• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

Oh yea. It's one of these:

Posted Image

:teeth:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#17 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:07 PM

And DrBill comes through - because I made it so obvious throwing around the common term "madreporite" - and it was words like that I thought got my mouth washed out with soap when I was younger....

It is a Cushion Sea Star, otherwise known as the "Slime Star." Stay tuned for Creature Feature 5....
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:05 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 5

Name this sea creature (aka Return of the Living Dead):

These creatures, which also also exude lots of mucus when disturbed, enter either living or dead fish, feeding from within. :D They have also been known to enter and feed upon submerged corpses. Their writhing while inside feeding have lead to rescuers mistakenly thinking the corspe has moved on its own!!! Now if that doesn't give you a big huge Halloween GACK, I don't know what will!!! Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:21 PM

I'm betting on Hagfish.

This is fun - great idea Dive Girl. :D
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
WHO DAT!!!!

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Right on Hawk! And I'm glad someone is getting some joy out of my sick sick humor! Hagfish - ICK ICK ICK!! :D

Moving on now to something not so icky...*

CREATURE FEATURE 6

Name this sea creature (aka My parents visited the aquarium and I'll I got was this stupid arm...):

When under attack, some of these creatures can detach and autonomise their limbs, in a similar manner to skinks and other lizards. The crawling arm serves as a distraction to would-be predators; this ability is also used in mating...what the!??? "Hey Mom and Dad, guess what my boyfriend can do..." :D

*ok I lied........ :P It also reminds me of a certain song that I can't share here. Bonus if you know the song I'm thinking of - and acknowledgment that you are one sick pup.... :lmao:

#21 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:56 PM

I'm not sure on the creature - but if the song is King Missile's "Detachable Penis" then you f'in rock!!!
WHO DAT!!!!

#22 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

HAWK - you get the bonus points!!! :wakawaka:

#23 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:05 PM

a muisc question and . . .

and acknowledgment that you are one sick pup....

I don't think there was much doubt. :wakawaka:
WHO DAT!!!!

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

Hawk, there was little doubt! :teeth:

Come on you "suckers" (hint hint hint), put those thinking caps on or at least google for the answer here. I have more creature features to come - I haven't even delved into fish poop yet! We have much more to discover!!!! :)

#25 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

I know it's an octopus - I just don't know which ones.
WHO DAT!!!!

#26 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

Actually there are more than one specific type of octopuses that can do this, so we have a winner folks!! I'd jokingly say weiner, but I did just read your post in the Any last words thread..... :D

And remember folks, we here inthe PNW have the largest of the octopus species...my aren't those big suckers you have... :P
Posted Image

Creature Feature 7 will be on its way! Will it be so ludicrous it gets dive_girl censored!!? Stay tuned....

#27 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:49 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 7

Name this sea creature (aka who's up for a milkshake!!??):

Using its radula, this sea creature drills into its prey and injects digestive enzymes to soften it all up. When ready, this sea creature simply sucks out the "innerds milkshake" leaving it's prey's empty outside behind...(suddenly protein shakes don't sound so appealing...Posted Image)

#28 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:03 PM

I am going to guess the Lewis Moon Snail.. One of my favorite creatures...
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#29 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:04 PM

And a quickie from GG!!! :D It is the Lewis' Moon Snail!

CREATURE FEATURE 8

Name this sea creature (aka so you like the feel of "sand" between your toes do ya!?):

This sea creature likes to eat tiny coral polyps. To get to polyps it has to consume lots of coral "skeleton," but it can't digest all the ground-up skeleton. So the skeleton passes through its digestive system to be excreted as "poop," or what we usually call "sand." That’s right, some of the sand you walk on came out of the back end of this sea creature. One of these sea creatures can produce hundreds of pounds of sand during its lifetime. (and let's not even talk about those moments where sand went into "places it shouldn't have"… :P )

#30 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

We've been walking on parrot fish poop.
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users