• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2014-07: NC WRECKS & SHARKS.... REDUEX!!! July 17-22, 2014

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

To think that at the beginning of the week in Saba my consumption was probably a bit better than yours. Should have never should you any tricks!
Besides it's not just about how long you stay down there, technique is just as important! (T-shirt anyone?) When you're down there and the pressure of having to hit all those :fish:, knowing that Brad and I are on the hunt :diver:. I've seen people fold before, hope your nerves are solid! Don't crack, don't miss, low kill count buys first round! :lmao:

Ah, but with my air consumption (and diving the cochran) I will get much more time below to make the kills than you boys Posted Image

I see potential challenges and wagers afoot! I'll try to leave some alive for you two :lmao:!

Super stoked aobut this trip! Also, I'd like to use a cochran computer...more bottom time = more lionfish kills Posted Image

You will need every advantage to match MY Lionfish killing prowess! Posted Image Yes that is a gauntlet being thrown... :diver:

Anyway, you are down for a Cochran! Posted Image

#32 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

[color=#0000FF]NAME aka SCREEN NAME MUKTUK
Nitrox Fills: yes or no YES
Nitrox Rentals: yes or no YES

Hi Marc and welcome aboard the NC Wrecks and Sharks trip! :welcome: As you are flying in to this party I'm guessing you meant to request Nitrox Rentals only in your Booking Template, but I've seen people show up at the airport Arrivals pick up are with doubles(!) so please reply and confirm at your earliest convenience. Also remember you will need to upgrade to Premier membership - our records indicate your last subscription expired last July. Thanks! :diver:
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#33 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I can't believe we're already talkin' smack almost five months out. :huh: No pressure, Maura. :o OR Jose! :glare: It's a Lionfish Sweepstakes, and I got a nice sharp five-tined broom I intend to use expertly to sweep you both aside! :ninja: Guess the guy shooters will have to be Lionfish Ninjas, all the tiaras are occupied! :rolleyes:

To think that at the beginning of the week in Saba my consumption was probably a bit better than yours. Should have never should you any tricks!
Besides it's not just about how long you stay down there, technique is just as important! (T-shirt anyone?) When you're down there and the pressure of having to hit all those :fish:, knowing that Brad and I are on the hunt :diver:. I've seen people fold before, hope your nerves are solid! Don't crack, don't miss, low kill count buys first round! :lmao:

Ah, but with my air consumption (and diving the cochran) I will get much more time below to make the kills than you boys Posted Image

I see potential challenges and wagers afoot! I'll try to leave some alive for you two :lmao:!

Super stoked about this trip! Also, I'd like to use a cochran computer...more bottom time = more lionfish kills Posted Image

You will need every advantage to match MY Lionfish killing prowess! Posted Image Yes that is a gauntlet being thrown... :diver:
Anyway, you are down for a Cochran! Posted Image

Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#34 Jocassee Joe

Jocassee Joe

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hey Kamala,

I hope Bill and you are having a great time in TRUK.

I want to join you on the Morehead City trip. I just paid my deposit. As usual I am having difficulty with the trip template. I don't know if it is the old computer I am using or the old guy trying to do it---Probably both.My computer skills are as bad as my diving skills. I am going to try to give you guys the basic information and myabe you, Clint, or Brad could help me with the template.

Screen Name : Jocassee Joe
Drive In package.
Double Occupancy
Extra day: 1---would like to spend Monday night 7/21 if avaiiable---don't want a 400 mile drive after diving all day
Nitrox Fills: yes 30%
Nitrox rentals: no I will bring my own tanks (aluminum 100's and 19 pony) I will supply my own weights
Dive Insurance: DAN #1131864
Trip Insurance: will purchase

I am really looking forward to diving Morehead again and meeting everyone on the trip.
Kamala, You guys are missing the major storm---wish I was with you !!! My power could probably go at anytime but I will check back as often as I can.
Thanks,
Joe

