• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Pick-up lines

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:40 AM

On the subject of pick-up lines. I joined one of these internet dating sites and just this week was sent a message that read "WOW, you are a very very attractive woman, loved your picture and your profile". Well the picture you see on SD.com is the picture I have showing there too (I haven't come up with a land picture I like).

Do people think be for opening there mouths or put fingers to keyboards. A simple "WOW" you look like your having fun" would be great.

And people wonder why I seldom date.

I've heard that some people send automatic (and the same) responses to all new "prospects" who just join and fit a certain criteria (e.g. age, location, etc.) and see who replies. Sort of a shotgun approach. Could this be one of those?

#32 DivingDolly

DivingDolly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, DivCon in training
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

That's always a possibility. It was kinda generic. I'm just not used to this form of meeting people. I've met some great people on the Bonaire trip, but no one close by. It's nice to be with someone who is interested in Diving on there vacations too.

#33 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:44 AM

Last year in Lauderdale by the Sea I saw this blond accross the parking lot setting up her gear and I thought it was Marvel, she saw me walking over but when I got closer I realized it wasn't Marvel so I said "I thought you were someone else". I'm sure she thought that was a line too! We talked for awhile and she came to the SD BBQ but never joined.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#34 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Open Water & Enriched Air Diver
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

Alright ladies...here's a question for you...seeing as my wife may throw me back on the market in the next month or two...I have been thinking about ways of approaching women. Earlier this week...I remember what Bahamasita was talking about in regards to being approached in the gym...so when I was working out these past few nights...I noticed a few nice looking women working out & was trying to come up with the best way to meet them. Here's what I came up with...simply walking over to her (when she's not in the middle of doing a specific work out) & just introducing myself and asking for her name. After that...simply saying, "It was nice to meet you [NAME]..." and then simply walking away.

The way I see it...it would play into a woman's need for intrigue & mystery as she would fully expect you to continue with a conversation and/or attempt to pick her up...but by walking away...you leave her asking herself...what just happened there? Anyhow...as it would play out (at least in my mind)...the next few times you happen to be in the gym...you now know her name...and indirectly...she will recognize you...and you can just casually walk up to her in the future and say, "Hello there [NAME]...nice seeing you again...". My assumption is that after a few casual meetings like this...you can work up to a point where either you feel comfortable enough to strike up a casual conversation with her or if you are really lucky...have her strike up a conversation with you.

Anyhow...I was just wondering how the ladies would respond if a guy employed this "technique" on you...any chance for success?

Kawika
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian
United States Military Academy Class of 1995 "With Honor We Strive..." F1/F4
"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

Anyone looking to rent a room in Sugar Land, TX?

#35 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Just my opinion but I think the initial contact would have to be a little longer than walking up and introducing yourself. You have to let her know in a not overly obvious or sleazing way that you have some initial attraction. So I would introduce yourself, make a little small talk (also allows you to see if she has any interest whatsover) and then go away. This establishes a bit more a connection so that she may even start talking to you the next time.

#36 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

Alright ladies...here's a question for you...seeing as my wife may throw me back on the market in the next month or two...I have been thinking about ways of approaching women. Earlier this week...I remember what Bahamasita was talking about in regards to being approached in the gym...so when I was working out these past few nights...I noticed a few nice looking women working out & was trying to come up with the best way to meet them. Here's what I came up with...simply walking over to her (when she's not in the middle of doing a specific work out) & just introducing myself and asking for her name. After that...simply saying, "It was nice to meet you [NAME]..." and then simply walking away.

The way I see it...it would play into a woman's need for intrigue & mystery as she would fully expect you to continue with a conversation and/or attempt to pick her up...but by walking away...you leave her asking herself...what just happened there? Anyhow...as it would play out (at least in my mind)...the next few times you happen to be in the gym...you now know her name...and indirectly...she will recognize you...and you can just casually walk up to her in the future and say, "Hello there [NAME]...nice seeing you again...". My assumption is that after a few casual meetings like this...you can work up to a point where either you feel comfortable enough to strike up a casual conversation with her or if you are really lucky...have her strike up a conversation with you.

Anyhow...I was just wondering how the ladies would respond if a guy employed this "technique" on you...any chance for success?

Kawika

Okay... it's hard to say based on just the written version, but I think that if that happened to me, I'd just think you were a little weird. It's okay to keep it brief and not hit on her too hard.... or even ask her out the first time you talk.... but come up with something to talk about ... or say .... and then introduce yourself (sort of the afterthought.... "oh by the way, my name is..."). Do you know that these women work out at the same time each night?

Good luck!
K

#37 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Well...I guess I could always go with the old..."I couldn't help but notice you" line as well...

