• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Now I understand women - NOT!

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#31 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

But cold in a 5 mil, in 84 degrees?  :cool2: I understand that the best divers burn the less air, the less calories, and therefore the less body heat.  Guess there's always the 7 mil next.

Don...I think you saw me dive 81 degree water in Cozy in a 7mil that is really the warmth of a 9mm cuz I was freezing in my 5mm that is the warmth of 7mm. Of course I was down longer then everyone and yes it is safe to say that I move far less in the water then I saw you doing so perhaps you stay warmer due to movement??? In fact I rarely say you quiet in the water so I'm guessing that is how you stay warm.

Yes, Ma'am...

I have been fortunate enough to dive with you a few times and am quite familiar with how good of a diver you are, with years of experience on me. I got here when I did.

But if it had been 81 for the boat dives, I'd been in a 1 mil. It ranged from 74 to 78, with Suface Interval winds, so I wore 3 mil.

Edited by DandyDon, 26 April 2004 - 09:02 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#32 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:04 PM

[/QUOTE]
[quote]Yes, Ma'am...!  :teeth:[/quote]

I am sure you meant "Miss", not "Ma'am"... :)

[quote]But I did say: West Coast US divers generally know to wear head protection both in the water and above in the wind...

But then, I've heard nothing but great about your diving.  I'd love to dive with you anytime, if ever the opportunity arises... :cool2:[/quote]

I don't generally classify myself as a West Coast diver, as I am such a WWW... So I think if we meet to dive, it may be in the Carribbean... and you might still see me shivering...

[quote]But cold in a 5 mil, in 84 degrees? [/quote]

Yes, cold in a 5 mm! It happens! :D

cheers! Jennifer

#33 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

I am sure you meant "Miss", not "Ma'am"...

"Ma'am" is a rural Texas courtesy. At any rate, I intended courtesy...

Edited by DandyDon, 26 April 2004 - 09:08 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#34 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:09 PM

Don,

I find it very interesting that you posted the exact same thing in two differebt places and got vastly different responses.

Someplace else, there were not nearly as many responses and mostly you got your chops busted.

Here people had fun with the thread.

I really like it here!

Walter

I dunno'? I seem to be getting hit on both fronts... :lam:

#35 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:16 PM

I am sure you meant "Miss", not "Ma'am"...

"Ma'am" is a rural Texas courtesy. At any rate, I intended courtesy...

I am sure you meant all courtesy, Don. I just HATE to be called "Ma'am". I refuse to age gracefully, LOL :cool2: !!

peace,

jennifer

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:22 PM

I seem to be getting hit on both fronts...

Relax and enjoy the attention. You're getting good natured teasing from some wonderful women!

I refuse to age gracefully

You are gorgeous, Darlin'! Don't worry about aging. Keep in mind, ma'am is NOT an indication of age coming from a southerner.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:22 PM

jen...you go girl!! the more i dive, the less i move, and the colder i get. i'm not ashamed of that.

doc....i wish i could say i can press my weight, but i'd be lyin'. i'd rather press YOUR weight (hahahaha)!!

Trigger!

Nothing to be 'shamed of! And I have to tell you how much I LOOOVE your avatar photo!

Just WHAT are you pressing, there???

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:24 PM

It looks like a 'puffer fish' but maybe its Don???? :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 sapphire

sapphire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

It looks like a 'puffer fish' but maybe its Don???? :cool2:

LOL, WW.... I was thinking something prickley but I could not be sure... my advanced age and all... glasses... etc etc

#40 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:31 PM

Ladies,

I am a WWS stuck in northern waters. I dive dry in Northern waters and I don't care the temp. The drysuit is here and I don't move enough to keep warm.

In "warm water" (Provo was 80 degrees or so), I got chilled and that was wearing a full 3mm and vest underneath. So, yes, I agree with Jennifer...

You don't like eye candy hypothermic, LOL. Feel free to dress as you need to if you dive with me. I would rather see you in a 3mm or 5mm than trying to dive in a bikini with teeth chattering.

Why do I have to work afternoons. I miss all the action on these threads.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#41 No Pressure

No Pressure

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:57 PM

jen...you go girl!! the more i dive, the less i move, and the colder i get. i'm not ashamed of that.

doc....i wish i could say i can press my weight, but i'd be lyin'. i'd rather press YOUR weight (hahahaha)!!

I warned ya'll. She is not for the weak of heart. But she is a darn good diver. Must be the skins she wears. :o
Diving; My zen space.

#42 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 April 2004 - 11:03 PM

Goodness, Triggerfish, was that a proposal?

Based on what I can see in the tiny image, the fish on Triggerfish's ironing board is not a puffer but a balloonfish. They belong to two different families (although some in the past have grouped them together). I startled one in the Sea of Cortez last December and got video of it deflating underwater (if they inflate on land they apparently are unable to deflate).

Jennifer, you really were a trouper that day. It was definitely cold although the incredible visibility made me forget I was in that shortie.

Dr. B.

Edited by drbill, 26 April 2004 - 11:07 PM.

#43 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:49 AM

That was a great day, 51 minutes in 51° F water a 1 hour 46 minute surface interval followed by another 43 minutes in the water (38 minutes of that actual bottom time). I was cold, but loving it. I got hooked on the kelp forest that day, I'll be back.

This past Saturday, the water was much warmer (75° F), but my buddy (Sharon) was cold on both dives. I know she chills easily, so I'd signal my question, "Are you cold?" She'd signal, "Yes." I'd respond with, "Want to go up?" She always replied, "I want to stay down." She's tough too. There are lots of mentally strong female divers.

One point, Sharon won't wear a hood. Not because of concern for her appearance, but because she's claustrophobic.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#44 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

There are lots of mentally strong female divers.

One point, Sharon won't wear a hood. Not because of concern for her appearance, but because she's claustrophobic.

I agree there are a lot of very mentally strong women divers! I know some women that dive thru a tremendous amount of fear...cold...seasickness...just to participate in this sport! And I've been very surprised at how many women are claustrophobic...in fact I used to think it was only me. That is the primary reason I don't wear a hood...however newer materials have helped that situation as have the discovery of a back zippered hood!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#45 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:38 AM

Gotta add my 2 cents here....

I wear a hood more often than not, for the warmth and also to keep the hair outta my face. My hair is very thick and if I don't wear a hood (or at least pull it back) it is a pain underwater. It used to be very very long (mid back) but I recently cut if off for summer. Now it's the length in my picture.

I used to feel kind of claustrophobic with my heavy cold water hood, but I'm used to it now. :wakawaka:

It does keep you warmer in cold water, and for me, it makes it easier and more comfortable to clear my ears when the water around them is not quite so cold.

Safe diving to all,
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users