#35 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hey Kamala,
I hope Bill and you are having a great time in TRUK.
I want to join you on the Morehead City trip. I just paid my deposit. As usual I am having difficulty with the trip template. I don't know if it is the old computer I am using or the old guy trying to do it---Probably both.My computer skills are as bad as my diving skills. I am going to try to give you guys the basic information and myabe you, Clint, or Brad could help me with the template.
Drive In package.
Double Occupancy
Extra day: 1---would like to spend Monday night 7/21 if avaiiable---don't want a 400 mile drive after diving all day
Nitrox rentals: no I will bring my own tanks (aluminum 100's and 19 pony) I will supply my own weights
I am really looking forward to diving Morehead again and meeting everyone on the trip.
Kamala, You guys are missing the major storm---wish I was with you !!! My power could probably go at anytime but I will check back as often as I can.
Thanks,
Joe

Hello Joe, I can help you with your Booking Template. Please note what I have highlighted in bold and italics what you wrote in your post (right here in this same window, just about this paragraph). You want the 4 night drive in package with an extra night - that is exactly what the Fly In Package is, giving the flyers time to off gas before flying the next day. So I will prepare your template to request the Fly In Package but with a note under the Flight Schedule portion to explain you are driving in but gtaking advantage of the extra available night to rest up. If you check out my template you will see that is what I am doing. :cool1:

I will take the information you have provided and post a draft of your template below this one soon, so watch for it and when you see it post a reply that you approve of it or if not, what we need to change. This is not a service we can afford to offer everybody but I am happy to help you out on this occasion. :)

#36 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

*Snipped Prior*
I want to join you on the Morehead City trip. I just paid my deposit. As usual I am having difficulty with the trip template. I don't know if it is the old computer I am using or the old guy trying to do it---Probably both. My computer skills are as bad as my diving skills. I am going to try to give you guys the basic information and myabe you, Clint, or Brad could help me with the template.
Drive In package.
Double Occupancy
*snipped remainder*

Here with the template Joe, please reply to confirm you agree and if not what you would like me to change. Look forward to meeting you in NC. :diver:

7. Joe aka Jocassee Joe
Payments Summary To Date: We will post your payments as we receive them
NC FlyIn Pkg 5/4 or DriveIn Pkg 4/4 (TELL US WHICH PKG): FlyIn Pkg 5/4 *SEE FLIGHT NOTES*
D/O or S/O: CHOOSE Double or Single Occupancy (All s/o has to be approved by Kamala and are extremely limited possible only 1-2 on this trip) D/O
Extra Days/Nights: # of extra nites you plan to stay None needed with FlyIn Package
Nitrox Fills (for your tanks): yes or no YES 30% I am bringing aluminum 100's and 19 pony
Nitrox Rentals (includes fills): yes or no NO
Air Fills: (same price as nitrox) yes or no NO
Air Rentals: (same price as nitrox) yes or no NO
Weights: How much do you need? (If diving steel deduct 4lbs from diving AL80) OR if planning to bring weights as they will be scarce! Need # or Got my own Got my own
Documents: SD Waiver: ___ SD Survey___ - SD Ins Summary ___ List when Rec'd & Faxed to SD.com
Dive Insurance Current: Name of Provider & Policy # DAN #1131864
Trip Insurance CHOOSE A or B or C: B
b. I will purchase trip insurance to cover this trip
Flight Details: Tell us your flight details here (Must arrive by 3pm on 17th and depart 5pm or later on 22nd)
I will be driving in but will take advantage of the rest from an extra night 7/21 that is included in the Fly In Package
Other: Let us know if you have special dietary needs, gear rental needs, sight seeing needs, or want a "Dive Mentor aka Rent-A-Buddy"
Available Discounts (PLEASE DELETE THOSE THAT YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR):
a. I paid in full by 2-14-14 and got to choose from the limited number of steel 120's or 100's available on this trip AND I will be entered TWICE into a contest to win a new FREE TRI-LENGTH LIONFISH TRAVEL SPEAR
b. I deposited by 2-14-14 and get first dibs on limited STEEL tanks after those paid in full decide what they want or don't want.
c. I deposited by 4-14-14 and I will be entered ONCE into a contest to win a new FREE TRI-LENGTH LIONFISH TRAVEL SPEAR (if paid in full by 2-14-14 you get to add this chance to the 2 you got for early pay)
d. I liked Facebook's Facebook Page HERE and joined SingleDiver's Group HERE for ONE Chance to win a new FREE TRI-LENGTH LIONFISH TRAVEL SPEAR. (Applies even if you have already liked us and/or joined)
e. I submitted my documents within 3 weeks of signing up for the trip, so no $75 document fee.
f. I am Active Duty Military in a country that fights for FREEDOM with the USA so I qualify for an add'l $50 off
g. I am a premier member of SD.com and I can send in my SD.com member rebate within 30 days after the trip for an additional $25 off.

