• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#46 Rescue

Rescue

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:05 PM

Do scuba divers :diver: qualify as sea creatures?
:welcome:

#47 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

That one is easy... barnacles. The biggest penile organ relative to body size (ah, next to mine? Didn't think you'd buy that! Oh, that's right... mine is the biggest senile organ relative to body size.).

Edited by drbill, 24 October 2005 - 10:14 PM.

#48 Rescue

Rescue

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

For sea creatures you're right I'd say, Dr Bill. (about 1.5x their body length)
Got thrown off by the fact that alpine banana slugs (land animals) have one almost 5.5x their body length.
Dive_Girl, maybe time to update your knowledge on these organs? :welcome:

#49 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:16 PM

DrBill rings in with the correct answer!!! Barnacles!! While I had been under the impression the goose barnacle held the "hefty" record, I have to admit I have not personally compared the organs of the barnacle to that of the banana slug...and to think I was impressed by the barnacle!! Enough organ talk...back to innerds!!

CREATURE FEATURE 14

Name this sea creature (aka If I only had a brain - I'd have known about bigger organs…..):

This sea creature will push its stomach out through its mouth to digest its food. It doesn't have a brain (it's true, it's not just a lame excuse after doing something stupid). Instead it has a ring of nerve cells that moves information around its body. Although it's brainless, this creature is lucky that it can regenerate body parts!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#50 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

Name this sea creature (aka If I only had a brain - I'd have known about bigger organs…..):

The entire male gender? :welcome:
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#51 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:44 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 14

This sea creature will push its stomach out through its mouth to digest its food.  It doesn't have a brain (it's true, it's not just a lame excuse after doing something stupid). Instead it has a ring of nerve cells that moves information around its body.  Although it's brainless, this creature is lucky that it can regenerate body parts!!

Sea star.

#52 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:08 AM

Good job gcbryan it is Sea Stars (in general)! (And welcome to the site!! I thought I saw a few posts from you lately and recognize you from the PNW! Please feel free to check out our New to SingleDivers.com Forum!) :welcome:

CREATURE FEATURE 15

Name this sea creature (aka all covered in snot and no where to go...):

These creatures find safety hiding inside another sea creature. While hiding, they stay safe from consumption or being stung by covering themselves with a sticky mucus (does everything in the ocean use mucus as protection!!???).
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#53 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:19 AM

Good job gcbryan it is Sea Stars (in general)! (And welcome to the site!! I thought I saw a few posts from you lately and recognize you from the PNW! Please feel free to check out our New to SingleDivers.com Forum!) :welcome:

CREATURE FEATURE 15

Name this sea creature (aka all covered in snot and no where to go...):

These creatures find safety hiding inside another sea creature. While hiding, they stay safe from consumption or being stung by covering themselves with a sticky mucus (does everything in the ocean use mucus as protection!!???).

Clown fish?

#54 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:34 AM

You are good - yes Clown Fish!! Who would have thunk Nemo was a little snot ball??

CREATURE FEATURE 16

Name this sea creature (aka is this just another way to get in a female’s pants?):

In a newly-discovered genus of bone-devouring critter which has no eyes, stomach or mouth and which use bacteria to dissolve the fat in whale bone so it can feed on them with strange root-like "limbs", each mature female found so far, has up to 100 microscopic males living inside their bodies. Like the drones of bees, their only function in life is to provide sperm for the female to use to perpetuate the species with. (gives a whole new meaning to “moving in” now doesn’t it?)

#55 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

Now that's a new one on me.

Have heard that whale carcasses are scattered across the bottom in areas like the southern California Bight, and that they are "biological islands" (in the dispersal sense) for the critters that feed on them or use them as habitat.

Now there are some human females who feel my gender has no "porpoise" other than as sperm donors.

#56 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

:welcome: You guys were getting these so quickly yesterday - I had to throw a left hook to slow y'all down. This one may be a googler, but it is interesting none-the-less!! And it is highly unlikely conventional divers would ever encounter these creatures! (hint)

#57 Rescue

Rescue

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:32 AM

These bone-eating sea worms are called Osedax frankpressi.
I'll admit, it was a googler.
Pictures of whale rib found, female, and male species can be found here:

:welcome:

#58 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

Who-hoo Rescue, and not only did you get the correct answer - marine worms, but you added a super cool link!!! Kudos!!! :welcome:

Stayed tuned for #17.....will it be more mucus???

#59 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

CREATURE FEATURE 17

Name this sea creature (aka House of Wax):

It is thought that this sea creature controls bouyancy by heating up or cooling a pocket of wax in a body cavity. If the wax is solid, it contracts and becomes more dense, making the creature heavier. When melted again, the wax expands, making the creature less dense. (Wax on - wax off Mr. Miyagi!!!)

#60 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:32 AM

Ooo - I know this one - Sperm Whale
heh heh he said sperm heh heh heh
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users