#82 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I thought I'd bring this thread back to the top. I was thinking about using this thread to discuss shipwrecks, diveplans and gear choices. That will free up the other thread for travel issues. What does everyone else think of the idea.?

I'm going to throw out there the question of primary and backup dive lights. I have an uber sweet Greenforce canister light as a primary dive light.but whatever light you choose I would highly recommend rechargeable batteries. There are no stores on the boat and hauling all the needed batteries to Truk is not a good idea. There are plenty of standard us 120vac outlets on board I think they are 50hz but unless your running an ac motor you won't notice the missing 10hz.

In 2011 I did 22 dives and all but 2 had some penetration and many had significant time where I needed a good light. A couple were night dives. My strategy for batteries is to only use one kind. In my instance I use AA batteries in everything; camera strobe, video light, 6AA in backup light. 2AA in emergency strobe. And lastly 4 in my surface camera. That way I always have the batteries I need for whatever I'm going to do.

Anyone else have a good strategy they want to share?

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#83 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm Truk and Palau I still want to arrive in hnl a day early. The USS Arizona is truly a bucket list item for me. The $250 additional airfare and whatever extra night in hnl....as they say...PRICELESS. I need to pay my respects.

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   

#84 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Gotcha Jerry. I will get your ticket booked. Tim I will get yours booked as well...do you want 1 or 2 nites in HNL? Ed I'll see what the price is for 1 nite in HNL from SAV and just from HNL.

Mike what do you want to do?

formerly...

#85 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Jerry I prefer to keep everything in the one thread. We can break topics out later when we open the special discussion forums. :thankyou:

formerly...

#86 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Roger that.

#87 ScubaTurtle

ScubaTurtle

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Board Status:Trying to figure out my next trip...
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Solo Diver, Nitrox, Wreck, Deep
  • Logged Dives:160

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Gotcha Jerry. I will get your ticket booked. Tim I will get yours booked as well...do you want 1 or 2 nites in HNL? Ed I'll see what the price is for 1 nite in HNL from SAV and just from HNL.

Kamala,
Sorry I've been out out pocket all day. Just finished riding a 200k ride (Yes on a bicycle).

I think based on the extra airfare cost being an added $250 I'm also going to pass on the extra night in HNL. It's already an expensive trip and I know there are going to be other things that come up that I'll need to fund for this vacation. Sorry Jerry! I was looking forward to hanging out before the vacation.

In summary for HNL Option:
I'll just take the booking from Chicago through with the normal group itinerary. The extra $250-300 for the connecting flight is definitely a good deal. Please add that to my itinerary. I was getting pricing of ~$400.

Mike: STARTING FROM CHICAGO 2 nites in HNL to break trip up and sightseeing + truk and Palau trip options with 1 night in Guam on the way to Palau OR he may do the non-stop below which is already priced.

Confused on the skipping days issue:
I'm OK skipping any days in a hotel as long as it does not impact diving (i.e. Number of possible dives available to me on the boat). I'm a little confused as to the layover option between Truk and Palau but as long as I don't miss any diving I'm ok heading straight to Palau with no nights in Guam. I guess I would need to know what the advantage of staying in Guam is? If time is an issue I'll just do whatever a majority of the group is doing between Truk and Palau.

Thanks Kamala!!Posted ImagePosted Image
I'm headed home from WI now so I'll be able to respond again tonight if needed quickly.

Form for Info:
The form is done and will be available for use by tomorrow. (It was part of a bigger project to automate all our forms so has not been released until now.)

No problem on the form Kamala. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I could assist with.

Edited by ScubaTurtle, 01 June 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#88 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Mike...I will work on the flights as requested. The day layover in Guam is basically a REALLY LONG DAY ROOM. If you look at the hours on the flight you'll understand. We can probably put a few more people to a room in Guam if people are interested but you all won't be able to sleep that way. We can still figure this out later...for now I want to get the flights locked in. Kamala

formerly...

#89 Buzo Guero

Buzo Guero

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Board Status:Palau Siren
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Solo
  • Logged Dives:1073

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

As many times as I've been to Oahu, it's time for me to go to Pearl & pay my respects to the Arizona, as well. Can't think of a better time than on the way to Truk. 2 nights, please!

#90 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Roger that Tim. I'll get you the final quote. Kamala

formerly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users