• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What qualitites do you look for in a mate?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#61 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:52 PM

Before I check this one I need a refresher as to what else you like to do besides scuba. :cool1:

 Loves to do many of the same things I do.

Ana

So in addition to the things that WW so thoughtfully pointed out, I'm pretty well-rounded. In the recent past I've had season seats for the symphony and the opera, I'm a regular at the Getty Museum, love the House of Blues, know my way around a wine list and know the perfect restaurant for any occasion here in L.A. and the secret, no-traffic way to get to Dodger Stadium. I'm fun, low-key, no-drama. You can take me home AND take me home to mom. Got a good career and finished in the top 5% of my graduating class for my MBA. Most importantly, I'm emotionally available and healthy and family is huge to me. Sound like someone any of you might like to get to know better?

[end of sales pitch]
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#62 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:56 PM

...season seats for the symphony and the opera, .....[end of sales pitch]

My childhood dream was to sing the title role in Madam Butterfly....[end of sales pitch] :cool1:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#63 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

jextract, i think most of the ladies on this board could go for a guy like you. Unfortunetly, when you are a youngun like me...age is a huge factor. :cool1:
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#64 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:01 PM

My childhood dream was to sing the title role in Madam Butterfly....[end of sales pitch] :cool1:

Beautiful opera. I'm a sucker for La Traviata, though. Kills me every time.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#65 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:03 PM

jextract, i think most of the ladies on this board could go for a guy like you. Unfortunetly, when you are a youngun like me...age is a huge factor. :cool1:

No problem ... I can tell in what you write that we're definitely at different points in our lives anyway!

#66 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:09 PM

Me too. And Carmen. But Aida..... (sigh) My cell phone ring is "La donna e mobile " from Rigoletto!

Edited by Marvel, 12 May 2004 - 11:09 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#67 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

Me too. And Carmen. But Aida..... (sigh) My cell phone ring is "La donna e mobile " from Rigoletto!

Very nice! I really love the Italian operas (including Mozart, even though...), but the German really don't do it for me. I sat through hours and hours of Wagner's Tristan & Isolde and it was like tearing a band-aid off REEEEEEALY slowly. I don't know what I'd be like if I had to do The Ring .....

#68 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:15 AM

You mean there's more to being cultured than sitting through The Barber of Seville, as performed by Bugs and Elmer t. Fudd??? Now you guys are pulling on MY heartstrings.

#69 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:01 AM

You mean there's more to being cultured than sitting through The Barber of Seville, as performed by Bugs and Elmer t. Fudd??? Now you guys are pulling on MY heartstrings.

Hey that's classic:

How about the one with Elmer in a viking outfit threatening to use his spear and magic helmet?

"Kill the wabbit!"
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#70 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:15 AM

Jamie,

First, Mozart wasn't Italian. Second, Mozart was Classical. Wagner was Romantic. The biggest difference between the two is the two different periods. Perhaps you simply prefer Classical to Romantic?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#71 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:06 AM

My sales pitch:

This is not really a sales pitch (more "truth in advertising") but I am definitely not "cultured." You won't see me at a show where the guys wear tights or women sing loudly in languages I cannot understand.

Although I did find the fountains at Bellagio (Las Vegas) to be the highlight of my trip there...and some of the music was probably classical in nature, if I had a choice between a "culture" show and a hike through a national park, I will take the hike.

Edited by ColoradoPilot, 13 May 2004 - 06:35 AM.

#72 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:11 AM

boy, walter, you sure know how to kill a conversation!

marvel...i'm with you...i love butterfly. except the ending, of course. if I'D written it, she woulda knifed PINKERTON, not herself!!!!

yes, my secret is out. i, too, had season tickets to the opera (i even stopped swearing long enough to listen).

jamie... you listed all that well rounded stuff (which is fantastic, btw), but you failed to mention your wonderful sense of humor(and photographic skills! winkwink)

and i agree with the slow torture of 'the ring'. tho i did see 'elektra'...that was kinda cool......

#73 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:17 AM

vivaldi and mozart - the bomb. tchai - beautiful ballets, amazing scores. my husband must waltz with me for our first dance to something from the sleeping beauty suite (or something similar - or even swing for all i care - i'm a sucker for big band). norah jones - beautiful voice. puccini - entertaining, always makes me cry. mozart's operas - powerful. CSI, if you even dare to drag me to the magic flute after i show up on your doorstep, think again. i saw that as a child, and it took forever for me to go to the opera again (although i might be more open minded now). don giovanni OTOH ...XOXOXOXO! :fish:!

#74 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:47 AM

Jamie,

First, Mozart wasn't Italian. Second, Mozart was Classical. Wagner was Romantic. The biggest difference between the two is the two different periods. Perhaps you simply prefer Classical to Romantic?

Walter, I know Mozart wasn't Italian, that's why I said in my post "(even though...). His operas, though, were in the language and style of other Italian composers. It has more to do with style. I find Wagner's style very abrupt and lacking in subtlety and emotion. I think it is more of a German issue, because I also see it in Strauss and Brahms as well. Even though my favorite composer is Gustav Mahler (a Romantic period composer and yes, I know he's Austrian but he did much of his composition in Germany) I see some of that abruptness in his works, particularly in his purely vocal pieces (e.g. Das Lied von der Erde). Mahler, on the other hand, is capable of a wide range of emotion, even in one piece as his Second Symphony readily demonstrates - if you haven't heard that live it is the most thrilling, emotional piece you ever will. The only one for me that comes close is contemporary composer Morten Lauridsen's "Lux Aeterna". I don't think that the style is the issue at all. Tchaikovsky was another Romantic period composer and his music is amazingly expressive - has any composer captured pure sadness the way that he did in his Sixth Symphony? Verdi is another wonderful, expressive Romantic period composer, as is Debussy.

#75 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

Hey that's classic:

How about the one with Elmer in a viking outfit threatening to use his spear and magic helmet?

"Kill the wabbit!"

A couple of years ago the Hollywood Bowl had a performance of classical music used in cartoons ... how awesome is that?

Yes, that rendition of Ride of the Valkyries is hilarious!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users