• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

'Deal Breakers' in a Relationship

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

* Hmmm... another interesting thread topic perhaps -- Deal Breakers! :D

Hey, I'm good at those! :lmao:

Having survived several train wrecks (not literal ones, figurative ones) in the past, I'm not so sure about the whole concept of "soulmates"; there have been a few that I've felt that instant click with, but just weren't able to build a relationship for the long haul. I should mention that most of my relationships tend to develop rapidly, burn intensely, then end spectacularly in showers of sparks and flames; I don't believe in doing anything halfway. :o Must be the Scots-Irish ancestry. :taz: I'm not suggesting that I have bad judgement; I just haven't actually used it very often with relationships. I frequently know when something isn't going to work, but forge on at flank speed anyway. I guess I'm just hard-headed that way (and that's definately due to the Scots-Irish lineage!).

I only have a few hard-and-fast "dealbreakers" that I look for:

1. Lack of intellect: not expecting a genius, mind you, but nothing is more irritating to me than trying to discuss current events, history, or culture with someone who responds with blank stares, inappropriate giggling, or any sort of drool. Glazed eyeballs are a big "keep away" sign for me.

2. Lack of ambition: if she wants to find someone to marry so she can sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day, she's outta luck with me. She doesn't have to be a world traveler or a mega-successful businesswoman (although I'm not too proud to marry money :P ), but I would like to see her setting the bar a little higher than head waitress at the Waffle House.

3. Incompatible sense of humor: I have an often dry, often obtuse sense of humor than not everyone gets. If the names Douglas Adams or John Cleese don't ring any bells, she gets the big blowoff. It just wouldn't work.

4. Being a manipulative, dishonest, or game-playing...er, you get the point: just not gonna happen. I have neither the time nor the patience to put up with the drama. See ya!

5. Severe indecision: not talking about the occasional "Oh, heck, let's just pick a place to eat", I'm talking about not knowing what she wants out of the relationship and putting all the big decisions on me. Hey, I'm looking for a partner, not a submissive "Yes, dear" type. If she doesn't contribute to charting the course, she gets thrown off the boat. Not with my scuba gear, either. :teeth:

6. Lack of communication: c'mon, lady. Ya gotta tell me what you think or what you want; I failed the mind reading course miserably. And by the way: I'm a guy. Subtle hints don't work on me. You have to make them big and obvious if I'm going to catch on.

7. Dislike of cats: no, really. I'm a cat person, always have been, always will be. If I have to choose between Peanut (my current kitty) and her, well, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to feed Peanut. I'm keeping the cat.

Other than that, most everything else can be either solved or accommodated.

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#2 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

Why, Mr. Holley, I do believe you just started your very first thread in the Singles forum! :teeth:

Now for some kind soul to come along and break it off as such. :lmao:

#3 mongoose

mongoose

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Training Assistant
  • Logged Dives:110

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:00 AM

-- Cigarette smoking. Can't stand the stuff.
Kerry Thomas

My opinions, philosophy, and outlook on life are mine and, as such, are only a perfect fit for me.

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:26 AM

Inability to hold alcohol consumption to a reasonable level that avoids sloppy, out-of-control intoxication. (Usually, she's also in denial about this.)

Bi-polar Disorder. I am amazed how many women I have met who are being treated for this condition and are on permanent chemical maintenance for it. Trouble is, experience has shown me that the meds usually start losing potency over time and must be periodically adjusted by her doctor to remain effective; you'll learn this when she starts having 'episodes' of highs and lows for no apparent reason. In one case, the Voices came back--with a vengeance.

Illicit drug use of any kind. I don't care if she thinks the law is stupid/unconstitutional/unenforceable; it's on the books and can get you jailed--and me right along with you if I'm around. Pass.

Attempting to 'convert' or 'save' me (you know what I mean). Whatever my beliefs are or are not, they are mine and are a fit for me and the way I live my life. Presumably the way I live my life is one of the things that attracted her to me, so why try and change that?

Platypusman
...I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own.

#5 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

* Hmmm... another interesting thread topic perhaps -- Deal Breakers! :birthday:

Hey, I'm good at those! :unsure:

Having survived several train wrecks (not literal ones, figurative ones) in the past, I'm not so sure about the whole concept of "soulmates"; there have been a few that I've felt that instant click with, but just weren't able to build a relationship for the long haul. I should mention that most of my relationships tend to develop rapidly, burn intensely, then end spectacularly in showers of sparks and flames; I don't believe in doing anything halfway. :birthday: Must be the Scots-Irish ancestry. :birthday: I'm not suggesting that I have bad judgement; I just haven't actually used it very often with relationships. I frequently know when something isn't going to work, but forge on at flank speed anyway. I guess I'm just hard-headed that way (and that's definately due to the Scots-Irish lineage!).

I only have a few hard-and-fast "dealbreakers" that I look for:

1. Lack of intellect: not expecting a genius, mind you, but nothing is more irritating to me than trying to discuss current events, history, or culture with someone who responds with blank stares, inappropriate giggling, or any sort of drool. Glazed eyeballs are a big "keep away" sign for me.

