• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you dive??

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Narwhal

Narwhal

Director of Training

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:25 AM

I'm Jim and I know most of you from the Cozy trip. I posted this in my "Hello" but it is probably more appropriate to theis group. I thought I'd throw it open and let anyone who wants to take a potshot at me to fire away!! I am very opinionated (in a non-confrontational way). I dive Poseidon regulators (Because they are the best), Cochran computers (Because of their reliability, redundancy, and superior data algorithms---Hey, they're the only computer approved by the U.S.Navy and what's best for the Seals is best for me), DUI, Mares and Seaquest sport BCs and, of course, backplate and harness for technical. Zeagles are ok, I just don't particularly like them. I like DUI and Whites for Dry suits, Henderson for wet suits, and Mares Quatro fins. I dive Seavision masks and always prefer an opaque skirt on all of the 30 some-odd masks I own. If that's not enough to start a lively discussion, I don't know how to start one.
I enjoy photography, wreck exploration, archeology, and practically any underwater exploration. I'm not too crazy about cold water diving---If you look in the dictionary under "woose", that's my picture!!.
Let's talk and blow lots of bubbles.
Jim
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
Thomas Jefferson
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action."
Goethe
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
Thomas Jefferson
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken:

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

Well Jim
I'm the poster child for Dacor because thats what my LDS carries. I really dont have a choice either if i want warranty and service after the sale. my LDS is the ONLY one in a 60 mile radius period. I know its not the top of the line but I think it well do for now. sense my first purchase of equipment from them I have picked up a US divers Reg and a beauchat BC and sent them both by UPS to certified dive shops that handle that brand to get checked out and serviced. here in the last couple months i have done alittle business with ScubaToys.com right in your backyard Jim off 635. i visited them on the way to DFW before i caught a plane to Coz in jan. i have been buying L80 tanks here and there and getting them Hydroed at my LDS there all Luxfer brand. it seems scuba gear is like the the companies I work for there always buying each other out and keeping the name on it so you really dont know who makes what, unless you do alot of research or are in the industry alot and hear firsthand whats going on. Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 14 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

Lets see......gear....Hmmmmm....Wish I knew more! I'm actually taking an equipment class this week. Don't know how much I will learn about different equipment as it is put on by my LDS but I figure the more knowledge I can put on the better I can make informed decisions.

Currently I am using my first full set of gear. I'll lay it out and everyone who would like can throw out pros and cons.....please don't hold back if you think I have some gear thats is not top notch as I really want to know and I have no qualms thinking I have great stuff....But I do want to! LOL So I am hoping some of the folks here who have been diving long enough to have been thru different equipment and have sen the real ups and downs can give me some constructive guidance. As with B2B a lot of the gear I have I bought from my LDS but some not.

As to exposure suits I have a Henderson full length 7mm gold core I use for cold stuff here. A Bare full length 3mm I use in Hawaii. A Aeroskine full length dive skin ( I haven't used yet) and I just ordered a Evo 5/4/3 full length I figured I would use on this Florida trip. assorted boots hoods beenies, gloves etc.

I have scubapro split fins..the grey ones. Can't say is I really like these except that they float and on shore dives that is very convenient! My son has some Mares Volvos and I kinda like those.

I have a couple masks......latest is a Mare X-vision. A cressi horizon and a Tusa visulator (which I used most but seems to hurt my nose at the top a bit). sill trying to figure out what I like best here. Havent dove with the Mares yet but thats on tap next wek.

I use a SeaQuest pro qd plus bc. works better than others I tried when I was borrowing and renting but I imagine thats not saying much. So far so good though. I really do like the sure loc wieght system...piece of cake and I fel very safe wit it.

Aqualung micra reg with aqualung 2nd stage. Compared to other regs I tried I really liked this one. I tried a bunch of Mares and Aqualung products plus a lot of antique this and thats and this one really seems to breath easy. It has a couple diffferent adjustments on ti and haven't really figured those out yet.

Suunuto vyper computer, AP and compass. Seems to work just fine but I find it a bit hard to read now and then and at times felt pretty stupid trying to figure it out when it's actually very simple.

Well thats about the gist of it all....any input on lights and other stuff would be appreciated. Thanks much.

Gar
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#4 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:11 AM

Hmm...well, I think the absolute BEST GEAR for anyone, is the gear that fits and works best for YOU!!
My preferences are:
wetsuit - BARE. They have TALL sizes for us literal over-achievers!!
I also have an Atlan custom suit.
drysuit - there are many good drysuits out there depending on your needs. Mine is custom due to my height. Abyss compressed neoprene. I think next time I would try a trilam and get drygloves.
undies - for the drysuit!! BARE.
BC - Zeagle. Very adjustable and interchangeable parts. I wouldn't be opposed to trying a backplate and harness though.
Regs - good cold water regs are a necessity for me. I use Oceanics. I would also consider Apeks.
Mask - currently a Cressi mask and it fits me nicely (not to mention the fantastic colour of it!!).
fins - currently I have Cressi for my drysuit and Genesis for my wetsuit. I prefer the Genesis to the Cress as their less rigid.
computer - Suunto Vyper. A nice conservative computer that's nitrox capable and not too complicated to use (PC downloadable)

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:14 AM

Darlin',

Just how tall are you?

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:46 AM

Darlin',

Just how tall are you?

Walter

5'9" and a bit. Tall enough! Most women's wetsuits are for 5'4"-5'7" height range.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#7 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:13 AM

Gotta give a Thumbs-Up to DL....

Hmm...well, I think the absolute BEST GEAR for anyone, is the gear that fits and works best for YOU!!

Me being a DM on the boats during the summer, I see a LOT of gear that should not be worn by some of the divers.....the biggest reason is it 'DOESN'T FIT'.

My preferences are:
Regulators, Fins, and Mask: Scuba Pro
BC, Computer, and WetSuits: SeaQuest

I dive with S650 and G500 regs, Gorilla Fins, and a purge mask all from Scuba Pro.

BC is a QDPRO, computer is an air integrated Cobra and a Vyper, and ALL of my suits are mostly shorties from SeaQuest.

-Zendiver
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#8 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:45 AM

Figured might as well add my stuff to the list.

OMS SS backplate and harness
Old DUI back inflate BC
Highland mills bands or Dive rite single tank adapter
OMS manifold
PST 104's and 120 SS tanks
Various AL 80 tanks
Zeagle 50D second stages
Apeks first stages
Cochran Commander Nitrox computer
Niterider Blackwater 4000 light and 3 other secondary lights
DUI 200, Viking Pro (ex's), and OS System drysuits
Scubapro 7mm semi dry
Jet fins (oldies but goodies)
Ikelite video setup but need a new Pro Video II battery (flooded due to stupidity)
Olympus 5050 setup with the PT015 housing (looking for S&S YS-90 strobe)
Did I forget the boxes of junk that has accumulated in the shop? Everything from an old Bend-o-matic to some of the "it looked like a good idea at the time" stuff.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:50 PM

DL,

I like your format, so I think I'll borrow (steal) it.

My preferences are:
Wetsuit - I don't really care, but I currently use a Seasuits ¼ inch farmer john with a beaver tail jacket (with metal clips) for cold water (50's & 60's F) and a Tilos 3/2 mm jump suit for water 70 - 80 F.
Drysuit - I don't own one.
BC - Scubapro Classic Sport. The ultimate in simplicity and utility.
Regs - Scubapro MK10/G250
Mask - fit is all that matters, I couldn't tell you the current brand.
Fins - the most important choice of all Scubapro Lightning Jet Fins. Nothing else comes close in performance.
Computer - Oceanic Data Plus
Snorkel - a simple J. I hate snorkels with purge valves and devices to keep water out. They are unnecessary and a waste of money.
Boots - Sea Elite a sturdy sole. I had some TUSA's with a good sole, but the rest of the boot fell apart after a couple if months.
Tanks - I prefer steel.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:41 PM

OK, I'll weigh in too since gear discussions are half the fun of being a diver...

Wetsuit- I gave up on diving wet. If it's too cold to dive nekkid then you'll find me diving dry.
Drysuit- Diving Concepts ultraflex tri-lam, custom cut for my tall body, bellows pockets on both thighs for the extra goodies, smurf blue extra-toasty drygloves
Hood- Custom made Otter Bay 10 mil neoprene ( didn't cost any more than an off the shelf 7 mil from the dive shop, and keeps me a lot warmer )
Tanks- I love steel tanks. Mostly you'll find me diving double LP 104's with a SeaElite manifold, but I'm in the process of setting up two sets of LP 72's with Thermo manifolds. Everything is O2 cleaned for PP nitrox blending by yours truly. I still have an AL 80 to loan to tankless friends and an AL 40 rigged as a deco bottle.
Regulators- Scubapro. 2 Mk 20's, 1 Mk25, and an unbalanced piston ( argon reg ). Second stages are a mix. I use an S600 and an S550 for the twins and a G250 for the deco bottle. Preparing to sell all of them and switch to Apeks because Scubapro won't sell me parts even though I am trained to work on regs.
BC- I use a backplate/wings. I have a Halcyon 36# pioneer wing for singles ( or loaning to friends ) and a Halcyon 55# explorer wing for doubles, SS backplates, canvas webbing, etc.
Fins- Ugly black boards. IDI Turtles for drysuit diving, and Scubapro Jets for diving nekkid. Homemade springstraps on both.
Light- I built my own 10 watt HID cannister light with a 4 amp hour NiMH battery pack. Looks every bit as nice as the $1,000+ Halcyon unit, but only cost $260.
Photo/Video- Oly 5050 in a PT-015 housing ( just getting started, no strobe yet ) and a Sony TRV-510 in an Ocean Images Dolphin Pro housing ( I'm currently building lights for this guy in the monster garage, twin 100 watt halogens. Again, I refuse to pay top dollar for something I can build myself for a lot less )
Mask- Cressi Big Eyes. Anything low volume that fits right works for me.

