• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

your job

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

and I'm a dive instructor with a real job habit....
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

ME, I'm a lumber trader covering the U.S. and canada. Helps support my diving addiction.
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#33 BSG

BSG

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water SSI - AOW NAUI
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:04 PM

I am just trying to get by until retirement :welcome: I have done far too many things to list here, but I did serve in BOTH hte Navy and Army. I found out that not that many people need submarines re[aired in the civilian world and not too many need an old infantryman/tanker. So now I do marine surveys (when I can get them), do some grilling at festivals and catered events, and even drive atruck to fill in. I thinbk I am going to have go back on the road sometime next month for four or five months, but I think I have a good contract lined up (home every night and off on weekends).

Diverbrian - I worked on 637 class SSN's - what were you on?

#34 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

Me? I'm a Research Engineer (actually a Systems Engineer) and I work on NASA programs in aviation research. I get to play with all of the new toys and make them work. I am involved with new technologies in getting weather in the cockpit and how to make that useful to pilots. I also get to work on the new displays that pilots use to control airplanes in all weather conditions. It's a lot of fun and very challenging. I have been a Program Manager for Collins Avionics and ran all of their Air Transport radio programs for quite a while. Before that I worked as a Program Manager for military avionics at Harris Corporation and even before that, I designed integrated circuits. Right out of school, I worked for Schlumberger offshore for a year. Someone in this thread will know who that is. I made a lot of money for 1978, but hated the job.

And for the ATC guy in the thread, my comment: "Am I up here because you're down there, or are you down there because I'm up here."

I heard that over Jax Center one time and I'll never forget it. I'll bet the smart alec ATC guy never will either. By the way, the comment was deserved.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#35 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:08 PM

I'm in for this
I have a repair shop for small engine's
Mikes Small Engine Repair is its name (Go Figure)
I'm a autherized service center for most of your small engine Companies
like briggs and stratton, tecumseh. also some of the lawnmower Co like
Murray, MTD, Snapper etc. my job ranges from lawnmowers to generators pressure washers and so on. I own two online store's that run 24/7 and that
is where I'm heading for my future. in short I can dive and my store's are
open. I can sleep and my store's are open. I can post on SD.com :welcome:
and you guessed it while my store's are open.
I'm this excited :welcome:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#36 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:37 PM

I am involved with new technologies in getting weather in the cockpit and how to make that useful to pilots.

Wouldn't weather in the cockpit be a bit distracting? The last thing I need to hear in a plane is. . .
"This is your captain speaking, we are having a brief thundershower in the cockpit, so it might get a little rough for a while. Things should clear up by the afternoon when it will be clear and windy . . . " :welcome:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#37 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:46 PM

I am involved with new technologies in getting weather in the cockpit and how to make that useful to pilots.

Wouldn't weather in the cockpit be a bit distracting? The last thing I need to hear in a plane is. . .
"This is your captain speaking, we are having a brief thundershower in the cockpit, so it might get a little rough for a while. Things should clear up by the afternoon when it will be clear and windy . . . " :welcome:

Actually, it can be very distracting :welcome: , especially if it's cold weather. Funny guy, aren't you? I should have said, "getting weather displays into the cockpit." It turns out, some weather displays can be so compelling that the pilot will forget to fly the plane and just look at the weather. We found that having an autopilot is pretty much necessary for anyone using a weather display in the aircraft. Interestingly enough, the regulations do not require any special training or an autopilot to install a weather display system in an airplane. I'm a pilot and that is disturbing.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#38 mikeg808

mikeg808

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:06 PM

I am a applications engineer that manages clients in Dallas, Oregon, Mississippi, and Louisiana. We control the airflow in critical spaces like research facilities, Clean Rooms, and Isolation rooms. As a thought..if you have ever walked down a hospital corridor and on the patients doors it say something like tuberculosis or some communicable disease. Ever wonder why you do not cath this stuff? That’s because of the things I do :welcome:
Mike

#39 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

I have a Mickey Mouse kind of job. I am responsible for a Merchandise Planning system, this includes defining requirements, designing, developing, testing, implementing, and supporting the users.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#40 JohnnyC

JohnnyC

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver- did most of my diving on Okinawa
  • Logged Dives:67

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:37 PM

Hey everyone!

Hmmmm... what do I do huh? Well after high school I realized that school wasn't for me at the time so I went into the Marine Corps. After 4 years I got out and realized like many others that my skills weren't needed in the civilian word. Snipers don't get jobs. Anyway I am suited to run into burning buildings at 3 a.m. Thats what I do now fierfighter/paramedic and I love every second of it. Now I just need to make myself go back to school for something. I'm thinking buissness. Well UH has a good buissness school I think.

Absent minded ramblings

Johnny
The road goes on forever and the party never ends!

#41 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

I am in Procurement my experience ranges from a Video Company, to Radiopharmaceuticals (where I purchased glow in the dark stuff aka isotopes and such, equipment and other pharmaceuticals and mostly supported the international pharmacies), currently I manage a group that purchases technology equipment and services I am responsible for procuring everything from hardware/software to the maintenance agreements that surround them, VOIP solutions and just about anything else technology related.

In my free time I am a frustrated artist who dreams about being a photojournalist and never go shopping unless I really need something, and then it is in and out and if you are not watching you might not even see me in the store.

Linda
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#42 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

I do as little as possible.....Except diving of course and I do that as much as possible.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#43 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:17 PM

Gar
I do as little as possible.....Except diving of course and I do that as much as possible.

Did You Win The LOTTO Gar ? :teeth:
You might have forgot to mention that to Us!

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#44 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

free-lance supreme court justice.

Sheeeeee's Back :teeth:

I get paid to drink, talk and look at naked women. :2cool: (stripclub jock)
Actually a rather high-end consultant / MC in the adult entertainement business. (stripclub jock with attitude!)

P.S. Diverbrian, I bet I've seen some of your work. :teeth:

REALLY?????

damn, baby, i think you win as far as the guys go.

i bet you get really turned on by a woman in clothes...

#45 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Snipers don't get jobs.
Johnny

depends on where ya live, i guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic