• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

need some prayers and a hug..........

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:50 PM

Oh Sandy- my heart goes out to you. WW's suggestion might be a really good one-check with the doctor or a therapist. My daughter has never forgotten the trip that we made to the jail for a reality check when she started acting out. You & your son will definitely be in my prayers. :unsure:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 hge54

hge54

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:304

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:16 PM

Sandy,

Having lived through my daughter's anorexia, and the suicide of a close relative, I can relate to the unique, living hell that only our children can put us through. Please consider that your son may not be feeling invincible, but suicidal. He should be evaluated by a psychiatrist, not a therapist, counsellor, psychologist, or family doctor. The well meaning advice of his caridologist may be just the wrong thing to do.

God Bless,

Hal

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:54 PM

Sandy,

Having lived through my daughter's anorexia, and the suicide of a close relative, I can relate to the unique, living hell that only our children can put us through. Please consider that your son may not be feeling invincible, but suicidal. He should be evaluated by a psychiatrist, not a therapist, counsellor, psychologist, or family doctor. The well meaning advice of his caridologist may be just the wrong thing to do.

God Bless,

Hal

Sandy...don't leave ANYTHING to chance...follow ALL courses of action. HGE54 may be right on the money...seek professional help FIRST and then resort to the suggestions that us lay people have offered! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#19 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:32 AM

Sandy my thoughts -Prayers are with you the Hugs come in Cozumell.
I know how difficult is is to raise teanagers with just one parent. Arguing with a 17 year old last night because I took away his keys for misssing curfew the night before, after just getting them back from missing my curfew this past week.
Stay strong, Pray a lot and Know that you have done your best.
I truly believe that they will go the way they want , no matter how they were raised and brought up , and hopefull they will come back to what they were tought someday.
I know I raised two for the past 14 years one is totally different form the other . even though they were raised the same, and we were in church most sundays, on still goes alsmost every sunday, the other the 17 alsmost refuses to go and giving me a hard time. A good kid, but beats to his own drum.
Best of wishes and I also believe that trip to see a good counsler, or therapist maybe best, I have tried all including tough love, still using that now, counslers, therapist including days at one of the toughest boot camps in Texas
Just do not give up and do not let it get you down, for you have done Great job, but it is a lot up to him and his wishes. Remeber, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. My PRAYERS :teeth: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: are with you both...

#20 Raven

Raven

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Logged Dives:Over 250

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

Sandy, I too agree with WW.

I will keep you in my prayers. I have a wonderful 13 year old son who is precious. As a mom we want to protect them. Since my son doesn't have an illness more serious than the occaisional I am a typical teenager syndrome I can't imagine what you are going through except that my cousin died from Cystic Fibrosis and a life-long illness makes those closest strong and determined people so I am sure you will get through to him.

Good luck.

R
DISCLOSURE WARNING! Contents contained in my posts may be witty, intellectual, intriguing, playful, educable, fun-loving, brass, or even offensive. I apologize in advance if the later two apply. Feel free to respond with a witty, intellectual, intriguing, playful, educating, fun-loving manner; or simply ignore. R "Come get wet with us." www.deepsouthdivers.org

#21 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 04 January 2005 - 03:19 PM

Sandy,

I wish I had some good advice for you. Hopefully your son will come to his senses and realize how precious his life is and how unfair it is to put the people who love him through so much grief.

:welcome:
Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

#22 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:51 PM

Again, thank you to all of you for your support and prayers. I really appreciate it!!! I haven't seen much of my pride and joy lately but I do talk to him daily. He says he's taking his medications - so I will go on faith that he is. That's something!! At this point - I will take what I can get.

I will be the one in Coz with a sign hung around my neck that says "free hugs" ! :teeth:

Thank you all again.

Sandy
Known puker

#23 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:05 PM

I will be the one in Coz with a sign hung around my neck that says "free hugs" ! :teeth:

You might want to be careful about that sign!!

Jesus may just take you up on that

wait a minute!! I could pay for my trip to Fiji...what am I thinking!! :diver:

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

Sandy,

God Bless,

Hal

I have lived through some family tradegies myself. I won't specify on an open board, but they were serious enough to get me out of the Navy three years early.

The professional help for BOTH of you is a great idea. You don't realize how living with a person with special needs can affect you until you look at yourself later.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Brian
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#25 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:17 PM

Add my prayer to the list....take care and hang in there.

Laura

:unsure: :o
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#26 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:14 PM

Wanted to give an update on the child!!!! He seems to have "seen the light" and is back to taking his meds and walking the straight line - making good grades and doing home work!!!! Thank you so much for the prayers and thoughts - I hope he continues on this pathway!!!
Known puker

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

Sandy that is good news. However pls keep a close eye! He may be calling out for attention and still need you to help him.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:55 PM

Sandy, I am a little late getting into this discussion and I first want to apologize for being so late. Next, I will send along to you my best wishes for both you and your son. It seems that he is coming around which is great. Most 18-year-old boys (or should I say "young men") think they are bullet-proof, I know I did. How I did not end up six-feet under by the time I was 22 is a mystery to me. I guess the Lord did not want me just yet.

I would like to ask, does he have an older male figure in his life who he can go talk to about "just anything"? Yes, it could be his father, but ideally it would an uncle, a coach, or a family friend, someone who does not have to handle the day-to-day discipline or make parental decisions. That could help a lot.

A friend of mine has a son the same age as yours, I have known the boy since he was 13. Along the way, he learned that he could come to me when he wanted to just talk. He would talk about girls, playing on his high school football team, dealing with his mom, issues with school, you name it. The thing is that what he says to me rarely if ever goes beyond us and he knows that. I imagine I know some things that would make his mom cringe. But his mom has told me on many occasions how much she appreciates that I provide that sounding board for her son.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.
-Mitch-

#29 maxdvr

maxdvr

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:29 AM

Amen sandy....so glad to see the power greater than us have choosin to bless you and your son wth the oppotunity to enjoy another day together.... my prayers will be will u both ...always..

max
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#30 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:08 PM

Sandy,

Glad to hear your young one came around to see he was making some big mistakes by not following doctors orders... I hope he stays on the right track!!

Dejah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users