• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2018-10:Raja Ampat, Oct 12-23, 2018 OPEN FOR BOOKING & DISCUSSION!!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#46 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Awesome tips Bill. Do you have any recommendations for Indonesian travel agents? I was hoping the boat could help us figure out the domestic flights. Jesterdiver and I plan to arrive in Bali a few days early, but will have to leave straight back to the US after the boat returns to Sorong.

In the past, I used Manado Safaris . There are 3 major domestic air carriers in Indonesia; Garuda, Lion Air, and Sriwajaya. You may want to check their websites for schedules, you'll be amazed by the number of choices[connections] there are. Most flights will either require over night travel and/or early arrival to your destination. It's good to have an understanding of what the domestic schedules are, when planning international arrivals & departures.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#47 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Awesome tips Bill. Do you have any recommendations for Indonesian travel agents? I was hoping the boat could help us figure out the domestic flights. Jesterdiver and I plan to arrive in Bali a few days early, but will have to leave straight back to the US after the boat returns to Sorong.

In the past, I used Manado Safaris . There are 3 major domestic air carriers in Indonesia; Garuda, Lion Air, and Sriwajaya. You may want to check their websites for schedules, you'll be amazed by the number of choices[connections] there are. Most flights will either require over night travel and/or early arrival to your destination. It's good to have an understanding of what the domestic schedules are, when planning international arrivals & departures.

Bill

We already have a contract with them and will be doing these arrangements for everyone. This will save on booking fees etc. He has been working with us our last several trips... he is the best.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#48 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Please add me to the waitlist or notify me when the 2019 trip opens. Thank you!

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#49 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,132 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

Please add me to the waitlist or notify me when the 2019 trip opens. Thank you!

Hi Gabrielle! Even if a spot does not open here, I hope you can make the 2019 trip instead. I have added your name to the wait list for 2018 as well as the notify list for 2019! *bubbles* :cloud9: :diver: x

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#50 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

​Don't mean to be an alarmist, but Indo is located in the 'ring of fire' - so volcanic activity can be an unexpected occurrence - as is happening now with Mt. Agung, on the north-eastern tip of Bali - while there is plenty of diving all around Bali - the affected areas, if there's a major eruption, may include Amed [Seraya] and Tulamben [Liberty Wreck]

FYI

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#51 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

​Thought y'all might be interested on what diving conditions could be for the trip & what you might see - Here's a link to the newsletter I receive from MisoolEcoResort - 'Misool's seasons' will answer some of those questions

​Bill

#52 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks Bill...all AWESOME info!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#53 DivinDoctorMom

DivinDoctorMom

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water Diver/Nitrox Certified, Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+ (yearly since 1991)

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Is anyone coming from the West Coast?  I'm looking for recommendations for flights from Portland, Oregon, the best place to live in the US.  :cool2:    :lol:  Kidding!!      :flower:   

Seriously, though, with the Bali volcano acting up (as Bill mentioned) and safety concerns in Jakarta, does anyone have any opinions on what would be my next best options?  I know it's still a year off, but I'd like to keep my eyes out for deals.  Should I check with Manado Safaris before purchasing tickets?

#54 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

Is anyone coming from the West Coast?  I'm looking for recommendations for flights from Portland, Oregon, the best place to live in the US.  :cool2:    :lol:  Kidding!!      :flower:   

Seriously, though, with the Bali volcano acting up (as Bill mentioned) and safety concerns in Jakarta, does anyone have any opinions on what would be my next best options?  I know it's still a year off, but I'd like to keep my eyes out for deals.  Should I check with Manado Safaris before purchasing tickets?

​Amy - congrats on living in the best place of the U.S.!!!

