• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you dive??

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:36 AM

I must have misunderstood. We were susposed to list ALL our toys?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

In your case Walter NO....we don't have enough board space for your list...or Narwhals for that matter!! LOL!!! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:42 AM

Maybe one or two of the especially fun ones?

DSSW,

WWW™

#34 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

Maybe one or two of the especially fun ones?

OK....you can post a VERY short list of your 'favorite' toys....LOL!!! :D I am such a softy where you are concerned!! LOL!!! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:08 AM

I have two beautiful double hose regulators.

One is impossible to date exactly since it has conflicting points used for dating them. It's from the early 60's. It's a two stage Aqua-lung DA-"aqua-master" and works beautifully. I dive it with a bare 1955 tank strapped to my back. The tank has a wingnut J valve and is also a thing of beauty. When diving it, I use Duck Feet, a windup Soviet dive watch a round mask and wear an SOS Decompression Meter (yes, the bend-o-matic).

The other regulator is a 1955 Aqua-lung single stage Over Pressure model. It works, but I do need to do a little work on it.

These are my toys. The others are my day to day equipment. I do have other gear, but will abide by Wreck Wench's desire not to list it all.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:43 AM

I'm glad to see I've found a home where NOT loving a snorkel isn't a bad thing. B)

I agree with Walter, snorkels are a good thing when freediving, and the proper use of them really isn't taught in OW classes anymore unless you have a rare instructor that adds a bit to the course minimum requirements. I also agree with Walter about the simple J. All those purge valves and gadgets to keep water out are just marketing gimmicks designed to sell a $5 plastic tube for $50-$70. Most snorkel manufacturers realize that divers are required to purchase mask, fins, and snorkel for OW class, and that most divers are very keen on "high-tech/top of the line" gear. They love to sell you a $70 snorkel and $200 fins for a class you might not even finish...

I've been blasted ( sorry for the snorkel pun ) on another board for my anti-snorkel mentality. I ditched mine shortly after completing OW certification. On most dives, I leave my snorkel at home. If you catch me using one, then I am either freediving, or snorkelling, not scuba diving.

Erin

#37 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, I hear ya Erin. I decided to stay out of that thread on the other board you mentioned...

Although, I do have to admit that I do OWN a snorkel, and I wear it for OW dives with my students because it is required. I have been thinking about getting one of those pocket snorkels, that way I wouldt have to have it ON all the time, and still technically have it with me (for standards). But, I dont think that is a good example for my students, so I just wear it. I do think that relatively new OW divers should be using a snorkel. For all of my OWN dives, it stays in my gear box.
BTW, its a $49.95 special: Oceanmaster Dry SNorkel. The champion of snorkels...
Man, did we sell alot of those puppies at the shop I used to work at...
The funny thing was, they cost us $17.50. Wow, nice markup...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#38 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:26 PM

My goodness, WHERE do you guys keep all your toys? I just bought the most basic equipment and have no idea where to keep them!!!!

List later :dazzler:

#39 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

I now have (IIRC) six Rubbermaid plastic bins with tops for my dive gear. I also have two or three dive bags which hold various items as well...
I think the best thing for storing dive gear is those Rubbermaid bins/totes. Work very well, and have a cover. I have a two bedroom apartment for a reason... I need the second bedroom for my dive gear...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:05 PM

BTW, its a $49.95 special: Oceanmaster Dry SNorkel. The champion of snorkels...
Man, did we sell alot of those puppies at the shop I used to work at...
The funny thing was, they cost us $17.50. Wow, nice markup...

That was the BEST money EVER spent on a snorkel for me. In fact...it if weren't for the fact that it is PINK...I'd still be using it....that is when I actually dive with a snorkel!

I don't care if the industry made a buck or two off that snorkel cuz if they hadn't...I wouldn't be diving today. 'Nuff said....-ww

formerly...

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:06 PM

I'm glad to see I've found a home where NOT loving a snorkel isn't a bad thing. B)

I agree with Walter, snorkels are a good thing when freediving, and the proper use of them really isn't taught in OW classes anymore unless you have a rare instructor that adds a bit to the course minimum requirements. I also agree with Walter about the simple J. All those purge valves and gadgets to keep water out are just marketing gimmicks designed to sell a $5 plastic tube for $50-$70. Most snorkel manufacturers realize that divers are required to purchase mask, fins, and snorkel for OW class, and that most divers are very keen on "high-tech/top of the line" gear. They love to sell you a $70 snorkel and $200 fins for a class you might not even finish...

I've been blasted ( sorry for the snorkel pun ) on another board for my anti-snorkel mentality. I ditched mine shortly after completing OW certification. On most dives, I leave my snorkel at home. If you catch me using one, then I am either freediving, or snorkelling, not scuba diving.

Erin

Ooooooh yes.....what WONDERFUL toys!!! I have a few along those lines as well! :dazzler:

formerly...

#42 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:02 PM

I use a snorkel when I'm free diving and when I'm teaching. I do always keep a snorkel handy in the bag. I love skin diving.

Wreck Wench, you are mistaken, you can easily learn to use a simple J snorkel. It is easy to use. Patience dear, I'll show you.

DSSW,

WWW™

#43 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:35 AM

Well if you notice in my avatar I'm not wearing a snorkel :D However I do have a Shrewood Avid folding snorkel in the pocket of my BC. As for the rest of my equipment: :)

Wetsuit: 3 Mil Henderson Goldcore fullsuit, 5 Mil Henderson Goldcore fullsuit, 3 Mil Henderson Goldcore Vest, 1 Mil Henderson Microprene fullsuit, 3 Mil Blue Reef Shorty. various boots, hoods and gloves

BC: Cressi-Sub S103(Simple but zipper pockets!!)

Masks: I have 3 masks but the only one I seem to use is the Sea Vision Shadow which is very low volume and is tinted for better color viewing.

Fins: Aeris Velocity open heel - really like these

Regs: Atomic B1 first stage and T2 second. I use a Sherwood Shadow plus for an Octo.

Computer: Suunto Vyper

Gauages: Tusa SCA210 which is an SPG and compass

Torches: Princeton Tec Shockwave II, Ikelite PC Lite, Princeton Tec Tec 40(which is always in my BC pocket), Lazer-Stik flashing marker

Edited by chinacat46, 28 March 2004 - 09:41 AM.

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

I use a snorkel when I'm free diving and when I'm teaching. I do always keep a snorkel handy in the bag. I love skin diving.

Wreck Wench, you are mistaken, you can easily learn to use a simple J snorkel. It is easy to use. Patience dear, I'll show you.

Walter...I didn't say I couldn't learn...heck I'm learning stuff I NEVER thought I could learn LOL!!! Whoops...TMI!!!

But seriously...tell me two good reasons why I should learn to use a j snorkel vs. my dry snorkel??? That is when I use a snorkel? BTW...I do keep one in my bc and/or straped to my leg for emergencies. -ww

formerly...

#45 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:10 AM

1. Devices designed to keep water out also restrict air flow. Airflow restrictions increase CO2 buildup.

2. Fewer failure points.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users