Of course, being a gear geek, I have all sorts of misc. toys and what-nots sitting in the closet. I'm getting a good collection of tools to service regs, tanks, and toys to mix nitrox with. I also have the misc. stuff that goes in the pockets for emergencies, like wetnotes, a dive alert, finger spools, liftbag, etc.

Oh, and of course, the most important piece of dive gear of all... Can anyone guess? It's leather, tri-fold, secured with metal snaps. Inside you'll find some plastic parts, and not enough paper to cover the single divers trip that I'd love to sign up for... :dltears:

#11 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:12 AM

Well, I'll add my list here as well...

Most of the time, I'll be caught diving with:

DUI CLX-450 signature series drysuit with fleece UG, or Atlan 7mm Neoprene drysuit or Henderson 3mm Hyperstretch wetsuit or Henderson 5mm jumpsuit, or two piece suit (Man, I got alot of suits)
DUI warm neck hood and Deep See 5mm Titanium gloves
Oxycheq wing for singles, Dive Rite Classic wing for doubles
FredT Backplate & Harness for singles, GUTS Plate for doubles, Dive Rite with Highland Millworks hardware when I want to scare the DIR lemmings
Apeks ATX-200 regs for doubles, Scubapro MK20, G500 for singles
Uwatec Pressure Gauge (Its on the fritz, however, and have recently ordered an Abyss Extreme Gauge to replace it) & Suunto Vyper wrist computer (S & D)
OMS/Faber Double 112's (2 sets) or PST E7-100's singles or Faber Hp-80's for shore dives
Patco 50W halogen can lite, or soon to be aquired Divelightman/Sandho 18W HID with 9 ah NimH canister
UK SL-4's for backup lights X2
Turtle fins, or scubapro jet fins, or Quattros, or Volos (R and XL in each)
Oceanic Fisheye mask, Mares Zero 9 for backup
AL 40's for deco bottles, with Apeks atx-50/ds4's with OMS pressure gauges
AL 6 for Argon (when needed) with a ds4 first stage

Damn, I need some more gear...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#12 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:58 AM

Lubold... it looks like we share the same addiction to dive gear. Is there some sort of 12 step program to help guys like us?

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,715 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:30 AM

Snorkel - a simple J. I hate snorkels with purge valves and devices to keep water out. They are unnecessary and a waste of money.

I disagree on this one....the only time I ever really used a snorkel was to pass my OW class...now it is a back up rarely used as I have excellent air consumption and don't find myself at the surface long enough to need one. HOWEVER....let me say that if it weren't for my dry snorkel...I'd have never passed that OW class over 10 years ago.

I have also seen distressed divers at the surface in waves who become even more distressed trying to keep their snorkel clear of water and not gag from trying to breathe saltwater.

For people who need it...they are worth every penny!

Just my 2 psi as DL says....Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:10 AM

People who need anything other than a simple J are people who were cheated out of proper instruction in snorkel use in their OW course. I'll teach ya how to use it, Darlin'.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,715 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:16 AM

People who need anything other than a simple J are people who were cheated out of proper instruction in snorkel use in their OW course. I'll teach ya how to use it, Darlin'.

Thank you Walter...but I was taught proper snorkel use...I however could not master it....still don't like to do it.....nor am I particularily good at it.

Why worry about sucking in water when you don't have too??? I'd rather suck in NOTHING and realize that the snorkel is below the water line then suck in water and have to clear the snorkel.

Kind of like a remote control for you tv....you can get up and change the channel or you can use the remote. As long as you know how to do it manually...why do it that way EVERYTIME. Unless of course your remote is broken! LOL!!! :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users