• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DOMINICA: Who's All Going on This Trip??? Please introduce yourself! (EVEN If a veteran SDer!)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 DiverLori

DiverLori

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Retired MSDT and Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:Lost count!

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Lori,

I am happy to know there is another person going to SXM on week 2. I hope you are traveling on 6/3. I will be lugging a red duffle, have short blond hair. One of the older divers. Not sure what I will wear, but hope this will help us hook up in SXM. I often travel as you have with unknown groups, so it just 'feels' better knowing I won't be totally alone on the last leg. I am flying out of Charlotte, NC. Looking forward to meeting you.  Sally

BTW WreckWrench  I live in the San Francisco area but connecting in CLT.

Hi Sally! 

Yes, I am flying into SXM on June 3rd too.  I'm not sure which duffle I'll be lugging yet, will update as we get closer.  I'm on AA coming in from Philly to SXM at 1:29.  Hoping AA does not fiddle with it again, they keep moving my arrival time which makes me nervous.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#32 DiverLori

DiverLori

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Retired MSDT and Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:Lost count!

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

It is nice to know there will be another 'newbie' to SD on week 2. :wavey:  Brian, are you going on the charter on 6/3 out of SXM? It would be nice to know there is someone to join in the adventure. I will be flying from Charlotte NC. I've been diving 10 years with a trip to warm waters about every 3-6 months. Also, I only do 2 dives a day. This is my first time in Dominica.

Good morning Sallybok,

I am flying Harrisburg  PA to PHL then SXM arriving 1:01 pm   Charter Winair 7104 at 16:15.   SXM is ez.  I was in Saba in February 16, when you get your baggage there is a  Winair counter to recheck in the baggage area.  Then you go into main terminal to the gate.  Also has a few shops and places to eat.  I will see you there.   

Hi Brian,

Looks like we are on the same AA flight.  We will all have to meet up with Sally and navigate together with your guidance! 

#33 sallybok

sallybok

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

June is coming quickly. It will be nice to be in warm weather for a change.

Lori and Brian, I am glad we will all be together in SXM. I'm 5'2" with blond hair with a big red duffle. It has a bright yellow band around it. I usually change into shorts once I land. Brian, do you know how strict they are on WinAir for weight? I fly the big boys business class, so it is not an issue with them, but want to be prepared for the hop flight. I usually have the standard carry-on, plus a backpack. Any direction will be appreciated. 

See you soon,

Sally

#34 DivinDoctorMom

DivinDoctorMom

Getting started

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water Diver/Nitrox Certified, Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+ (yearly since 1991)

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hi!

I'm Amy.  This is my first trip with SD and I'm soooo excited!  This next month is going to go way too slow.  I've been diving since 1991.  I have no idea how many dives, since my ex convinced me to quit filling out the log book, way back when.  I guess he thought it was a waste of time.  Now I regret not having that info.  As you can see by my screen name (picked in a fit of panic when signing up) I'm a doctor, gynecologist more specifically.  I'm a mom of two great guys, ages 19 and 10, and a pet mom to one dog, one cat, 12 chickens and a frog.  I love to play the piano, knit, dive, read, build things, transport kids, care for parents, feed the animals............Calgon!! Take me away!  See why I NEED this trip??  Anyway, I can do 2-3 dives per day followed by the obligatory evening libation(s).  I can't wait to meet everyone!

• little mermaid, EASY, dive_sail_etc and 1 other like this

#35 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Lori and Brian, I am glad we will all be together in SXM. I'm 5'2" with blond hair with a big red duffle. It has a bright yellow band around it. I usually change into shorts once I land. Brian, do you know how strict they are on WinAir for weight? I fly the big boys business class, so it is not an issue with them, but want to be prepared for the hop flight. I usually have the standard carry-on, plus a backpack. Any direction will be appreciated. 

See you soon,

Sally

Here is the Winair baggage policy.

https://www.fly-wina...ir/baggage.html

They WILL weigh your carryons at the gate and if you have more than one it will be gate checked.  If you have only one it and they decide it is too big, they probably will, it will also be gate checked.  So plan accordingly.

• EASY and dive_sail_etc like this

#36 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:17 AM

I am the only one on the Spirit flight Ft Lauderdale -> St. Maarten on 03 June, so looking forward to meeting everyone beginning at the WinAir gate (Lori, Jaque, Molly, Sally, Patrick and Brian). :diver:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#37 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

Brian, do you know how strict they are on WinAir for weight?

