• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Too much to drink & now this???

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:32 AM

okay...question for the ladies (and men if you want). what do you do if you're hanging out with a friend who gets inebriated and becomes too touchy-feely in public and they don't really understand your requests to stop?

Admin Note: This is an important subject that we feels deserves it own thread. Thank you!

Edited by WreckWench, 19 April 2004 - 01:57 PM.

#2 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:49 AM

more like a magician who doesn't reveal how he pulls his rabbit out of the hat.

okay...question for the ladies (and men if you want). what do you do if you're hanging out with a friend who gets inebriated and becomes too touchy-feely in public and they don't really understand your requests to stop?

I'll be honest. I've pretty much "outgrown" most of the scenes where that happens. The last lady that I was with that was that way I wound up dating for 3 1/2 yrs. :tears:

I keep my hands to myself in public and am drinking heavily if I have four drinks over the course of an evening. Most of my friends are that way as well. I have physically removed a male friend of mine who was getting that way with the ladies at the bar back in my Navy days.

:: Waits to see everyone else's answers ::
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#3 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:47 PM

I'll be honest.  I've pretty much "outgrown" most of the scenes where that happens.  The last lady that I was with that was that way I wound up dating for 3 1/2 yrs.  :D

Brian, if you were a saucy young hottie like Miss Chie :twist:, that scene would follow you everywhere you went. :puma: I'm sure she can't avoid dealing with unwanted advances most of the time.

What to do in that situation depends on the friend, how close of a friend he is, whether you're concerned about hurting his feelings, or OTOH if you're concerned that he won't listen to "No." If he's a good friend, start with telling him in a friendly way, even in a joking way, giving him a chance to save face by backing off then. Second time, more firmly and direct. Third time, make it harsh and include consequences if he doesn't stop, like you're leaving, not talking to him anymore, going to get some help from the bouncer or another guy friend. If he's not someone inclined to listen, start with the 2nd or 3rd level rather than being friendly/joking, just to be sure he doesn't decide everything you're saying is a joke.

Other thing is to talk to him about it when he's sober again and you two are alone. If he's any kind of friend, it won't happen again.

:D
coppermaus

#4 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:04 PM

A good jab in the jugular notch will probably stop the advances. He'll be coughing up a lung!

Hmmmm......It's stuff like that, that probably explains why I'm single.

DL
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#5 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:05 PM

Fourth level is similiar to testing for your next belt, but the costumes are different...

Seriously though, I hope when this situation happens, that you are in a public place where others are available to help out if needed. Sounds like this friend needs to have a conversation about this when everyone is sober.

#6 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:36 PM

I don't comprehend "he doesn't understand". Can he talk? Can he carry on a conversation? If so, perhaps you are not being direct?

If he is a friend, and he doesn't stop after you've asked him to, then I would walk away and explain it in the morning when he is able to "understand".

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:46 PM

I have to agree with sea nmf. Unless you are speaking different languages, he understands. He may be ignoring you, but if that's the case, he's lost any consideration for his feelings as he's clearing showing no consideration for your feelings. Don't worry about being rude. Why should you be polite when he's being worse than rude? If rude doesn't work, leave. If he tries to stop you from leaving, break his finger. He earned it.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:57 PM

Ok so if the guy is REALLY drunk he may not realize what he is doing cuz his inhibitions are lowed to the point where true feelings are showing for you...even if a bit crudely. However if when he is sober you have made it very clear that his continuing of this will harm your friendship...then he has two choices....don't over indulge so he loses his ability to act appropriately OR risk losing you.

Also a firm but very no-nonsense NO STOP THAT...will burst through even the most hardened drunk stupor. Combine that with some physical pain like a pinch and he'll wake up pretty quickly. Or just walk off and leave him. If that still doesn't work...then you have to decide if he is still going to be your friend or not. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:03 PM

I pray for a woman to molest me in public every time I go out...
I think its different for guys. We WANT women to touch us. Women, on the other hand, dont seem to appreciate it. The usual slap in the face, and quick walk away usually works. At least, from what I have been told. THat has NEVER happened to me!!! :teeth:
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#10 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

I have to agree with sea nmf. Unless you are speaking different languages, he understands. He may be ignoring you, but if that's the case, he's lost any consideration for his feelings as he's clearing showing no consideration for your feelings. Don't worry about being rude. Why should you be polite when he's being worse than rude? If rude doesn't work, leave. If he tries to stop you from leaving, break his finger. He earned it.

True, Walter but women are often raised to ber indirect in uncomfortable situations & don't realize that they are not making themselves clear enough or, worse yet, the training that they have received from infancy on inhibits their ability to be forceful & direct. Yes, sea nmf, he most certainly DOES understand- it's just that the response may be couched in such a way that he can tell himself that she is just being playful & coy & that it is OK to continue on. Certainly, that was the way I was brought up & it took a lot of self-training on my part to become even remotely capable of saying something clearly & directly in this type of situation. Sad to say, I can't honestly say that I've completely purged that early subserviant indoctrination, I just don't live in it! But, I agree with 'Maus on the steps that she suggested 'Chie take. That's the path that I usually follow & it works pretty well with most people.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

I have no patience for males like that! Ask others for physical intervention, blow a whistle in his ear, call a cop - whatever it takes.

You do not have accept unacceptable behaviour, ever!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:21 PM

Ok the problem here is that the person in question is a friend...and she is trying to find out how to get help delicately but effectively and not ruin the friendship if at all possible. At least I think that is the situation....help Mischeviuos?? Are we all out to lunch on this one????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#13 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:40 PM

Ok the problem here is that the person in question is a friend...and she is trying to find out how to get help delicately but effectively and not ruin the friendship if at all possible. At least I think that is the situation....help Mischeviuos?? Are we all out to lunch on this one????

Okay, so maybe my views are rash. Wouldn't be the first time.

I guess maybe I should have started with:

You have choices...

Followed by:

But I've been a male all my life, and I know some of the stupid tricks we'll try.

Also keep in mind that most sexual assualts are by people known to the victim.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:27 PM

Okay, so maybe my views are rash. Wouldn't be the first time.

I guess maybe I should have started with:

You have choices...

Followed by:

But I've been a male all my life, and I know some of the stupid tricks we'll try.

Also keep in mind that most sexual assualts are by people known to the victim.

What can I say....excellent reply!! -ww

formerly...

#15 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

"Friend" implies that you think the person respects you, and is "temporarily mentally disconnected" due to a blood alcohol level approaching the number of shoes in your closet. In that state, reasoning and communicating don't work, or they would have already. It is then your choice. Walk away from the problem, keeping yourself safe, but leaving "your friend" on their own. Or try to get past the alcohol - and that involves giving them enough of a painful stimulus to cut through the deepest "anesthetic". Problem here is that the inebriated brain fights back. Therefore, the answer is Get Help, esp multiple big ones. I agree with the talk when sober. Tell them what they did, how it made you feel, and check out their response, to determine whether they stay on your "friend list"
Diving; My zen space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users