K
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian
"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:01 PM

Well...I guess I could always go with the old..."I couldn't help but notice you" line as well...

K

Kawika,

I don't think you need to use a *line* at all. (Most women can spot a *player* a mile away, and if you employ a standard *line* or use a *technique*, you just might come off as one.)

I'd follow Michelle's and Sassy's advice -- just be casual and be yourself.

Since you're at the gym, could you not initiate the conversation by asking a question regarding the facilities or equipment? If she seems friendly and receptive, then you've 'broken the ice', as it were, and it might be easier for you to let your interest in her be known.

#39 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

Well...there isn't anyone in particular that I was referring to in the situation I described...I just wondered what would be the best method of meeting someone in that situation. I definitely think that in a gym...most girls tend to have their guards up when they see a man approaching them...so I definitely think that it would be one of the harder places to actually meet someone. Add in the fact that most people aren't really at the gym to linger in hopes of meeting someone...and it makes it even harder. I'm definitely not what I would consider a player type...and for the most part...I've been off the market for most of my dating life (i.e., my wife is only my second girlfriend in my life)...so this whole random dating thing is still a little new to me. I guess you could say that I am like a shiny new bike that is about to get his training wheels taken off... :welcome:
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian

#40 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:29 PM

Well...there isn't anyone in particular that I was referring to in the situation I described...I just wondered what would be the best method of meeting someone in that situation. I definitely think that in a gym...most girls tend to have their guards up when they see a man approaching them...so I definitely think that it would be one of the harder places to actually meet someone. Add in the fact that most people aren't really at the gym to linger in hopes of meeting someone...and it makes it even harder. I'm definitely not what I would consider a player type...and for the most part...I've been off the market for most of my dating life (i.e., my wife is only my second girlfriend in my life)...so this whole random dating thing is still a little new to me. I guess you could say that I am like a shiny new bike that is about to get his training wheels taken off... :welcome:

As the ladies have said- be your self!!

If you work out regularly and know proper technique for using the eqiupment and for lifting (most people don't), and if one of the ladies you find interesting is doing someone improperly, this would give you a chance to offer to show her a better method or technique. After your lifting lesson, if not before-offer your name and that if they have any additional questions, let them know they can ask!

Just my 2 psi!!

And for the record-it ain't a pick up line, merely a potential safety issue just like discussing the merits of diving here!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#41 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:58 PM

If you work out regularly and know proper technique for using the eqiupment and for lifting (most people don't), and if one of the ladies you find interesting is doing someone improperly, this would give you a chance to offer to show her a better method or technique. After your lifting lesson, if not before-offer your name and that if they have any additional questions, let them know they can ask!

Uh.. .I don't know about the other women but I wouldn't use this approach. While I would want to know if someone saw me doing something that was seriously dangerous, I think you may run the risk of the woman thinking you are egotistical and/or showing off. Or, worse, they may have the initial impression that you will be a critic ongoing... and there is that old thing about "men being fixers".... :welcome:

#42 Kawika

Kawika

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:02 PM

Ha ha...I completely understand Sassy...while I am pretty well acquainted with the gym & sports in general...I would never profess to being a professional when it comes to lifting weights... :welcome: I think I'll just stick with...Hi my name is Kawika...have you heard of a site called SingleDivers.com? :welcome:
Kawika Iida
Sugar Land, TX
Christian

#43 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

Uh.. .I don't know about the other women but I wouldn't use this approach. While I would want to know if someone saw me doing something that was seriously dangerous, I think you may run the risk of the woman thinking you are egotistical and/or showing off. Or, worse, they may have the initial impression that you will be a critic ongoing... and there is that old thing about "men being fixers".... :welcome:

So if a woman approaches me in the gym with a question about a lifting technique or exercise, am I then to tell her to piss off???

:welcome:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#44 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

Or, worse, they may have the initial impression that you will be a critic ongoing... and there is that old thing about "men being fixers".... ohmy.gif

And you know what that can mean--they might ask you to actually fix something--and that's always bad--if you can't fix it--they think you're a dope and if you can--then you have to fix stuff all the time!!!

I went out with this one woman and she asked me in to see if I would put in her new sink on the very first date. I was like---right---you just sunk this guy with your sink.

And I like to fix things!!!

Whatever happened to the old ways like in M.A.S.H.??? Me Lay Marston. Me Lay, You Lay?? Great pick up line!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#45 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

Uh.. .I don't know about the other women but I wouldn't use this approach.

It went something like -

Hey Steve. and I quote, "You know its hot outside when you can feel sweat roll down the crack of your ... "

I was speechless. I had no idea what to say.

:welcome: :welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users