• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What's Your Sign?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#106 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

I personally detest large crowds because they are so impersonal. I'm not good at small talk -- it bores me -- and generally, in large groups, that's all that's available in terms of conversation. 3 to 4 people is usually my max. I"d rather learn quirky, intimate things about someone and feel that they are interested enough in me to trust me with such tidbits, than sit around and find out what people's weekend plans are. I find it's also a *better* way to make friends with new people. (At least for me.)

A perfect summary of how I view larger groups as well, Annasea. :diver:

:cool2:
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#107 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:40 AM

I personally detest large crowds because they are so impersonal. I'm not good at small talk -- it bores me -- and generally, in large groups, that's all that's available in terms of conversation. 3 to 4 people is usually my max. I"d rather learn quirky, intimate things about someone and feel that they are interested enough in me to trust me with such tidbits, than sit around and find out what people's weekend plans are. I find it's also a *better* way to make friends with new people. (At least for me.)

A perfect summary of how I view larger groups as well, Annasea. :clapping:

:cool1:

You are most welcome, David! (Sorry I didn't notice this sooner; I just found this now.)

If I can backtrack for a moment . . .

I sometimes (most of the time, in fact) feel like I don't fit in. I wish I did. I feel social pressure, especially as a single 39 year old, to fit into some societal "norm", and that's simply not me.

I understand, David, what you write about wanting to *fit in* -- life seems to be much easier when your interests and traits mesh with the masses -- but I'd hate to think that you feel that you don't fit in due largely in part to your introverted nature.

Like you, I often feel that I don't fit in. I feel awkward.

This quote of Twinklez's is in direct response to a post of yours. You see, even extroverts feel that they don't always *fit in*. :fish2:

What does *fit in* mean anyway? :dance: Think exactly like others? Have the exact same interests? Be just like everyone else? What a bland, dull, predictable world it would be!!!

The problem is not that one doesn't *fit in*, but that one may experience intolerance or ridicule for being *different*. Usually those that taunt, tease, or criticise have either experienced the same feelings in the past, or are insecure with their own selves, so they unleash those negative feelings on others. Or maybe they can't understand how people can be different from them because they've always been *lemmings* and have followed others their whole lives; they've never really questioned anything.

Either way, David, just keep being true to yourself! If you feel like heading out to a cocktail party or joing a dating website, go for it! If you feel like camping or hiking, do that too! Take life as it comes with little or no expectations other than keeping yourself happy. I like to think as long as one's mindset is *open* -- regardless of the activities one engages in -- one greatly increase the chances of meeting that special *someone*. (writes the seemingly chronic single woman! :clapping:)

Edited by annasea, 01 August 2005 - 03:49 AM.

#108 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:53 AM

This quote of Twinklez's is in direct response to a post of yours. You see, even extroverts feel that they don't always *fit in*. :clapping:

What does *fit in* mean anyway? :cool1: Think exactly like others? Have the exact same interests? Be just like everyone else? What a bland, dull, predictable world it would be!!!

The problem is not that one doesn't *fit in*, but that one may experience intolerance or ridicule for being *different*.

I think we all have those "I don't fit in" moments. I know I have.

And I agree. It is due to the intolerance or ridicule of others. I spent many years as a child being ask why I couldn't be quiet or sit still like my sister could. I didn't know why I was not just like her. To be very honest, I did believe that there must have been something wrong with me.

What an awful thing for a child to believe. I now realize that we were different personalities, and that I was an extrovert. I just wish that my Mom would have accepted this about me instead of always trying to get me to conform to what she thought I should be. I will also state that I was not a bad out of control child. I was just active and lively. Always needing to learn.. So yes, I was always asking questions and wanting answers. I still can't sit quiet for very long.

I have learned that the differences between us is what I enjoy the most about people. I do not feel threatened when I meet someone different. I no longer believe that there is something wrong with me. (thanks Mom.. 28 years of living and major $$$ in therapy later). :dance:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#109 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

(thanks Mom.. 28 years of living and major $$$ in therapy later).  :hiya:

Yet one more reason I'm glad I'm a *daddy's girl*! :welcome:

#110 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

Yet one more reason I'm glad I'm a *daddy's girl*! :welcome:

You are a lucky gal. :hiya:

#111 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:47 PM

Yet one more reason I'm glad I'm a *daddy's girl*! :P

You are a lucky gal. :D

LOL!!! No, not really . . . he's just the lesser of the two evils! ;)

#112 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

LOL!!! No, not really . . . he's just the lesser of the two evils! :P

I know the feeling... ;)

#113 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

The Leo definition is quite accurate, but then we all are different to some extent.
Individuality is whay life's all about!!!

#114 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

Ok, I took the test and came out an ENJF. However, I agree with Walter. The questions are very hard to answer with a yes or no. Many of them just aren't yes / no questions. I have taken the Meyers-Briggs test several times during "leadership training" courses at work. The last time I played with the test and had to go see HR. They thought I had gone nutso on them. In any case the answers I chose were intended to confuse the test to see what happened. I can't remember what the score was anymore, but it was interesting to see what happened. I did convince them that I was tired of taking this stupid test over and over again, so I was playing with it. Engineers tend to do those kinds of things.

When I was in elementary school a teacher gave us a Meyers-Briggs test and I remember being told I was an Introvert and I resented the label. My real scores as an adult have been pretty much what the one above has shown, I think, but I place little reliability in such things. I am normally an extroverted person, but there are times when I really want to be alone. Am I an introvert then and not other times? It's pretty silly if you ask me.

By the way, I place no reliability in astrology. Most of the descriptions and horoscopes are written such that anyone can find themselves in the description or believe the horoscope. They are very, very vague and not very meaningful. Having said that, I am a Pisces.

However, looking at these things from time to time can be fun.

Edited by Dennis, 02 August 2005 - 10:07 AM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#115 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

I think we all have those "I don't fit in" moments. I know I have.

Not me. Of course there are times when nobody else fits, but I'm always fine.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#116 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:51 AM

Not me. Of course there are times when nobody else fits, but I'm always fine.

:D
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users