• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Age Differences

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#346 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:28 AM

One thing about the "mid-life crisis" scenario that must really be put into perspective.............And as it were I imagine I fit the standard parameters.....
After the kids are raised and the business is fruitful one maybe has the opportunity, money and time to realize some of those lifetime dreams........finally.
Some may lean towards toys or way of life,too each perhaps different. But yep, I fit...And lovin' every minute of it. :welcome: I may have to get old, But I sure as hell don't have to grow up!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#347 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Though...I have noticed that the trend seems to be men have been having their "mid-life" crises earlier and earlier in recent years.  Perhap youth breeds impatience and they are eager to have the excuse to get that Porsche!

Two thoughts . . .

I don't think mid-life crises are are the exclusive domain of men. I think women have them as well (think 'cougars') but perhaps this wasn't as evident in the past since men traditionally were more 'free' than women, ie. more money, and less responsibility regarding children and household. Now, of course, with women on more equal footing with men, the playing field has leveled out.

For some people, it's not even a mid-life crisis per se. Crisis implies a phase from which they will pass. I think some people will always want the toys (Porsche) over more meaningful things. Regardless of profession, education, social status, etc., some people are just by nature less emotionally mature and/or more materialistic than others. So, if by chance, they do seek out a partner, it won't necessarily be for love, but for the cache that partner brings to their list of 'achievements' and acquisitions.

(Not bad for 9:30 in the morning! And with a headache yet!! :welcome:)

#348 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:35 AM

Two thoughts . . .

I don't think mid-life crises are are the exclusive domain of men. I think women have them as well (think 'cougars') but perhaps this wasn't as evident in the past since men traditionally were more 'free' than women, ie. more money, and less responsibility regarding children and household. Now, of course, with women on more equal footing with men, the playing field has leveled out.

For some people, it's not even a mid-life crisis per se. Crisis implies a phase from which they will pass. I think some people will always want the toys (Porsche) over more meaningful things. Regardless of profession, education, social status, etc., some people are just by nature less emotionally mature and/or more materialistic than others. So, if by chance, they do seek out a partner, it won't necessarily be for love, but for the cache that partner brings to their list of 'achievements' and acquisitions.

(Not bad for 9:30 in the morning! And with a headache yet!! :welcome:)

Some VERY good points, indeed! Women definitely have mid-life crises -- not too surprising considering what some have to put up with! :) Bring on the trophy boyfriends/husbands! :welcome: LOL

And yes....some people never grow up, much less regress to have a mid-life crisis! Why IS that?! Fellas -- we like MEN...! :welcome:

Edited by Bahamasita, 28 May 2005 - 10:36 AM.

#349 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:48 AM

Fellas -- we like MEN...!  :welcome:

Indeed!

Walter, are you there? :welcome:

But since you're too far away, know anyone just like you in Vancouver? :welcome:

#350 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

Just one woman's perspective! LOL

Darlin', I wasn't disagreeing with you, but when I think of instant gratification my mind usually focuses in on a particular group famous for marketing the concept.

I don't think mid-life crises are are the exclusive domain of men. I think women have them as well (think 'cougars')

Please explain the cougars reference.

And yes....some people never grow up, much less regress to have a mid-life crisis! Why IS that?! Fellas -- we like MEN...!

Well young lady, I don't have the answer. I opted to grow up early (about age 4), but kept the childlike ability to play and enjoy the wonder of life.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#351 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

I don't think mid-life crises are are the exclusive domain of men. I think women have them as well (think 'cougars')

Please explain the cougars reference.

My understanding of 'cougars':

Older women going out with significantly younger men for the sole purpose of sexual gratification. No 'relationships' allowed!

For more definitions, see urbandictionary.com

Edited by annasea, 28 May 2005 - 11:01 AM.

#352 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

I opted to grow up early (about age 4), but kept the childlike ability to play and enjoy the wonder of life.

