• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: Turks & Caicos...The Jewel of the Caribbean

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#391 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

Here is what i found for Cingular (my carrier selfish I know) I have international dialing but not sure if these rates are different...

http://onlinestorez....DL=796&MNC=CING
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#392 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

Here is what i found for Cingular (my carrier selfish I know) I have international dialing but not sure if these rates are different...

Thanks Ari. I'm Cingular also. Hopefully we'll have coverage on the boat. All the maps show the islands but they don't show how far out in the water they go. We'll just wait and see :D

mandi

#393 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:31 AM

ok so next week at this time we'll be broading the boat. I hope I don't forget anything. Not all packed yet but I think I have it all layed out. Now is it all going to fit and still be under wieght. Is anyone bringing any movies?

Barry, I am going to attach an XL spreadsheet that I use as a checklist for dive trips. Also, I will be on Spirit from Ft Lauderdle to Provo, so give me a call in FtLauderdale on Saturday morning. Cell is 561-445-8898.
The checklist is for my personal stuff, but you can use it as a guide and make any changes you like to personalize it for yourself.
Thanks and hope it helps.
Larry
Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#394 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:35 AM

ok so next week at this time we'll be broading the boat. I hope I don't forget anything. Not all packed yet but I think I have it all layed out. Now is it all going to fit and still be under wieght. Is anyone bringing any movies?

Barry, I am going to attach an XL spreadsheet that I use as a checklist for dive trips. Also, I will be on Spirit from Ft Lauderdle to Provo, so give me a call in FtLauderdale on Saturday morning. Cell is 561-445-8898.
The checklist is for my personal stuff, but you can use it as a guide and make any changes you like to personalize it for yourself.
Larry

Barry, I don't think the attachment worked,
Later,
Larry
Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#395 landlocked

landlocked

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

Larry

Later,
Larry

Hey, Larry, can you copy and paste the text? I wouldn't mind seeing your list as well.

thx - see you soon!! :teeth:

#396 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:05 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you get two (2) checked bags at a maximum of 50lbs each and (1) carry on up to 15lbs. So you could carry 115lbs and stay within the economy class limits. However that said, I’m sticking to (1) checked bag and (1) carry-on. Leaving my heavier wetsuit at home and only taking a 3mil shorty and my big D-4 flashlight is not making the trip. Looks like the water temperature is going to be about 80F, so fine for a shorty.

I’m really economising my personal cloths this time…for example everytime I have been on a liveaboard my shoes come off on boarding and bare feet the rest of the week. So only taking the shoes I wear to the boat. Who needs more then two swimsuits, two shorts, 5 T-shirts, 1 pair of jeans (wear) and toiletries. Socks..no more then two pairs and underwear. (your personal perference……hey they don’t take up much room)

Just went by the party store and picked up some light sticks for the night dives.

Yes you get 2 bags at 50lbs each. I just got back from the Florida OceanFest about an hour ago and I had taken my dive gear in case I could dive a day. I took all my gear including exposure suits in one suitcase sans the regs, computer and mask and drysuit which I handcarry. I then packed all my personal clothes, tradeshow clothes, flaxseed and grinder etc in the second bag and each bag weighed 50 lbs on the money. As a girl its official that I overpack so you GUYS have nothing to worry about. Besides I usually bring things extra like t-shirst for you all etc. On the trip back I still had the same stuff in my suitcases but I had all the tradeshow materials that I had in my small backpack aka personal item. They NEVER weigh your carry on so put the heavy stuff in it.

You all will be fine with your luggage...this is NOT Fiji Fiji Fiji where we got a total of 50# checked and 10# carry on TOTAL per person. Also I am using my new steel backplate 5# and wing/harness another 5# so now my entire bc weighs 10# where my old one weighed 16#. If you use the composite backplate the entire setup weights 6# and it folds up very compactly making a wonderful travel bc. You all can check it out on the trip if you haven't seen it already! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#397 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

better just hush up I'm one of the newbees on the trip

Nope...you need to jump right in and make yourself at home! That is how we do it here! Good to have you on the trip and I love your playful attitude!!! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#398 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Ari. I'm Cingular also. Hopefully we'll have coverage on the boat. All the maps show the islands but they don't show how far out in the water they go. We'll just wait and see :lmao:

mandi

I will have my blackberry as well so depending on coverage we maybe able to have both voice and data access from the boat.....

Scott

:teeth:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#399 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

Oh, thanks Sandy, I was looking for that too. Now, has anyone been able to figure out what GSM phone coverage is available? I looked at the world gsm map and it's pretty vague. I think I read that it's GSM 850. I would think if the boat uses a cell they must stay in coverage area? I guess we'll just have to find out next weekend :lmao:

mandi

If it's like other places around the world, marine coverage only goes out about 25 miles or less. I think they were talking about when the boat's docked in Provo, unless they have better marine coverage than most places...
You're right, only GSM 850 is available there.

