• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

My posts keep disappearing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#31 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:45 AM

What's HH anyway?

#32 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

Fairybasslet, I presume the "Upcoming SD Events, Happy Hours & Functions Details" forum. "HH" being short for "Happy Hour." And I'd guess the trouble with the post that started this thread was because SD HH events need to be recognized as official events before they can be posted on that particular forum. This is all just speculation on my part.

#33 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

You'll knock 'em dead! :birthday:

P.S. forget blue water - I was hopelessly hooked after my first brown water quarry dive. :birthday:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#34 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:05 PM

Best fishes for your session tomorrow night, Caetllon.

#35 Mishelle

Mishelle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Cert Level:My life is only complete when Im 150 ft deep!
  • Logged Dives:lost count....actually lost log too :(

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:40 AM

Sorry hun, thats not why it was started. My thread got pulled not because it was innappropriate, or againt the Terms of Service.....but because my opinion didnt seem to mesh with managements. Go figure....
:) Mishelle

The best day I ever had was face to face with a man and a shark, and wondering who was gonna bite me first- Poison Pen

Divers Wanted! Come dive with SD!!

#36 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:23 AM

Hhmm... I wonder... was the post on the generally public set of forums, or in the otherwise protected/private Happy Hour Planners forum (the forum only accessed by HH planners)?

If in the protected/private forum (and I would guess that is where you would have posted it), I would be MOST disappointed that any posts are pulled from that forum. After all, if you can't post something on a protected board, read by others who share in the same responsibility or function (ie., Happy Hour planners), then what good is the private forum? And if pulled because it wasn't the same thought as the management's... oi.... don't get me started! How does a board grow if alternative fews aren't shared? This is not an assimilation board... it's a diving board for goodness sakes!

It's well and good to have a formal feedback channel, but IMO the militant sounding response in offering the information about the feedback channels seems a bit formal for the otherwise fun loving group on this board. There was something I once heard... let's see... what was it.... "it's not what you say, it's how you say it"....

Edited by TheSassyRabbit, 13 September 2005 - 06:59 AM.

#37 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

Hhmm... I wonder... was the post on the generally public set of forums, or in the otherwise protected Happy Hour Planners forum? If in the protected forum (and I would guess that is where you would have posted it), I would be MOST disappointed that any posts are pulled. After all, if you can't post something on a protected board, read by others who share in the same responisibility or function, then what good is the forum? And if pulled because it wasn't the same thought as the management's... oi.... don't get me started! How does a board grow if alternative fews aren't shared? This is not an assimilation board... it's a diving board for goodness sakes!

It's well and good to have a formal feedback channel, but IMO the militant sounding response in offering the information about the feedback channels seems a bit formal for the otherwise fun loving group on this board. There was something I once heard... let's see... what was it.... "it's not what you say, it's how you say it"....

Until I started to moderate our message board for work, I never really understood the big deal about "censoring" posts. But here's the deal. My message board at work is there for our franchisees to post questions, opinions, etc. However, the parent company pays to maintain the site and pays me and others to moderate. Some questions or comments may seem quite innocent, and I've approved some for posting that turned out to create quite a firestorm. In fact, I've just completed two weeks of angst over a post that I approved. You never know what the company's policies are (even when you work for them apparrantly. :evilgrin: ) The fact is, the company that is paying for the site, bandwidth, manpower, etc., has sole responsibility for the content. If they don't like it, then it is perfectly within their rights to pull a post. Personally, I prefer open forums, but I can understand why there might be reasons to pull a post, even though they aren't clear to the rest of us. Also, I think the sniping about it is, uhhmmm, how can I put this delicately, a bit disruptive, perhaps? I love Mishelle, I love Kamala, and I greatly appreciate everyone's opinions on this board.

#38 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

Good luck at keep at it. I think, in some ways, you are at a disadvantage where you live. I mean, to learn dry suit (which I never dove in before) and BOW is a bit of a challenge. The most I had to wear was a 7mm in the quarry for my OW dives. You could to your check out dives somewhere warm if you wanted. All you need is a referral. I had to do that for my son. The poor vis and the cold of the quarry was too much for him to handle, so he did his check out dives in the Keys.

#39 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:26 AM

A dry suit isn't all that difficult and it means she'll have to get her ducks all in a row early. That's a good thing. It's also better to do check out dives locally if at all possible. People who do so are far more likely to be regular divers than those who use referrals. I'm hoping our dear Caetllonn will be a regular diver.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#40 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:22 AM

Well said Miss Fairybasslet,

Unless I'm mistaken, none of the financial burdens or responsibility for solvency have been placed on the volunteers associated with this site. This is still a business, first and foremost, and it is unreasonable to expect the business to provide a public forum for whining. Yes, they can and should solicit opinions and feedback, but requesting that we provide it in an orderly and discreet fashion seems completely reasonable to me.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#41 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

I'm hoping our dear Caetllonn will be a regular diver.

She'll have no trouble there; with all the member's encouraging her, she has a guaranteed dive partner just about anywhere in the Western Hemisphere she wants to visit.

Platypusman
--wielder of the mighty PlatyCam!

#42 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:06 AM

Michael,

I've been trying not to post in this thread because I don't want to stir the pot. OTOH, I do not believe this is about whining.

It is about what is or is not within SD policies. SD policies have been developed for us all to follow. When we make a post that violates those policies, that post is removed and rightly so. We may agree or disagree with those policies, but we all have to follow them.

OTOH, there are also moderation policies that SD management must also follow. Those policies prohibit pulling posts that do not violate SD policies.

One policy or another was violated. Since I no longer have access to the back rooms, I can't say if Mishelle's post violated any SD policy or not. I do know Mishelle has stated it did not violate SD policies, but merely had a difference of opinion. I've not seen anyone dispute that statement. If that is true, then the post was pulled in violation of SD moderation policies and should be replaced.

I believe we need to give Mishelle & George a little time to resolve this in a friendly manner before anyone jumps in and stirs the pot by making posts about whining.

Let's all back off and hope this gets settled within established policies. If the post violated the rules, I'm sure she'll be notified of the problem and she'll accept it. If the post didn't run afoul of any rule, I'm sure George will do the right thing and put it back.

DSSW,

WWW™

#43 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

Yes, they can and should solicit opinions and feedback, but requesting that we provide it in an orderly and discreet fashion seems completely reasonable to me.

Opinions and feedback were solicited TWO WEEKS AGO by the way.

Just my observation,

Que :2cool:

Michael,

That cute young soldier we met on the plane gotta be your twin from another mother separated by 20 years. You should have been there at Sambuca listening to his guitar. I was trying to treat him but all the vendors wouldn't take my money. We were getting everything free from parking to dinner, breakfast, drinks, etc. It was a good thing I had an extra day off to show him around Dallas. So glad I followed your example in talking to strangers and had a awesome time.

Que :birthday:

#44 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:13 AM

Walter,

This thread and some others ARE about whining. The place for opinions and feedback should and is in the private forum with no reponse for 2 WEEKS. When you start threads like these in the public forum, it is WHINING.

Que :2cool:

#45 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

Que,

If the post was pulled because it had a differing opinion, it's not whining, but a cry against injustice. Injustice should never be tolerated.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users