• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIR

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 WVMike

WVMike

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:270

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

I will pitch in my non expert side as well. What I have learned is this. All O2 you buy at the local gas dealer comes out of the same tank. Be is Welding/Cutting or Medical grade or Avaition grade. The avaition grade needs filtered further to remove more moisture.

The only difference in how they handle cutting gas vs Med gas is that when the cylinders are returned the medical cylinders are suspose to be vaccumed out before refilling, while cutting/welding are just topped off.

Around here price is the same, give or take.

There is another Nitrox thread going where Walter explained the O2 cleaning of tanks and regs real well, and when it is necessary and when not.

#62 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Location:Tennessee but my heart belongs to the Lone Star State!
  • Cert Level:Advanced, NITROX, Getting Ready to go tech
  • Logged Dives:Not enough, never enough!!

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

This is what I was told by my LDS that the only difference in Prescripiton O2 is the filtration process and the cylinder that it is put in. The difference in the O2 that they use and cutting O2 us the way that it is filtered, theirs is the same as medical grade it is in a different type of cylinder than those that are delivered to patients. Same gas comes from the same commerical dealer. Cutting grade gases are not filtered as well as the ones that they use to dispense into our nitrox tanks.

Barry has been running a dive shop longer than most of us have been thinking about getting wet, so I belive that he might know what he is talking about to. And he'll be glad to answer questions regarding his O2 and it's filtering for anyone.

And David this isn't my first time around the block or my second one. I've been in more than one dive shop, and been to more than one place that sells gases for all commerical uses including welding and cutting.

Edited by steelemagnolia6, 26 May 2005 - 04:34 PM.

Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#63 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

I figured the LDS was just trying to sell NITROX wraps, but I needed to get my tanks cleand and they are the only ones I know who do it.

I have no idea about the quality of gass, but I do think it's a bit different than what the hospitals us. My buddy's a doctor and he mentioned it. I don't have a home fill station yet, so I don't have to worry about it too much. As long as I can get my fills at a good shop I'm happy. I just hate those stickers!

#64 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

Vinny, they're likely just trying to mark tanks appropriately. I don't much care for the stickers either as my BCD has scrapped into them gumming them up as well gumming up my BCD in a few places. Ah well, who said diving was a glam sport must never have had to wear neproene, wipe their nose, worry about residual make-up or mask ring, or gummy tank stickers and the list could go on..... :lmao:

Now, I do know some divers with doubles where the doubles are cleaned to handle Nitrox and they have very small stickers because the likelihood of someone mistaking someone else's double is very slim and nobody I know just throws a set of doubles carefree onto their backs on takes off diving.

Edited by Dive_Girl, 26 May 2005 - 05:02 PM.

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#65 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

If you place a small small sticker on the back bottom end of the tank, they will usually not complain too much. Plus, you can save scraping them up with putting your bc on and off the tank.

#66 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

POAD
(plain Ole Air Diver)

:lmao: :lmao: from a simple single tanker

Don't need no:
- stickers
- O2 % worrys
- depth limits
- LDS - personnel
- Cleaning.....
More.....

"Air Rocks..."!!!!!

LOL...

Just kidding, (Not meant to be taken seriously eh?? ;) )
enjoying the thread as usual.... :lmao:

Edited by fbp, 26 May 2005 - 05:52 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#67 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

I agree with you Nicolle.. it might not be a glamourous sport... but I'm sure that most of us don't mind. hood hair, mask ring, runny noses and all...

The stickers do get to be a mess after awhile!

Edited by steelemagnolia6, 26 May 2005 - 05:12 PM.

Kay

Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution... Erich Topp WW II U Boat Commander

#68 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have one tank I mark Xenon. Just to mess with the fill tank lug head from time to time.

Edited by Trimix2dive, 26 May 2005 - 05:13 PM.

#69 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

Trimix... I bet that they don't appreicate your humor huh???
Kay

#70 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

One of the five folks there doesn't, but the others appreciate a slightly touched sense of humor. Since I'm there when there filled anyhow to check the mixes, One will take the Xenon lable off and replace it with nuclear power symbol and warning tag.

We label the mixes on the butt end of the tanks, then proudly display them to the odd man out. He just clares at us as if we have some mental defect. Then we all usually laugh.

Its all good fun.

#71 steelemagnolia6

steelemagnolia6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Nothing like being the nutball in the mix.. I want one of the hazardous waste stickers to put on my tanks!!!....
Kay

#72 notsonewbie

notsonewbie

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:what's a logbook? (30)

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

At this point in time I am still renting tanks and since I am landlocked, it wont really be practical to buy them since the air fills and the tank rental are close in price at the shop I go to.

Edited by notsonewbie, 26 May 2005 - 06:18 PM.

a true patriot questions authority

#73 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:15 PM

I think we've created a monster.

#74 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

The all black thing is a DIR myth, fwiw.

My wing for my doubles rig is bright red, and I've got stickers all over my backplate, and biker-style flames on my drysuit pockets. (yes, my suit is black, but that's just because black is the only color my particular suit comes in). I also frequently write stupid things all over my fins with a white paint pen, and if I could find a molded rubber fin in a color besides black (or pink), I'd buy 'em.

Also referenced previous in this thread, since I'm in myth-squashing mode, is the idea that DIR divers only dive drysuits. Absolutely false. I took my cave training in a 3 mil (the water was 78 degrees). The idea isn't to wear a uniform - it's to wear gear that is appropriate for the dive you're doing.

DIR divers like to have fun too, ya know....

:lmao:

-david

(edit: this message no longer makes sense in context, as a previous message in the thread that made reference to diving in all black was edited by another user)

Edited by David Evans, 26 May 2005 - 06:38 PM.

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#75 notsonewbie

notsonewbie

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:what's a logbook? (30)

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

I wish I had water warm enough for a 3 mil wetsuit. I am used to the 7 mil that anything lighter almost feels naked (scary thought).
a true patriot questions authority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users