• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PADI v Diverlink

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:03 AM

What is con-ed?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#17 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:33 AM

Con-ed = continuing education perhaps? :o

#18 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:55 AM

If PADI had let this alone few people would have heard about it and even less would have read it.
I think this has more to do with their lawer$ looking out for their own intere$t and not PADI's.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

......and I was thinking Consolidated Edison.........

Actually, no, This has had no effect on PADI programs. The only program of which I'm aware was affected was the YMCA. When they reviewed the comparison they saw PADI required breathing from a free flowing regulator. The Advisory Committee thought that was an excellent skill and added it to the Y standards in 2001.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

Well Ray, the lawyers are the ones who made out in this mess. I don't know, but I'm guessing the lawsuit cost PADI close to a million dollars. It cost them just over $200K (they paid just over $3K for my attorney's fees in addition to the $197K they still need to pay for Diverlink's attorney's fees) for the defendant's attorney's fees before they went to appeal. While their attorneys may be a part of the problem, they were not the ones who started the mess. PADI contacted Diverlink and me expressing their displeasure over the article. I had ongoing discussions with a member of their QA team for about 2 - 3 months about the article. At the end of the discussions, we agreed the article was accurate and factual with regard to PADI standards. At that point, while I still thought the standards should be improved, I had a positive feeling towards PADI. She even thanked me for being fair and accurate. Shortly after that, they filed the suit.

DSSW,

WWW™

#21 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:53 AM

On July 13, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled against PADI in it's appeal of the United States District Court for Central District of California's ruling in PADI's suit against Diverlink. It looks like this is finally over, PADI should now be paying Diverlink's legal expenses as ordered by the United States District Court for the Central District of California which were approximately $197,000 prior to the appeal. I have no idea how much they are at this point.

The suit was filed as a result of PADI's displeasure with an article published on the Diverlink website comparing the Open Water training standards of three certification agencies.

Walter,

Wasn't aware of any of this, but am really curious about the fact that you were directly involved. Hope all is well with you!!!!!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

Hope all is well with you!!!!!!!!!

I've actually enjoyed most of the process, so no worries, buddy. Sometime when you're really bored and want to get even more bored, we'll discuss the details over a beer or three.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

Hope all is well with you!!!!!!!!!

I've actually enjoyed most of the process, so no worries, buddy. Sometime when you're really bored and want to get even more bored, we'll discuss the details over a beer or three.

That's what I like: a man who knows his limits. Walter should never have 2 beers!
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:09 AM

Never 2.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:44 AM

If PADI had let this alone few people would have heard about it and even less would have read it.
I think this has more to do with their lawer$ looking out for their own intere$t and not PADI's.

I hate to say it but excessive legal fees are generally incurred at the insistence of the client. All I can say is that if my clients persist in taking an unreasonable stance, I will try to dissuade them and advise them of their risks. Remember, we lawyers are the paid mouthpieces of our clients and just because we take a stance doesn't mean we believe in it. Matlock was true Hollywood fiction! :birthday:

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:50 AM

I hate to say it but excessive legal fees are generally incurred at the insistence of the client.

Why do you hate to say it, Darlin'?

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:00 AM

I hate to say it since it is, once again, something that makes us lawyers look bad to the general public...

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:16 AM

I hate to say it since it is, once again, something that makes us lawyers look bad to the general public...

If clients force you to run up legal fees (something I did not know) then its good that you've shared that with us...but I'm guessing that is the real issue...the excessive legal fees do not make it look like the client is to blame.

Lately lawyers don't look so bad to me! LOL!! Or maybe thats just cuz I've been hanging around too many of them lately! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#29 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

No. It makes you look good. If you were running up the costs on your own, it would make you look like a greedy, blood sucking pig. Since it is the client insisting over your objections, you come out smelling like a rose.

DSSW,

WWW™

#30 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for that Walter but the problem is the general public perception (which is alluded to above) that it is the lawyers insisting that the client carry through with a frivilous case. At least where I practice, this is almost never the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users