• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When Singles Mingle...

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

Well its bound to happen....you put 20-30 predominately single, fun, dynamic, men and women together doing something they all love to do and occassionally some of them are going to 'hook up'. Or you've joined the site and you are considering a trip with SD but you are dating someone right now and want to bring them...but you ask yourself how would that work? And what if you sign up for a trip now intending to bring the new special buddy with you but by the time the trip comes around...they are no longer part of your life...or at least not part of the forthcoming dive trip?

And what about prospective members who look at our site but say...hey I'm dating someone so I'm not 'single' or I'm married so this site is not for me...I'm just looking for a dive buddy.

So many questions...so many inputs....or at least I hope I get lots of inputs! Tell me what you all think?

Do you plan SD trips for those that are not in relationships? If so how do we also have special trips for our buddyless divers?

How about people who 'hook up' on a trip? Do you encourage them to come on the next one only perhaps with new rooming arrangements?

Do you co-mingle newly formed couples with other singles or run special 'couples' trips? Or both???

How about the buddyless diver that wants to bring their non-diving SO? Can we work that out as well?

So many questions....here's to seeing lots of input! Thanks gang...-ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:23 PM

Seems pretty simple to me.

you've joined the site and you are considering a trip with SD but you are dating someone right now and want to bring them...but you ask yourself how would that work?

Bring 'em, you'll both have fun!

And what if you sign up for a trip now intending to bring the new special buddy with you but by the time the trip comes around...they are no longer part of your life...or at least not part of the forthcoming dive trip?

Subject to the cancellation policy for our trips, it shouldn't be a problem.

And what about prospective members who look at our site but say...hey I'm dating someone so I'm not 'single' or I'm married so this site is not for me...I'm just looking for a dive buddy.

We're not a dating site and our trips aren't matchmaking trips. This shouldn't be an issue.

Do you plan SD trips for those that are not in relationships? If so how do we also have special trips for our buddyless divers?

All trips should be open to all. If we start limiting you can attend, we'll have bad feelings, we don't need that. Besides, the nature of our site will ensure most folks on all our trips will be single.

How about people who 'hook up' on a trip? Do you encourage them to come on the next one only perhaps with new rooming arrangements?

Sure!

Do you co-mingle newly formed couples with other singles or run special 'couples' trips? Or both???

All trips should be open to all.

How about the buddyless diver that wants to bring their non-diving SO? Can we work that out as well?

Why not? I wouldn't recommend non divers on live aboards, but most other trips will have plenty to occupy non divers.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

Walter,

Couldn't agree more.

:birthday:
Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

#4 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

Agree with Walter on all counts.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#5 Terri

Terri

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

Ditto what Walter said....
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#6 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:52 PM

I also agree with Walter!

#7 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

I agree with Walter as well.

#8 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:38 PM

Hey seems like the thing to do. So I agree with Walter too!

#9 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

Agree on most accounts. But one point. If I go on an S.D. trip, say one with a small limited number of spaces, and there are only 1 or 2 "singles" because everyone else has hooked up - I would feel a bit put out. I first found this site because I was tired of being the only single diver on trips. People hooking up on the trips is great - Heck, one day I might find someone who can stand me for more than a day or two (I should up the dosage, huh DC) but if the trips turn into couple trips, it goes against the whole point of why I joined singledivers.com.
I'm not sure that the nature of the site insures most people on the trip will be single. If 5 "couples" sign up for Granada (or similar sized trip)- That's over half right there.

What if, pt2 - If a couple, both of whom are one SD, book a trip and then break-up - wouldn't that be fun to have them both on the same dive boat. :birthday:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#10 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hey seems like the thing to do. So I agree with Walter too!

Walter - you had better mark this down! Everyone is agreeing with you, myself included! :birthday:

#11 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:17 PM

ScubaHawk, you bring up a pretty good point. It's a catch 22...

:unsure:
Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

#12 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:28 PM

I would say come with us. You don't have to be single to come on our trips, just buddyless.

For me it's about going and having a good time, diving like a mad man and not really "Hooking-up". I think the site has always tried to gear itself so that even if you are dating something or are married and that person doesn't like to dive they are still always welcome to go on the trip. When we went to Roatan we had one person who was not a diver but was simply there to hang out with the group. I'm pretty sure he had a great time.

And what if you sign up for a trip now intending to bring the new special buddy with you but by the time the trip comes around...they are no longer part of your life...or at least not part of the forthcoming dive trip?

Well I would think that WW would be able to switch the names to someone else (not sure about airfair), so you could sell it to another member who would like to go couldn't at first and now can (I hope that made since). The other option would be to bring a different friend with you. I would say it really has more to do with if the place we are going will let you change the name on the reservation (and if they are diving if they have the skills needed for the location).

Again my experience was that it didn't matter if you are buddyless or are single, both are more then welcome. I would also hazard to guess that if you are seeing someone and they don't dive that accomidations could be made for them to go on the trip and do non-diving things.

I guess you could do a "Romatic" dive trip for singles only, but if you go someplace really fun the rest of the group is going to want to go.

If it's me.. absolutely invite them. Should the site itself encourage the two of them to go together I think no. It's really up to the two people. As for rooming arrangements, that would be up to the person I invited and if we are both comfortable with the arrangements.

I don't think you need to run special couples trip. I think everyone would get along just fine. A couple already has their dive buddies, so the only time I could see this being an issue would be doing something at night and even then people can always do their own thing.

Absolutely. Again, I go back to the Roatan trip. AFAIK no body gave the non-diving guy any grief, and we did everything we could to make him feel like part of the group.

Hope this helps!

Scott

:lam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#13 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

I'm going to jump on the Walter bandwagon, too but agree with Hawk about the numbers think. I serioously doubt that that will ever become an issue, however.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#14 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

As long as no one feels like a third wheel, I think it's fine to mix couples and singles on our trips. After all, we are all here to dive together.

As far as "scoping and hoping", it's bound to happen anytime you get a bunch of single people together, and sometimes a few will even hit the target and meet someone they like.

I don't think we neccesarily NEED to have seperate couples and singles trips, but it might be nice to keep the "demographics" in mind when planning trips, so that you don't end up with one lone wolf in a group full of people.

Good topic!

Take care all
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#15 JohnnyC

JohnnyC

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver- did most of my diving on Okinawa
  • Logged Dives:67

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hey everyone!

just wanted to say "I'm Spartacus!"......err I mean I agree with walter. I actually joined the board cause I was/am looking to meet good friends, and my wife has no time at the moment to go diving. Anyway I just like meeting new people and going diving so everything walter said pretty much makes sense.

Absent minded ramblings,

Johnny
The road goes on forever and the party never ends!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users