​It's hard for me to give you advice on what flights to book. I don't know how you like to travel - me, I want to get there [thanx to Ambien, I can sleep on a plane] - you might want to spend a day [or 2] in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bali, etc. - then make the flight[s] to Sorong [or make your stops on the way back, or both]

​Somewhere along the route, you will have a layover, the question becomes, is it a 6 hour [or longer] layover or a 3 hour - I know some/most Asian airports have a transit hotel in the international terminal, where you can get a room for 6 hours - many of them also offer other services, including massages, showers, and duty-free shopping. In my past 2 trips to Indo, I've spent 'bench time' outside the ticketing/check-in counter, since they won't check you in or allow you in the departure area until 3 hours prior to departure. If you're travelling through Bali - Denpasar [DPS] or Jakarta [CGK] you will have to transit between the international & domestic terminal - buses run between the two. The other 2 ports of entry; Manado and Makassar [UPG], I have no knowledge of their facilities.

​The major Asian travel hubs [I've found] are Narita/Tokyo [NRT], Seoul [ICN], Hong Kong [HKG], and Singapore [SIN] - all will give you access to Jakarta and Denpasar - Singapore will give you access to Manado and Makassar via Silk Air [the regional airline of Singapore Air] - Once you have a port of entry, then you'll fly by a domestic Indonesian carrier - If you want an idea of what airline goes where, 'search' the airport then go to the Wikipedia page to find what airlines provide service - here's a link to the Makassar airport [UPG] - next is the challenge of navigating each carrier's website to determine what their schedule/cost is [$1= 11-12,000 Rp]

​Hope you have some spare time - it can consume hours & schedules WILL change - but it's a start & you'll have a better understanding of the sacrifice you're willing to make in order to dive the best place in the world - I still recommend consulting and booking with Manado Safari

​While the trip I'm making is more complicated, I suggest you start with a calendar/spread sheet, outlining your trip [esp if laying over for a day or two] - input your departures and arrivals for each leg of your trip [great to give to your children - they'll know what airline, flt# & times] - remember Portland to Jakarta can take 2-3 days, including skipping ahead at the date line

​Hope I've helped.

Bill

• dive_sail_etc and DivinDoctorMom like this

#55 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

https://www.singledi...ssion/?p=331355

In the above post I outlined an expanded itinerary, based around the SingleDivers Damai group trip. I have since decided to flip the first and last destinations and the number of days spent at each. I have begun to make deposits for all of the stops, locking in current rates [TBD & MDR rates for dates beyond  June 30, 2018, have not yet been determined].

Below is my revised itinerary along with current cost info, and air cost quoted from Manado Safari in a recent email. I anticipate making my international reservations as soon as the airline begins to accept reservation/booking. I will be making this entire trip, but I invite anyone to join me for any of the other destinations. Please contact me via PM, if you would like to join me for this dive adventure, or would like more information.

Sep 28 – arrive Jakarta [CGK] – continue transit

Sep 29 – Oct 10 - Ambon [AMQ] >>> Kaimana [KNG]  – transit & transfer to Triton Bay Divers – Cost 3,480C /ppdo – incl. meals [w/water, tea, coffee], 3 dives/day, transport from/to Kaimana and 21% tax – not incl. soft drinks or juices, marine park fee 500,000rp [approx. $40], night dives 50C – EAN not available – Air cost CGK>>KNG $227

Oct. 12 transit – Kaimana [KNG] >>> Sorong [SOQ]- Air cost $107

Oct. 12-23 – SingleDivers.com – Damai II Raja Ampat cruise - overnight Oct 23 Sorong – cost $90

Oct. 24-31 – Misool Eco Resort] – Accomodation $2,825 ppdo – incl meals [w/water, tea, coffee] and tax  - Unlimited diving $1,045 incl. EAN [other pkg.  or ala carte  diving available]  - Transfer from/to Sorong and 1 nite accommodation at Swiss Bel Hotel $335

Nov. 1 – transit Sorong >>> Ambon – Air cost $55

Nov 1 – 9 – Maluku Divers Resort - Cost $2,352 -9nts/8 days/3 tanks/day/ppdo  – incl. meals [w/water, tea, coffee], and 17% tax – not incl. airport transport $15 each way & $8/tank EAN

Nov. 10 – transit Ambon[AMQ ]>>> Jakarta [CGK] Air cost $172 – start long trip HOME [?]

