• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Too much to drink & now this???

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

I rarely find myself in situations where there is a lot of drinking because I dive so much, and don't usually drink the night before I dive. Must admit that I rarely find inebriated women pawing me, most who do are fully in control of their senses (amd of course I don't blame them)!

Seriously, as others have said... if it is a true friend who respects you, he should understand if not at the time, certainly the morning after when you explain the situation to him. If not, he's probably not really a friend.

Dr. Bill

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:31 PM

Rephrasing, I seldom am in places with that much drinking going on anymore.

"Friend" does not imply "SO". If the behavior is unacceptable, it is unacceptable. End of story. This guy has no business with the wandering hands on a female friend. If it is the booze get away from him and let him sober up. Then tell him what happened in the morning. If you can't, get help (This is even if you can take care of the idiotic behavior yourself. If physical force becomes necessary, you may need witnesses to convince a judge/jury/cop of that.) and get him away from you. You don't know what the next step will be and you don't wish to be part of it.

I have had a drunken woman paw me once and I wound up saying "yes" when the correct answer should have been "no". Believe me guys, it may start out as a fantasy for us, but it can turn into a nightmare as fast for a man as it can for a woman. I say that with all seriousness.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:40 AM

Ok the problem here is that the person in question is a friend...and she is trying to find out how to get help delicately but effectively and not ruin the friendship if at all possible. At least I think that is the situation....help Mischeviuos?? Are we all out to lunch on this one????

no! absolutely correct, WW. i'm trying to delicately tell him that he becomes uncomfortable to be around when drinking. trust me...i can slap him and put him down if needed. that's not a problem...although i think he secretly likes being abused and dominated by women, but that should be another thread :respect: . okay...back on topic. being molested by a guy you just meet vs someone you have good history with is the problem. i've talked with said "lowered inhibitions" guy and he totally denies any ill behavior to which i replied i would no longer be around when he drank even if that meant he was going home in a cab and i stole his car. that's probably best. either he's lying about his temporary amnesia meaning he's embarrassed and willing to make amends or just plain irresponsible meaning i need to be selective in the group activites from now on.

thanks NP for volunteering to be one of my "multiple big ones" when i'm in need. that's probably why i like this site so much. it provides a safer group to travel with when diving than randomly being put together by the hotel travel agents.

diverbrian...and speaking of nightmares...things just don't perform the way they should when too inebriated. i agree with drbill...limited alcohol when diving is always for the best.

Edited by mischievous, 20 April 2004 - 11:41 AM.

#19 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

Hey mischevious, I am happy to help you have multiple big ones.....OOOPS, I mean I am happy to be one of your multiple big ones.....OOOPS again... Well, I am happy to help. :respect:
Diving; My zen space.

#20 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

man NP that was multiple big "O's" :-D ... uh... i mean OOPS ! soon you might have a cult following like CT does among the ladies.

#21 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:54 PM

Since part of the topic we're discussing is alcohol, allow me to add the following. First, I want it known that like my icon, marine biologist Edward Flanders "Doc" Ricketts of Steinbeck's Cannery Row fame, I am not one to shy away from the stuff when the time is appropriate. Every May I celebrate Doc's birthday with a beer milkshake party at the house. I am fond of a good glass of merlot, but will not turn down Scotch, ouzo or sake either!

However, when I am doing serious diving, especially over periods of weeks, I generally will not drink much if at all. I'm not as young as I was when I started diving in the early 60's (didn't drink then come to think of it). I know what alcohol can do to my more "mature" body vs what it did when I was in my prime (fortunately there are some who believe I'm still there!).

Therefore I am often startled when I encounter divers who party excessively (judgment call) the night before diving. I would not buddy with them. Of course I'm no saint... there was that one night when I drank Thai "buckets" with a beautiful Dutch dive master and danced the night away until 4:00 AM... only to have to wake her up at 8:00 for our scheduled dives that day. Bad boy... no more.

I've been on liveaboards (GBR) where divers on extended stays would drink significantly after their day's dives, in resort areas where late night partying was the norm among the divers and dive professionals there. It astounds and concerns me that these folks enter the water the next day. It's not just their safety that's at risk, but mine if I'm diving in the same ocean.

I've been diving for 42 years now and hope to do another 30 years at least. And I've been drinking for nearly 40 years and hope to do another 40 at least. I just don't drink and dive!

Dr. B.

#22 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

MADD might let us copy their slogan pretty soon...

don't drink and dive!

#23 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:09 PM

You caught it, mischievous! Friends don't let friends dive drunk.

Dr. B.

#24 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:11 PM

Hey Dr Bill. I remember once in Bonaire doing navel shots off the beautiful wife of our Dutch dive master (he suggested it). I wonder.......I see a pattern here with the Dutch.

MADD.. Mantas Against Drunk Divers
Diving; My zen space.

#25 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

diverbrian...and speaking of nightmares...things just don't perform the way they should when too inebriated. i agree with drbill...limited alcohol when diving is always for the best.

Mischevious- While limited alcohol is best, I can't control want people drink around me. And, I don't anticipate having to worry about things working or not with women that I just met. That is not a good idea in my book! Been there, done that school there. That WAS the nightmare that I was referring to and all my functions worked perfectly except my judgement that night in putting myself in a bad situation.

Dr. Bill, I agree with your posts about extremely limited drinking. Isn't it great that our twenties are over?

NP, Can I help and try to be the other ... errr.... ahh...
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#26 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:34 PM

man NP that was multiple big "O's" :-D ... uh... i mean OOPS ! soon you might have a cult following like CT does among the ladies.

Hopefully he'll help with cult leadership duties... I don't know if I can afford all the kool-aid on my salary

#27 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:15 AM

i'm beginning to like the dutch...are there beautiful dutch men too?

#28 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:37 AM

i'm beginning to like the dutch...are there beautiful dutch men too?

Have you ever been to Bonaire? There are beautiful Dutch people all over the place, of both sexes. BTW, did I mention that I am part Dutch???
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#29 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:25 PM

hmmm....but then the question is are you going to bonaire? :-D

#30 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

An even more important one .... are YOU? :-D
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users