I checked with T-Mobile, and they have a roaming agreement for both voice and data out there, same caveat (probably won't work at sea). Here's the link for T-Mo customers:
http://www.t-mobile....&opts=0&cid=169
data looks like 1.5cents per kilobyte for data, so don't do any heavy surfing! Just logging into SD is around 80K, checking mail even more... voice is showing $1.49 per minute, and you may have to add that to the data charge if doing GPRS (dunno for sure, rules vary)

Here's the homepage for Cable & Wireless West Indies:
http://www.cw.tc/

and the link to get Internet access (needed with a GPRS connection???)
http://www.cw.tc/cnt.php?typ=main&c=27

'Course, nowhere on their website do they show a GSM or GPRS coverage map. :teeth:

#400 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox,AOW
  • Logged Dives:103

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

I thought these trips were to get away form work? this is the one time I don't think work well be able to get ahold of me, thats puts a smile on my face. I don't think I have taken a vacation yet in which work has not called to find out something or get some help.

I know we all love are families and want to be informed of things, but we well be out of the country and out to sea. Just my thoughts.

#401 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

I thought these trips were to get away form work? this is the one time I don't think work well be able to get ahold of me, thats puts a smile on my face. I don't think I have taken a vacation yet in which work has not called to find out something or get some help.

I know we all love are families and want to be informed of things, but we well be out of the country and out to sea. Just my thoughts.

Oh trust me... I will NOT be checking email when I am down there. It's mostly so my parents can reach me in case of emergency....

Scott

:teeth:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#402 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Larry

Later,
Larry

Hey, Larry, can you copy and paste the text? I wouldn't mind seeing your list as well.

thx - see you soon!! :cool1:

WE will see if it works.
Clothes Miscellaneous Dive Gear Video/Digital

Shorts Passport/Tickets Masks Panasonic DV
T'Shirts Check/Money Fins Sony A1U
Skivvies Lights Snorkel Housing
Socks Towels Dive Computers Chargers
Hats Douche Bag Regulator Cables
Wool Hat Vitamins Weight Belt Tapes DV
Long Pants Medicine Hood Surge Protect
Heavy Shirt 1st Aid Kit WetSuit 3mm Converter
Shoes Books WetSuit 5mm Plastic Bin
Belts Glasses (Sun) Socks L&M Batteries
Hankies CD/CD's/Batt's Booties Pelican Box
Swimsuits Dirty Clothes Bag Ear Beer/NH3 Olympus D595
Bandanas Cup/Bowl Skins 2AA Batts
Foul Weather Jct Body Wash Spare Air
Deck Shoes Shampoo Sausage L&M Chrgr
Mask(s) Whistle Sony Charger
Sunscreen Spare hoses Panasonic Chgr
A/L Tickets BC Watch Chgr
Insect Repellant Lights
Plastic Bags Slate Mirror
Bungee Cords Knife Strobe
Earplugs C-Card(s) Lock
Pillow Dive Bag Dry Bag
Instruction Books Gloves
Fabreze Mesh Bag
Business Cards Shorty

TurnOff Paper
A/C Mail
Ice maker Barbage
Washer Hoses

It worked sort of,
All columns should be aligned and on the spreadsheet, I have columns to check off as they are added.
Larry
Larry T, the Orcaman!

#403 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

Oh trust me... I will NOT be checking email when I am down there. It's mostly so my parents can reach me in case of emergency....

Scott

:cool1:

When I took this trip last year, on this boat, cell phones generally didnt work but my good friend on board was a new mom and called home daily to check on her daughter. The boat has working communication which you can call out from anytime..for a fee of course, but we are never unable to be reached by family in an emergency.. In fact a couple of others called home daily to check on children so you can be found...if you want to be :diver:

Karen

#404 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Larry

Later,
Larry

thx - see you soon!! :cool1:

WE will see if it works.
Clothes Miscellaneous Dive Gear Video/Digital

Shorts Passport/Tickets Masks Panasonic DV
T'Shirts Check/Money Fins Sony A1U
Skivvies Lights Snorkel Housing
Socks Towels Dive Computers Chargers
Hats Douche Bag Regulator Cables
Wool Hat Vitamins Weight Belt Tapes DV
Long Pants Medicine Hood Surge Protect
Heavy Shirt 1st Aid Kit WetSuit 3mm Converter
Shoes Books WetSuit 5mm Plastic Bin
Belts Glasses (Sun) Socks L&M Batteries
Hankies CD/CD's/Batt's Booties Pelican Box
Swimsuits Dirty Clothes Bag Ear Beer/NH3 Olympus D595
Bandanas Cup/Bowl Skins 2AA Batts
Foul Weather Jct Body Wash Spare Air
Deck Shoes Shampoo Sausage L&M Chrgr
Mask(s) Whistle Sony Charger
Sunscreen Spare hoses Panasonic Chgr
A/L Tickets BC Watch Chgr
Insect Repellant Lights
Plastic Bags Slate Mirror
Bungee Cords Knife Strobe
Earplugs C-Card(s) Lock
Pillow Dive Bag Dry Bag
Instruction Books Gloves
Fabreze Mesh Bag
Business Cards Shorty

TurnOff Paper
A/C Mail
Ice maker Barbage
Washer Hoses

It worked sort of,
All columns should be aligned and on the spreadsheet, I have columns to check off as they are added.
Larry

hmmm..........I dont see the chocolate!

:diver:

#405 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

I agree and I love to totally disconnect but this is something that you have to get used to when you travel with Mandy.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users