• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI v Diverlink

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

On July 13, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled against PADI in it's appeal of the United States District Court for Central District of California's ruling in PADI's suit against Diverlink. It looks like this is finally over, PADI should now be paying Diverlink's legal expenses as ordered by the United States District Court for the Central District of California which were approximately $197,000 prior to the appeal. I have no idea how much they are at this point.

The suit was filed as a result of PADI's displeasure with an article published on the Diverlink website comparing the Open Water training standards of three certification agencies.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the update. I am very pleased that the courts did the right thing in this case. You never really know until they rule.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#3 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

I'm assuming they reflected PADI in less than stellar light?

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

Decide for yourself, it's still up on the Diverlink website.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Found it...

"87 Reads" (including mine). To which, if I were a PADI exec., my answer would be something along the lines of "who cares!!"

Anyway, I'm only PADI certified, and have no experience with other agencies to compare. Thus, I can't support or deny such an opinion. However, the nice thing about it is we live in a country where someone can state their opinion and only have to worry about getting sued :birthday:

-Warthog, PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, & EAN diver.

#6 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

As a caution, the 9th Circuit is by far the most-reversed Court of Appeal.

After reading the judgement here
http://www.ca9.uscou...84?OpenDocument
it seems like the case rests on one point - that Diverlink was merely the publisher, not the writer, and therefore is immune to defamation claims under 47 USC 203 ( c )(1); as a result, PADI can not prove that they would likely prevail over Diverlink in federal court. The dissent, which may have legs, is that Diverlink failed to prove proper federal jurisdiction based on the size of damages exceeding state jurisdiction limits.

Of course I'm not a lawyer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#7 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

I am not finding the article easily on Diverlink can someone provide a link please?

Thanks,
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

Sure.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

it seems like the case rests on one point

Actually, no. That was merely the only point on which the District Court ruled. My understanding (and I'm not a lawyer) is to win PADI had to prove several points. This is from memory of an excplanation I heard just over two years ago, so take it for what it's worth. Those points are:

1. The article is false.

This is very difficult to prove since the article is true.

2. The author and/or publisher knew it to be false.

Since the article is true and the author, publisher and even the plaintiff knew it to be true, I don't see how it is possible to prove this point.

3. The article was written with an intention of doing harm to PADI.

Also not true, although since the lawsuit was filed considerable mutual bad blood has come to exist between PADI and both the publisher and author that did not exist at the time the article was written.

4. PADI suffered financial harm.

PADI keeps getting bigger and bigger, no harm that anyone can see.

5. The harm suffered was a direct result of the article.

If anything, in this instant gratification society, it likely increased PADI's business.

The court never looked at any of those issues because it ruled they were moot since Diverlink merely published the article and did not write it. PADI could have possibly gotten a court ruling on the merits of the article had they filed suit against the author. I say possibly because PADI did not file the original suit in a timely manner. There's a good chance that suit would have also been dismissed without going to the merits of the article. I was actually looking forward to the court issuing a ruling on the points listed above.

It appears a large corporation unsuccessfully tried to bully a small organization (in reality,one man) into withdrawing an article they didn't like because they didn't believe the small organization had the financial ability to defend the case. Luckily, a very dedicated lawyer took the case with no guarantee of payment. She has earned a great deal of respect both as a talented lawyer and as a decent human being.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Can you provide the original comparison document link? I wasn't able to find it on diverlink.com.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

Look up a couple of posts.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:33 PM

Walter, - from the sounds of it I suspect that PADI was alleging libel? This is, indeed very difficult to prove. While PADI would not have to have proven damages as a result of the alleged tort for Diverlink to have been found guilty of the tort, damages would be necessary for compensation (unless there were punitive damages awarded). In any event, a party cannot be found guilty of libel for statements based on fact or opinion (if clearly stated).

If PADI did not prove these elements I highly doubt that the decision will be overturned (but, then again, it is court and I have been wrong before! :birthday: )

#13 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

Egads.....is this still going on???? At this point who really cares??? DL made comments that upset PADI.......with all thats going on in the world...this dont amount to a pimple on somethings butt. Got better things to do....and complain about....have brothers and sisters dieing in the desert for a reason no one can remember why.....at least not a really good reason. Never mind...........just pisses me off.
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:46 PM

Actually, no. It's been over since last Wednesday. I just didn't hear about it until today.

Rich, you're right, the issue of people dying is much more important. You could post that statement in any thread and you'd be right.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

Maybe this is why PADI is pushing their con-ed programs!
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users