2. Lack of ambition: if she wants to find someone to marry so she can sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day, she's outta luck with me. She doesn't have to be a world traveler or a mega-successful businesswoman (although I'm not too proud to marry money :birthday: ), but I would like to see her setting the bar a little higher than head waitress at the Waffle House.

3. Incompatible sense of humor: I have an often dry, often obtuse sense of humor than not everyone gets. If the names Douglas Adams or John Cleese don't ring any bells, she gets the big blowoff. It just wouldn't work.

4. Being a manipulative, dishonest, or game-playing...er, you get the point: just not gonna happen. I have neither the time nor the patience to put up with the drama. See ya!

5. Severe indecision: not talking about the occasional "Oh, heck, let's just pick a place to eat", I'm talking about not knowing what she wants out of the relationship and putting all the big decisions on me. Hey, I'm looking for a partner, not a submissive "Yes, dear" type. If she doesn't contribute to charting the course, she gets thrown off the boat. Not with my scuba gear, either. :thankyou:

6. Lack of communication: c'mon, lady. Ya gotta tell me what you think or what you want; I failed the mind reading course miserably. And by the way: I'm a guy. Subtle hints don't work on me. You have to make them big and obvious if I'm going to catch on.

7. Dislike of cats: no, really. I'm a cat person, always have been, always will be. If I have to choose between Peanut (my current kitty) and her, well, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to feed Peanut. I'm keeping the cat.

Other than that, most everything else can be either solved or accommodated.

Cheers!

Jim

These sound good to me. Plus some of the stuff the others mentioned, like smoking and alcoholism. Anyone too religious is someone I'm not likely to have a long term relationship. Also, if the guy is lousy in bed and doesn't want to change his technique. :birthday:

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:05 AM

Most of them have been posted.

I can tell a story though. After I started dating Donna in college, she began to smoke again (she had smoked in high school). I stopped asking her out. One day she caught me after a class and asked if we were going to go out again. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Call me when you quit smoking."

About a week later she told me she had quit and I immediately asked her to go somewhere that Saturday. We've been together since then (1977) and would not have been had she kept smoking.

Ladys, this may sound very chauvanistic, but here goes anyway. When you light up, you lose 10 points. By the way, men only have a 10 point scale. We can't count much higher than that anyway. I suppose men lose 100 points on a woman's 100 point scale. Fine with me.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:34 AM

Smoking, drug use, tattoos, piercings (I can handle ears, although I don't care for even that), low intelligence, and a clingy personality come immediately to mind as major turn offs. Yes, I'm aware a couple of them are shallow.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

Smoking, drug use, tattoos, piercings (I can handle ears, although I don't care for even that), low intelligence, and a clingy personality come immediately to mind as major turn offs. Yes, I'm aware a couple of them are shallow.

I don't think you're being shallow at all...these are your preferences

#9 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:26 AM

My Deal Breakers:
1) If she smokes
2) If she uses drugs
3) If she's an alcoholic
4) If she's an extremely jealous person or very insecure. I have lots of female friends so in my experience people with the extremely jealous/insecure attitudes can't handle it.
5) If she lacks common sense (this is not to be confused with intelligence)
6) If she's not the brightest crayon in the box. She doesn't have to have a PHD, but at least be able to carry on an intelligent conversation.
7) She doesn't have to be interested in everything I am, but at least understand my interests and don't try to prevent me from doing them.
8) If we have Incompatible senses of humor
9) If she can't interract with my friends. I'm not saying she has to hang out with them all the time, but be able to view them (or at least a good amount of them) as her friends too. Afterall they've been around much longer than she has and aren't going anywhere.
10) If she's financially irresponsible. Doesn't have to be a sugar mamma (that'd be cool though), but know how to handle your money
11) If we're incompatible in the bedroom.

#10 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

Ignorance
Irrationalism
Religion
Intolerance
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#11 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

i agree with all of jim's (even to the humor references - have you read jasper fforde? if you like adams, you might like him), and the religious one. have to disagree with some of walter's though, as i resemble those remarks! :lmao:

but right now, honestly, the deal breaker is wanting more out of the relationship than i do, which is very little. that is subject to change, but i'm currently very happy not being part of a couplet and willing to drop those who push me. marriage will cure a desire to be in a couple for a long long time in my experience.

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm... did my post get deleted or just disappear in cyberspace?

Deal stoppers... maybe none at this point! I'm desperate(ly seeking).

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hmmm... did my post get deleted or just disappear in cyberspace?

Deal stoppers... maybe none at this point! I'm desperate(ly seeking).

Neither! Your list of deal breakers and shallow stoppers can be found HERE.

:usflag:

#14 sniperdiver

sniperdiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

hmmmmmmmmm..... a lot of the above, some I could work with :usflag:

Is dating a bi-polar chick like having TWO girlfriends? :teeth:
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet!

#15 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:43 PM

I think that some of these deal breakers make a relationship more fun. I dated a bi-polar manic depressive for two years. Talk about a roller coaster ride. But then again, I am not looking to get married anytime soon.(Sorry Dad). I love my single life. My deal breakers would be lack of good conversation, and spark. If I can't talk to you, then there is no point. No spark should be self explanatory. Other than that I'm just in it for fun.
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users