A terrific quality that we love about you, Walter....and one everyone should have! :welcome:

#353 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

Walter, are you there? 

But since you're too far away, know anyone just like you in Vancouver?

I'm here, darlin'. Can't help you with contacts in Vancouver and I'm staying here until I can move from this semi-tropical semi-paradise to a tropical paradise. Anyone want to live in a warm water area?

DSSW,

WWW™

#354 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:44 AM

Anyone want to live in a warm water area?

Walter, my dear, I know you'll get plenty of takers on this one! :welcome:

#355 hydrophilicity

hydrophilicity

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

Ok - So...I thought I'd take a look back at this topic.  I recently started kinda sorta seeing someone..Um...My dad's age!  Not only that, but he's 2 other things on my 'deal -breaker' list: a non-diver and a smoker.  He IS at least a sailor (and that's how I met him).  I must be nuts.  There's no chance of this developing into anything.  Maybe it's preparing me to be more comfortable dating someone older (but not THAT much older) than me? I would have been leery about dating anyone over , say, 39 before....

Somebody slap me, shakeme, shoot me...I don't know what!!!  What am I THINKING?!?!

Here I am glancing back over this thread thinking about the last year of my life. Wish somebody told me to RUN when I first posted this. Yeah, I know..I wouldn't have listened. This thread far outlasted my relationship. :dltears: I guess I have some data to contribute towards answering this question now....

#356 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:36 PM

Woman's intuition is an amazing thing, too bad we don't always listen to it.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#357 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:06 PM

I guess I have some data to contribute towards answering this question now....

And your contribution would be...

About a year ago, I had a guy about old enough to be my father take an interest in me. We were both members of a singles group and I had some inside info on him that he would "only date women in their 30's". I didn't know quite how to tell him I'd left my 30's in Okinawa several years ago. In addition to having NO interest in hanging out with my dad, this guy smelled of abuse issues. The ony thing that came to mind if I even thought of seeing this guy was YUUK! He didn't take it well. I told the girl that ran the organization to tell him it would never work between us...we both wanted someone 10 years younger than me. She got a kick out of it. Don't think he thought it was very funny. Seriously, I've always felt more comfortable dating guys within 5 or 6 years of my age (either way).
"

#358 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:02 AM

Ok - So...I thought I'd take a look back at this topic.  I recently started kinda sorta seeing someone..Um...My dad's age!  Not only that, but he's 2 other things on my 'deal -breaker' list: a non-diver and a smoker.  He IS at least a sailor (and that's how I met him).  I must be nuts.  There's no chance of this developing into anything.  Maybe it's preparing me to be more comfortable dating someone older (but not THAT much older) than me? I would have been leery about dating anyone over , say, 39 before....

Somebody slap me, shakeme, shoot me...I don't know what!!!  What am I THINKING?!?!

Here I am glancing back over this thread thinking about the last year of my life. Wish somebody told me to RUN when I first posted this. Yeah, I know..I wouldn't have listened. This thread far outlasted my relationship. :dltears: I guess I have some data to contribute towards answering this question now....

Ha, ha... not laughing at you, but know the frustration of trying to find someone that meets your "criteria". And I remember the line... "to thine own self be true". When we overlook deal breakers, it is only a matter of time before it catches up with us.

You are a very pretty lady... blessed with great natural beauty. You will recover from this failed relationship and if you are true to what you know is right you will find the one with whom you are able to bless each other... and be happy together. Every "failed" relationship is a learning experience. Just look at how much more you know now, and apparently how much you validated what you knew before! Chin up, lass.... put the wind in your sails and move ahead!

:birthday:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#359 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

So Jen, what was the deal breaker - no balsamic vinegar?

DSSW,

WWW™

#360 hydrophilicity

hydrophilicity

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 03 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

So Jen, what was the deal breaker - no balsamic vinegar?

LOL!!! No, that was MALT vinegar! You don't put balsamic on fish&chips!! :teeth:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users