See you soon,

Sally

Sally,

Yes, they are strict about the carry on weight limits. They will weigh your CARRY-ON so make sure it's either 6lbs or 15lbs (depending on your plane). Otherwise, you may be paying to check it.

carryon luggage subject to a maximum weight of 3 kilos or 6 pounds (Twin-otter Aircraft) or 7 Kilo’s or 15 pounds

Posted Image

#38 sallybok

sallybok

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

How do I know whether I should be 6  or 15 lbs before arrival? In the past has the usual limit been 15 lbs? I can make that OK, but 6 is not possible.

#39 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

How do I know whether I should be 6  or 15 lbs before arrival? In the past has the usual limit been 15 lbs? I can make that OK, but 6 is not possible.

You'll need to find out what aircraft you're on. If you're on a Twin-otter Aircraft then your limit will be 6lbs. You can probably also email or call the airline and ask them for sure for your scenario.

Dominica is difficult to get to because of these kinds of restrictions but it's SO WORTH IT! And yes, these are normal restrictions for Dominica. The flight to Dominica is a small plane.

I believe when I went there before from PHX, my limit was 15lbs. If you are having trouble getting within your limit, consider a bigger purse, backpack, etc. I bring a fabric backpack that folds up small but I can pull it out and shove whatever I need to in it and it counts as a personal item. Another option is to use a travel vest. I know Kamala uses these sometimes and you can stow away 50lbs if you're good ;)  She's a pro! haha

Posted Image

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:45 AM

You'll need to find out what aircraft you're on. If you're on a Twin-otter Aircraft then your limit will be 6lbs. You can probably also email or call the airline and ask them for sure for your scenario.

Dominica is difficult to get to because of these kinds of restrictions but it's SO WORTH IT! And yes, these are normal restrictions for Dominica. The flight to Dominica is a small plane.

I believe when I went there before from PHX, my limit was 15lbs. If you are having trouble getting within your limit, consider a bigger purse, backpack, etc. I bring a fabric backpack that folds up small but I can pull it out and shove whatever I need to in it and it counts as a personal item. Another option is to use a travel vest. I know Kamala uses these sometimes and you can stow away 50lbs if you're good ;)  She's a pro! haha

Every trip I have made I have had 15# and have been fine. The flights we are on are the fullest ones that WinAir offers so they will have the biggest planes they offer. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#41 Seafever

Seafever

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open water/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hello, my name is Penny and I am going to Dominica on week one. I went last year and it was spectacular.

I'm arriving early and will be there the evening of May 25th. Will anyone else be there? I'm hoping to dive on the 27th and if jet lag doesn't get me, maybe on the 26th, too. If you are a week one early bird, let me know. My dive buddy had to cancel so I could use some company.  Can't wait to go diving again!

• little mermaid and scubachick84 like this

#42 EagleRayLover

EagleRayLover

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Logged Dives:402

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hi all, My name is Beth. This is my second trip with SD – had a great time with SD in Bonaire in February! Really looking forward to Dominica!

In addition to scuba, I love to cycle, knit and bird. It's actually an advantage that my husband doesn't dive or like to travel – I get to travel more and not worry about leaving our 5 kitties  :)

Edited by EagleRayLover, 11 May 2017 - 07:44 PM.

• WreckWench and little mermaid like this

Beth

#43 EagleRayLover

EagleRayLover

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Logged Dives:402

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

Hello, my name is Penny and I am going to Dominica on week one. I went last year and it was spectacular.

I'm arriving early and will be there the evening of May 25th. Will anyone else be there? I'm hoping to dive on the 27th and if jet lag doesn't get me, maybe on the 26th, too. If you are a week one early bird, let me know. My dive buddy had to cancel so I could use some company.  Can't wait to go diving again!

Hi Penny, Beth here. I am arriving on May 25 at 5:30 PM on AA operated by Seaborne Airlines. Looking forward to meeting you and other early arrivals. I am traveling solo as well. I have a bird guide scheduled for all day on the 26th. If you're a birder and want to join me, send a PM. Looking forward to meeting you!

Beth

#44 scubachick84

scubachick84

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

HI Everyone....

I am in for Week 2.....first time to Dominica....3rd trip with SD....will need a roommate.....Kamala - can we shore dive on 6/9?  

#45 scubachick84

scubachick84

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

Oops, coming from Boston...flying thru Barbados....getting to Melville Hall around 3:15ish....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users