Bill

#56 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

Thanks Bill! Bill has been so kind in sharing his plans so others can benefit from them. :respect: I had PERSONALLY hoped to join him but the move of the company has prevented me from being able to do so. :tears:

However we hope others will be able to join him for part of his amazing tour around the world! :wakawaka: 

formerly...

#57 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

​Looking a year ahead and wondering what the water temp will be 

​Here's the link for Raja Ampat

#58 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

Mount Agung on Bali erupted today

#59 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:22 PM

WOO HOO we be divin' Raja Ampat!

The window has now opened for looking at all international flight options to get us from our home airports into Bali (DPS is the airport code), and then home again.

Since I live in the central part of the USA, so far all of my air routes are going west thru LAX (yuck!), then Hong Kong, then Bali. When I checked other routes going via the eastern routes, JFK-London-Dubi-Bali, everything was double the price.

Our trip has the boat dates of October 12 -23, 2018, we get on the boat on 12 October, and get off of the boat on 23 October. International travelers know that it's always wise to arrive in Bali several days before 12 October not only to ensure that our luggage arrives, but also have time to adjust to the time zone differences.

Kamala has stated that Singledivers.com will coordinate the local flights for our dive group from Bali to Sorong (we get on the boat here), and the return flight from Sorong going back to Bali. Then we all will pay SD.com for these local flights when the time comes.

1) Please clarify what approximate time we need to be at the DPS airport on 12 October to be on the flight to Sorong. Sunrise, noon, midnight?

2) Please clarify on the departure --- on 23 October, approximately what time of day will the group get off of the boat to be able to catch the flight from Sorong to be back in the DPS airport? Knowing what time we will return to the DPS airport will help us plan our flights to depart Bali to return home.         

***Or, would it be better to spend the night of 23 Oct in Bali and then depart for home on 24 October? This is starting to sound like a good idea.

• lubeck likes this

#60 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

WOO HOO we be divin' Raja Ampat!

The window has now opened for looking at all international flight options to get us from our home airports into Bali (DPS is the airport code), and then home again.

Since I live in the central part of the USA, so far all of my air routes are going west thru LAX (yuck!), then Hong Kong, then Bali. When I checked other routes going via the eastern routes, JFK-London-Dubi-Bali, everything was double the price.

Our trip has the boat dates of October 12 -23, 2018, we get on the boat on 12 October, and get off of the boat on 23 October. International travelers know that it's always wise to arrive in Bali several days before 12 October not only to ensure that our luggage arrives, but also have time to adjust to the time zone differences.

Kamala has stated that Singledivers.com will coordinate the local flights for our dive group from Bali to Sorong (we get on the boat here), and the return flight from Sorong going back to Bali. Then we all will pay SD.com for these local flights when the time comes.

1) Please clarify what approximate time we need to be at the DPS airport on 12 October to be on the flight to Sorong. Sunrise, noon, midnight?

2) Please clarify on the departure --- on 23 October, approximately what time of day will the group get off of the boat to be able to catch the flight from Sorong to be back in the DPS airport? Knowing what time we will return to the DPS airport will help us plan our flights to depart Bali to return home.         

***Or, would it be better to spend the night of 23 Oct in Bali and then depart for home on 24 October? This is starting to sound like a good idea.

​Hello Susan;

​Judging from my previous e-mails from Manado Safaris [WW's Indo agent] - they prefer to book with Garuda-Indonesia Airlines, since they offer an extra baggage allowance for 'sports equipment' - I suggest you go to the link and input the dates to find your options

​Have a good diving day!

Bill

• Resqdew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users