• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is everyone doing for Turkey Day?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:01 AM

So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? I will get to spend the first turkey day in about 15 years with my mom! And it will be her first ever Texas Turkey Day...hmm....kinda sounds about right don't you think? Texas Turkey Day that is! LOL!!!

What about everyone else? Any diving going on? Any travel? -ww

P.S. for those of you traveling over the holiday...whether across town or across the country...you are in our thoughts and prayers for safety. And for our proud military fighting to allow us the pleasure of this special thanksgiving day...thank you all VERY MUCH!!! We are so fortunate that we have such strong and brave soldiers. May you know you are in all of our hearts and minds this week. Kamala :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:18 AM

On Thanksgiving in 1998, I met a couple guys (MB & Moo) for the first time for some dives in the Keys. After the dives, we (and 3 other folks - JED, Rachelle & Fran) went out for dinner. While enjoying the company, we realized that was our Thanksgiving dinner. Since then, we've become very good friends and made hundreds of dives together. Every Thanksgiving, we get together for some morning dives followed by a nice dinner. Exactly who participates varies from year to year, but MB and I have made it every year and Moo's only missed one. Some folks join us for the dives, then have dinner with their family, others join us for dinner. MB (& now Joann, since he married a couple years back) has hosted dinner for the past several years and his mom (a very sweet lady) puts the tryptophan in the oven while we're out diving. I'm very happy to report this year we'll be joined for the first time for both diving and dinner by Marvelicious.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:19 AM

Assuming weather cooperates, Donna, Walter, Marvel, and I will be diving on T-Day morning off Deerfield Beach with other friends. My daughter, Elizabeth will be bubble watching. She hasn't dived since 1999. Then in the afternoon, Donna, Elizabeth, and I will be having Thanksgiving with Donna's parents. Walter, Marvel (I assume Marvel is going), and crew will be at MB's (a very dear friend of ours that lives in Delray Beach) for Thanksgiving dinner.

It should be a very nice day.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:24 AM

I am staying home with my brother and making dinner for us while watching the Detroit Lions get trounched on National TV.

I am driving down to the quarry for some diving on Friday and possibly on Saturday.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:36 AM

I'm baking my turkey today so I can eat it tonight and tomorrow. Then on Thanksgiving I will probably do a few dives (assuming the water has settled down after last weekend's storm) and join a few diver friends for more turkey... and lobster (a Catalina "tradition").

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family and friends, turkey and... maybe a little diving!

Dr. Bill

#6 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:45 AM

I'm heading up to Canada.

The Sunshine Coast to a dive resort up there:
http://www.porpoiseb....com/diving.htm

for the Turkey Time dive....

this will be the 6th? or 7th year of doing it.

Great diving, 50-120' vis, wall diving (600'+) and this year will be doing the Skookumchuck Rapids, one of the fastest tidal exchanges around. Only divable 1-2 times a year.

Mostly used by Kayakers as a standing wave...
Whitewater kayaking at the spectacular Skookumchuck Rapids, largest tidal rapids on the Pacific Coast.
http://www.egmont-ma...=2003071604&i=5

With a Boiled Turkey dinner and a visit or three? to the pub right across the way...

Here's some thumbnails (large pics lost) of previous trips...
http://www.poolesdiv...shine/index.htm

It's either that or having "Turkey a la Swan'son " watching the Twighlight Marathon on the Sci-fi channel... (or whatever it is for Thanksgiving day)

Ya'all hava good one, dive safe eh??? :welcome:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#7 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:02 AM

I'm doing Thanksgiving twice this week and neither on the day itself. I'm in Colorado visiting my parents so we are doing Thanksgiving today. I fly back to the bay area on Turkey Day (to avoid all the crazy people in the airport :welcome: ) and will be doing thanksgiving with my friends there on Friday. So by the end of the week I'll be about 18,000 lbs!!! :D

Scott

btw, I second Kamala's comments!!!

P.S. for those of you traveling over the holiday...whether across town or across the country...you are in our thoughts and prayers for safety. And for our proud military fighting to allow us the pleasure of this special thanksgiving day...thank you all VERY MUCH!!! We are so fortunate that we have such strong and brave soldiers. May you know you are in all of our hearts and minds this week. Kamala 

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#8 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:32 PM

I'll be doing Thanksgiving with some friends who live on the south side of Denver. We have a group of about 16-20 people and the venue changes each year. I'll be making my now famous Cognac Cream pie which I posted the recipe for in another forum. Everybody brings a dish and a bottle of wine. We start at noon with champagne and listen to Alice's Resturant. The party goes on all day and into the evening. I won't be driving home until the next day.

#9 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:39 PM

...I'll be making my now famous Cognac Cream pie which I posted the recipe for in another forum.
Everybody brings a dish and a bottle of wine.

We start at noon with champagne and listen to Alice's Resturant.

The party goes on all day and into the evening. I won't be driving home until the next day.

:lmao:
Now there's ma kinda Day... :teeth:
Gawd, have a good one..
and enjoy...
Geesh... doesn't get much better than that...

Used to do that on New Years day... watching the games...
Brings back fond memories... still chuckling...

Thanx for sharing... :teeth:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:55 PM

I'm baking my turkey today so I can eat it tonight and tomorrow. Then on Thanksgiving I will probably do a few dives (assuming the water has settled down after last weekend's storm) and join a few diver friends for more turkey... and lobster (a Catalina "tradition").

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family and friends, turkey and... maybe a little diving!

Dr. Bill

Calling Sunday morning's weather at Catalina a "storm" is like saying Jeffrey Dahmer had a little eating disorder. That was crazy!

I'll be cooking on Thursday, then watching a lot of college football Friday and Saturday, including witnessing that five-course meal of whoop-ass that defending national champ and current #1 USC will be serving up to Notre Dame!

Oh yeah ... and something about the girlfriend's family, blah blah blah.....
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:02 PM

Jamie,

I'm sorry you won't be able to dive. Maybe next year - you're welcome to join us.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the invite, Walter, perhaps next year I'll come on down!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:06 PM

It would be great to have you join us, buddy!

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:20 PM

I'll be traveling over to my sisters home in New Jersey for dinner with my mom, two of my sisters and one of my brothers. Toss in a few nieces and nephews and that makes 10 for dinner. Actually this will be the smallest T-day get together we've had in my lifetime. We usually have 20+ spread over two to three tables..
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#15 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:22 PM

I'm off to NC in the am, for Turkey Day with family. At least that is the plan, so far my flight is on time. I will be meeting my niece's new husband, a marine. So I will be able to share with one of the lucky one's stationed here. I'm sure I will see a few more military in my travel's.

Enjoy the day everyone and don't eat toooooo much!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users