• WreckWench likes this

#37 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Just back from some local diving here in AK and saw the trip has opened up.
Put in deposit.
Hopefully there is a spot still open.
Marc

Hi Marc, we overlooked added how much weight people will need in the Booking Template until after you had submitted yours, sorry about that. For mysterious reasons weights are at a premium in that area, so please reply with how much weight you will need so we can reserve it in advance with the DO. Thanks in advance! :diver:

#38 Jocassee Joe

Jocassee Joe

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

*Snipped Prior*
I want to join you on the Morehead City trip. I just paid my deposit. As usual I am having difficulty with the trip template. I don't know if it is the old computer I am using or the old guy trying to do it---Probably both. My computer skills are as bad as my diving skills. I am going to try to give you guys the basic information and myabe you, Clint, or Brad could help me with the template.
Drive In package.
Double Occupancy
*snipped remainder*

Here with the template Joe, please reply to confirm you agree and if not what you would like me to change. Look forward to meeting you in NC. :diver:/>

7. Joe aka Jocassee Joe
NC FlyIn Pkg 5/4 or DriveIn Pkg 4/4 (TELL US WHICH PKG): FlyIn Pkg 5/4 *SEE FLIGHT NOTES*
D/O or S/O: CHOOSE Double or Single Occupancy (All s/o has to be approved by Kamala and are extremely limited possible only 1-2 on this trip) D/O
Extra Days/Nights: # of extra nites you plan to stay None needed with FlyIn Package
Nitrox Fills (for your tanks): yes or no YES 30% I am bringing aluminum 100's and 19 pony
Weights: How much do you need? (If diving steel deduct 4lbs from diving AL80) OR if planning to bring weights as they will be scarce! Need # or Got my own Got my own
Documents: SD Waiver: ___ SD Survey___ - SD Ins Summary ___ List when Rec'd & Faxed to SD.com
Flight Details: Tell us your flight details here (Must arrive by 3pm on 17th and depart 5pm or later on 22nd)
I will be driving in but will take advantage of the rest from an extra night 7/21 that is included in the Fly In Package
Other: Let us know if you have special dietary needs, gear rental needs, sight seeing needs, or want a "Dive Mentor aka Rent-A-Buddy"
a. I paid in full by 2-14-14 and got to choose from the limited number of steel 120's or 100's available on this trip AND I will be entered TWICE into a contest to win a new FREE TRI-LENGTH LIONFISH TRAVEL SPEAR
b. I deposited by 2-14-14 and get first dibs on limited STEEL tanks after those paid in full decide what they want or don't want.
c. I deposited by 4-14-14 and I will be entered ONCE into a contest to win a new FREE TRI-LENGTH LIONFISH TRAVEL SPEAR (if paid in full by 2-14-14 you get to add this chance to the 2 you got for early pay)
d. I liked Facebook's Facebook Page HERE and joined SingleDiver's Group HERE for ONE Chance to win a new FREE TRI-LENGTH LIONFISH TRAVEL SPEAR. (Applies even if you have already liked us and/or joined)
e. I submitted my documents within 3 weeks of signing up for the trip, so no $75 document fee.
f. I am Active Duty Military in a country that fights for FREEDOM with the USA so I qualify for an add'l $50 off
g. I am a premier member of SD.com and I can send in my SD.com member rebate within 30 days after the trip for an additional $25 off.

