• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Newly Certified Diver from Michigan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SCUBA_Steph

SCUBA_Steph

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2+

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:55 PM

H! I'm newly certified (like a week ago!) NAUI diver. I've always loved the ocean but I've been surrounded by lakes my entire life. I'm planning my first dive trip in July, I'm thinking Florida Keys. I've read it's a really good location for beginners and seasoned divers, so needless to say I'm pretty excited. My friends/family are not divers and have no interest in the sport, which is what brought me here, to SD. I'm eager to learn more about diving and eventually get mu advanced cert. Happy to be here!

#2 ginger.ninja

ginger.ninja

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:Lost track...

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:11 PM

The keys are a GREAT place to learn and get experience. You'll love them. Lots of great and colorful fish, good water clarity, nice shallow dives with little/no current so you can focus on developing your buoyancy control. 

• Racer184 and SCUBA_Steph like this

#3 SCUBA_Steph

SCUBA_Steph

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2+

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:24 PM

The keys are a GREAT place to learn and get experience. You'll love them. Lots of great and colorful fish, good water clarity, nice shallow dives with little/no current so you can focus on developing your buoyancy control. 

EXACTLY! That's what I was thinking. 

#4 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:58 PM

Hello Stephanie, and welcome to SingleDivers and welcome to the wonderful world of diving.  I joined this group about 12 years ago.  The thing that impressed me the most was how friendly and helpful the people are.  It doesnt matter if you are a beginner diver, or have been diving for 40 years, the people here will welcome you and are happy to help.  Kamala offers a feature on a number of trips, called rent-a-buddy.  Often times, a newer diver will sign up for that, and be paired with a very experienced diver, often Kamala herself.  I have seen a new divers confidence and skill set grow significantly on a trip when doing that.  Hopefully you get to dive the keys this Summer.  If not, the group is scheduled to be in Bonaire the second week of August.  That is also a great spot for a newer diver.  Ed

• Racer184 likes this

#5 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:04 AM

:hiya:  Stephanie and  :welcome:  to the fabulous world of diving and SD!!!  Congrats on your Open Water!!  You have found a great site for trips, diving and awesome people.  Been a member since 2005 and have been on lots of trips!  Kamala and crew put lots of time and effort into each trip to make it the best experience.  The Florida Keys are a great place to start your diving experience.  Welcome aboard  :dance:   

#6 Ducky

Ducky

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:53 AM

Welcome to the dive family! Glad you found us and look forward to seeing you on trips. Keep us updated on any new training/experiences! I love watching people grow in and share my passion for diving. 

#7 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:13 AM

Hi and Welcome to SingleDivers.com!!

This is the place to come if you want to dive and your friends and family do not. Exactly how I was able to get started.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:05 AM

H! I'm newly certified (like a week ago!) NAUI diver. I've always loved the ocean but I've been surrounded by lakes my entire life. I'm planning my first dive trip in July, I'm thinking Florida Keys. I've read it's a really good location for beginners and seasoned divers, so needless to say I'm pretty excited. My friends/family are not divers and have no interest in the sport, which is what brought me here, to SD. I'm eager to learn more about diving and eventually get mu advanced cert. Happy to be here!

HI Stephanie, I am not sure how I missed your introduction topic but here is my belated Welcome Aboard! :welcome:

We wonder if you made it to the Keys as planned and hope things went well for you. :pray: Kamala aka WreckWench :blond: has plenty of amazing dive destinations planned that include perfect environments for new divers such as Roatan, Bonaire, Dominica and more! And as Ed aka Diver Ed mentioned, the club's Rent a Buddy (aka Rent a Mentor) Program is specifically designed to fast track skills development for new or returning divers while at the same time providing the confidence that comes from knowing your buddy is a dive pro so you are able to relax a bit and enjoy your dives more. It's a really popular program with our new to diving members, ask for references if you like! :cool1:

Again, welcome. We look forward to seeing more posts and engagement with you around the forums. :diver:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users