• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

All you've been doing is walking on it Hawk??? Once again Hawk gets it right: Parrotfish

I wonder if they say the bigger the parrotfish the bigger the.....ah nevermind :P

Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 9

Name this sea creature (aka when in black, we divers all look alike... :teeth: ):

This sea creature has mastered the art of "facultative female mimicry." In non-scientific terms that means this sea creature has mastered the art of "cross-dressing" to pass by larger competitive males so they can mate with females right under their competition's guard. The success of this apparent mimicry was evident from the researchers' observations in that other males attempted to mate these "sneaker males", and spermatophores were clearly seen being delivered to the recipient male.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#33 drdiver

drdiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

That's many species of squid.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#34 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:37 PM

WHO-HOO DrD!! :teeth: In particular I was referencing the "flambouyant" cross dressing casanova of the reefs, the Cuttlefish as documented by Australian researchers!!

CREATURE FEATURE 10

Name this sea creature (aka It's aliiiiiiiive!!!):

Some species of this sea creature have "electric producing organs." (hey folks, I really don't make this stuff up) They shock and stun their prey with these organs. It is also thought that electric organs may be used for communication and mate location. (Dr. Frankenstein, eat your heart out….wait, bad visual)

#35 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

Name this sea creature (aka It's aliiiiiiiive!!!):

Some species of this sea creature have "electric producing organs." (hey folks, I really don't make this stuff up) They shock and stun their prey with these organs. It is also thought that electric organs may be used for communication and mate location. (Dr. Frankenstein, eat your heart out….wait, bad visual)

I'm guessing that an electric eel would be just too easy since it's also a fish & not a true eel as well, but I'll guess an Electric Ray because you're a sneaky and clever lady & probably would think everyone would say an electric eel.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#36 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

Well, that covers all the electricity producing fish. The eels, rays. and even the rare Caribbean torpedo (another ray--not explosive--very sad--we pyrates like explosives). Which I sighted in Coz once upon a time and had it confirmed by several divers. Only sighted in Grand Cayman by Wayne Hasson--Mr. Aggressor until then.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#37 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

Dr. D.. read up on that Torpedo Ray... WOW one bad A$$ Ray.. (I also think they are reallycool)
able to produce up to 220 volts.. I think that would get the attention of even the heartiest diver. :teeth:

Edited by gis_gal, 24 October 2005 - 07:20 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#38 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

Dr. D.. read up on that Torpedo Ray... WOW one bad A$$ Ray.. (I also think they are reallycool)
able to produce up to 220 volts.. I think that would get the attention of even the heartiest diver. cool2.gif

Tis truly a Pyrate's Ray. I could imagine an expedition to the Bad Pyrate infested Indonesian Archepeligo. Home of the Komodo Dragon, the world's largest living lizard.

We might find us some bad Pyrates and throw our wet tank of Torpedo Rays at them. Paralyzing them and then send 'em to Davy Jones Locker. Arrggghh. would be a good deed.

#39 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:15 PM

OOOOOO you all are great!!! Trace, brownie points for calling me sneaky and clever (for the record, I look up to me clever sneaky mentor....GG)!! It is in fact the Electric Ray! FYI, we also have electric skates in our water here too - although much more rare for divers to encounter.

CREATURE FEATURE 12

Name this sea creature (aka You scared the ink out of me!):

These sea creatures have evolved a strategy for concealing themselves in dark water. They secrete a glowing curtain composed of mucus and luminescent bacteria from their unique light organs. They may use luminescent clouds for concealment in low light and ink clouds in well-lit waters. (yep, we're talking mucus spewing sea creatures again folks – no wonder I wear exposure protection…..*ahem*)

#40 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:21 PM

That 'tis a type of multicolonial pelagic Tunicate. I'll be bound although there are a couple of other See Sea Creatures that fit that deeescription.

#41 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

I'm looking for a deep dwelling version of a certain creature - one that modified it's defense due to the darkness.....keeping the good guesses coming!!

A type of pelagic tunicate, called a Larvacean, construct a mucous "house" containing complex internal filters. The small animal lives attached to the filters in the middle of the house and eats the filters when they fill with food. The animal will then "bail out" of the house and construct a new one from mucus produced on its head!!! Aack, that is a good edition to our Halloween Creature Feature for sure!!! :teeth:

#42 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

There be pelagic tunicates with such a house of bacterial luminescent light. *I be a marine microbiologist, ye know."*

But no doubt ye have something else in mind, that will in doubt inform us. I await yer answer.

Arrrgggh. The Pyrate needs more ships with doubbloons.!!! Arrggghh!!!

#43 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:43 PM

I'm looking for the creature that spews a glowing curtain composed of mucus and luminescent bacteria!!!! But be reminded, I only play a marine biologist on SD...and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night....... :teeth:

#44 Rescue

Rescue

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site, so let me try to start off and 'Rescue' :teeth: y'all with a correct answer:

Bobtail Squid ?

#45 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

Heya Rescue!!! You did just that and rescued these folks with your correct answer!!! Who-hoo for the Bobtail Squid!! May I be the first to say welcome and I would enjoy seeing you post an intro in our New to SingleDivers.com Forum!!! :teeth:

CREATURE FEATURE 13

Name this sea creature (aka anything I come up with here will be very inappropriate…):

When these sea creatures are young they can swim around. When they get older, they settle down by gluing themselves to their heads choosing to feed themselves by their feet. Are they hideous monsters??? And if so what kind of social life can a permanently attached creature have? Well a pretty good one as they males use their incredibly long…um you know, to “reach out and touch someone.” They have the largest organ of any other creature in the word in relation to its size. Guess that’s why they are stationary – too hard to walk…ooo I’m bad…(actually I blame dive_addict for this suggestion!! :teeth:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users