Brad,
Thank you so much for the help with the template. Kamala helped me with the Roatan trip but I know shw is away for a few weeks and I did not want the trip to book up.I am still a little confused about pricing. What I wanted was the Drive In package for $859. for 4 nights. I thought you could add one extra night for $65 which would total $924. The Fly in package with 5 night and transfers was $998---seems like this would cost me an additional $74 and I don't need transfers. Don't mean to be a cheapskate but that $74 would pay for tank fills. I am monetarily challenged after Bill sold me a drysuit.If I can add an extra night for $65 fine. If I can't just book me for the Drive in package and I can drive a little ways on Monday night and get a room on my own in New Bern or something. Again, thank you so much for the help and I am looking forward to meeting you.

Joe

#39 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

*Snipped Prior*
Drive In package.
Double Occupancy
*snipped remainder*

Here with the template Joe, please reply to confirm you agree and if not what you would like me to change. Look forward to meeting you in NC. :diver:

7. Joe aka Jocassee Joe
NC FlyIn Pkg 5/4 or DriveIn Pkg 4/4 (TELL US WHICH PKG): DriveIn Pkg 4/4
Extra Days/Nights: # of extra nites you plan to stay One extra D/O the night of 21Feb (if available)
Flight Details: Tell us your flight details here (Must arrive by 3pm on 17th and depart 5pm or later on 22nd)N/A

Brad,
Thank you so much for the help with the template. Kamala helped me with the Roatan trip but I know shw is away for a few weeks and I did not want the trip to book up.I am still a little confused about pricing. What I wanted was the Drive In package for $859. for 4 nights. I thought you could add one extra night for $65 which would total $924. The Fly in package with 5 night and transfers was $998---seems like this would cost me an additional $74 and I don't need transfers. Don't mean to be a cheapskate but that $74 would pay for tank fills. I am monetarily challenged after Bill sold me a drysuit.If I can add an extra night for $65 fine. If I can't just book me for the Drive in package and I can drive a little ways on Monday night and get a room on my own in New Bern or something. Again, thank you so much for the help and I am looking forward to meeting you.
Joe

Actually Joe I thought I was saving you a few bucks, my apologies. I forgot there are other charges involved with the FlyIn Package. The problem is after the dust settles with sign ups Kamala may or may not be able to offer you the extra night as D/O. We will not know until we are fully booked or very late in the process whether there will be a FlyIn member to bunk you with on the last night. She has to honor the FlyIn Package folks as a priority. The line in the pricing section reads:
"Extra Days: - $65 for d/o ( if available...rooms are very limited on holiday weeks ) includes hotel taxes or $125 for s/o includes hotel taxes."

With that said, I have amended the template in this reply to reflect the DriveIn Package with the request for extra day D/O (the night of 21 Feb) with a note if Kamala can work her D/O magic. Let me know if that will work for you, and thanks for your patience. Odds are she will pull another rabbit out of that SingleDivers.com hat, I just can't write checks she has to cash... :respect:

#40 Jocassee Joe

Jocassee Joe

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thanks, Brad

That is what I wanted. If the extra night works out that will be great. If not I am sure I can find my own room somewhere Monday night (New Bern, etc). I am hoping to talk some others in to the trip.I am going to call Charlie and I am really begging everyone's favorite dive buddy Super Suzi to come and join us.Perhaps some of you have more influence than me, so give her a call !

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the Crystal Coast,
Joe

#41 Muktuk

Muktuk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox,GUE fundies, GUE Rec 2
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Just back from some local diving here in AK and saw the trip has opened up.
Put in deposit.
Hopefully there is a spot still open.
Marc

Hi Marc, we overlooked added how much weight people will need in the Booking Template until after you had submitted yours, sorry about that. For mysterious reasons weights are at a premium in that area, so please reply with how much weight you will need so we can reserve it in advance with the DO. Thanks in advance! Posted Image

Hey Marc here,
For weights, I'll dive an extra 10 pounds.
For tanks, I'd like to use steel 100's if available.
I plan to use nitrox, but will renting tanks, not hauling my own cross country.

For diving this time of year, are folks diving dry, or in wetsuits?
I can bring either.
Cheers,
Marc

#42 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hey Marc here,
For weights, I'll dive an extra 10 pounds. For tanks, I'd like to use steel 100's if available. I plan to use nitrox, but will renting tanks, not hauling my own cross country. For diving this time of year, are folks diving dry, or in wetsuits? I can bring either.
Cheers,
Marc

Thanks for the quick reply Marc. You are down for #10 pounds, I should have referenced the steel tanks and Kamala's note to reduce what is used diving aluminum tanks by around four pounds. If you do not mention this in your reply I will take it to mean you are experienced with steel tanks and the ten pounds takes this into account.

By making your deposit before 2/14 your are on the eligible list to request to dive with the limited number of steel 100's available. But you must complete payment in full of the trip price (in this case a balance of $498) to lock in your reservation for the steel 100's. As of today there are about ten slots left but to ensure you get your 100's I would not dally too long. :respect: We have you down for EAN fills.

Also an important question regarding temperatures. This will be my third NC Wreck and Sharks trip(!). The thermocline obviously will vary year to year in depth and chilliness, but here is my personal experience:
In 2010 over July 4th week the thermocline was consistently right along the (flat as a pancake for literally hundreds of spare miles) bottom, say the last 5-6 feet, and dropped from 80-82F to 68-70F. I wore NO wetsuit most of the week, the notable exception a shallow depression with one of the rare limestone reefs in the area, and then my full 5mm was plenty. (The group photo in the first post of this trip topic was from that trip, and the monster lobster Kamala is (helped) holding up was off that very reef.) :cool1: In 2013 the thermocline was considerably shallower, say around 30 feet off the bottom, and was again in the upper 60's. Again my trusty full five was up to the task.

Hope This Helps,

#43 Jocassee Joe

Jocassee Joe

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

I have dived Morehead City on Memorial Day weekend, August, and September and I have always been confortable in a 3/2 wetsuit.

I plan on taking my Henderson 3/2 Full wetsuit
Polartech vest and hood
Gloves---really need them for the anchor line and around the wrecks
A safety sausage or SMB---maybe both
Line reel
Dive alert air horn

As Kamala stated this is Big Boy/Big Girl diving way off shore.You could easily find yourself in a "open water" situation for real if you were to lose the anchor line or get swept off a wreck.It happens out there.I have also seen guys fail to monitor bottom times and get in trouble trying to do DECO in a current.I warned the NUTS about this on the Papoose but I am just an old DM that don't know anything.Fortunately they surfaced close enough for the Olympus to see them and pick them up.

Hope this info helps some of the newer divers, Joe

Edited by Jocassee Joe, 14 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#44 Muktuk

Muktuk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox,GUE fundies, GUE Rec 2
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

file://localhost/Users/marcconnelly/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Modified/2014/whittier/IMG_0375.jpg

thanks for the info on NC dive conditions.
sounds almost balmy compared to the diving up here: have to go into the water to warm up from ambient temps of 15 to water temps of 39 degrees.
I'll leave the drysuit and argon at home.
Marc

Attached Files

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Welcome Marc...you'll love this trip!

Hey Joe...welcome too...are you bringing your wife or just flying solo?

The trip is starting to flesh out nicely! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users