• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: Turks & Caicos...The Jewel of the Caribbean

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#406 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:01 PM

I thought these trips were to get away form work? this is the one time I don't think work well be able to get ahold of me, thats puts a smile on my face. I don't think I have taken a vacation yet in which work has not called to find out something or get some help.

I know we all love are families and want to be informed of things, but we well be out of the country and out to sea. Just my thoughts.

I agree and I love to totally disconnect but this is something that you have to get used to when you travel with Mandy.

:P just accept it and go on :D

I must always remember why it is that I can go :diver: . And I find it much easier to keep up with things than trying to return to 1500 emails - :cool1: ... and there's mom, she likes to keep up with me too.

If you've never met me you'll understand the term crackberry once you do. :P

See you in ..... 5 days

BTW - thanks Larry for the list, and Ari, Stan and Scott for the Cingular info. I will have my berry, laptop and edge card if we do get coverage. If not, well, it'll just be a very long Monday when I get back.

mandi

Edited by landlocked, 24 April 2006 - 08:01 PM.

#407 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

Mandi,

I hear ya about having 1500 emails when you return. The one thing I don't like about my crackberry is that even if I file it on the crackberry my email system doesn't sync up with it (maybe it's lotus notes) :cheerleader: . Either way I still have re-organize my emails when I do get home. At least if I do check emails on a trip I won't have anything unexpected when I get there... which is a big plus.

I just finished packing the majority of my stuff. Just a couple things (like Sandy's candy) to throw into my backpack on Friday. :cool1:

Scott

:diver:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#408 H20 Bug

H20 Bug

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveControlSpecial Cert
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:41 PM

Is the Satellite contact number for the boat available? In the first post it says TBA.

BUG - I pulled this from their site

COMMUNICATIONS
You can be reached aboard the Turks &
Caicos Explorer II from North America via
satellite phone at +1.787.990.6124.
When calling from Provo, it is easiest to
call the cell phone at +1.649.242.8267.
Outgoing calls may also be made. Please
be aware that a charge is assessed
for both incoming and outgoing calls

Thanks Sandy, I must have been going to fast, I couldn't find it on the website. I'm not leaving it with work, but I've got to leave it with family. :diver:

Packed except for my dive gear - picking it up from servicing on Wednesday. I don't think I can be trusted to carry chocolate. Sandy would you like another one of the power bars that you were desperate enough to eat in Fiji :cool1: Love the Bug!

See everyone Saturday. :cheerleader:
Any time spent in, on, around or underwater adds days to your life.

#409 waterphoto

waterphoto

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

I just spent the entire evening looking for my passport and panicking. I just found it in the purse I took to Mexico last September.

Now I'm panicking because I still have to pack everything on my checklist (see attached) and I have to be in San Francisco for the next two days for business, so I won't be home.

Friday can not come soon enough--I need some peace!

Attached Files

#410 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

I just spent the entire evening looking for my passport and panicking. I just found it in the purse I took to Mexico last September.

Now I'm panicking because I still have to pack everything on my checklist (see attached) and I have to be in San Francisco for the next two days for business, so I won't be home.

I will end up packing Friday night...or is that VERY early on Saturday morning???? :cool1:

But its all good...I minimize wrinkles this way! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#411 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

I will end up packing Friday night...or is that VERY early on Saturday morning???? :cool1:

Hey WW, it is Larry, just thinking about something.
Wondering how many of this group have done open water diving? Some things they might consider are definitely a snorkel, a sausage, light, and other things.
I have been on 3 lost diver boats, 1 had a heart attack and died on the end of the tag line. The other two were swept away in open water, luckily both survived. I have some pretty good knowledge about the subject and if you would like for me to give a 30-45 minute safety seminar on it I would be glad to do it. With audience participation, and the more the better.
And the sooner in the trip the better.
What do you think? I do not consider myself to be an expert, just someone with a lot of experience that I would be glad to share.
Later,
The orcaman of "OrcamanTales"
Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#412 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hey WW, it is Larry, just thinking about something.
Wondering how many of this group have done open water diving? Some things they might consider are definitely a snorkel, a sausage, light, and other things.
I have been on 3 lost diver boats, 1 had a heart attack and died on the end of the tag line. The other two were swept away in open water, luckily both survived. I have some pretty good knowledge about the subject and if you would like for me to give a 30-45 minute safety seminar on it I would be glad to do it. With audience participation, and the more the better.
And the sooner in the trip the better.
What do you think? I do not consider myself to be an expert, just someone with a lot of experience that I would be glad to share.
Later,
The orcaman of "OrcamanTales"

Great point Larry. I was just thinking about reminding everyone to check out the requirements of Explorer Ventures. And if you've not done a liveaboard some of the things to think about (extra equipment, etc). There's no dive shop around so if you forget something you can't just run down the street to get it. I don't recall seeing a listing of what explorer venture requires, but some of the things I remember : 2 lights + tank marker for night dives; computer and suggested backup; safety sausage. That's all I can remember but I suspect they have a list somewhere.

mandi

#413 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

I found the link here:

What to bring to T&C

#414 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

If anyone is new to ocean or open water diving please let me know. Kim and I will be happy to dive with you to help you get acquainted to this wonderful aspect of our sport! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#415 Searanger

Searanger

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Board Status:0
  • Cert Level:O/W
  • Logged Dives:170

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Gee Larry you bring up repressed memories of being swept away from the boat and it getting smaller and smaller! Obviously a safety sausage is a good thing. I also went out and brought some light sticks for the night dives. Certainly common sense should prevail whenever diving in open water.

#416 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

I agree with Mandi and Larry

Please remember to bring as much redundency as possible. I will be bringing 2 regs, some tools, o-rings, 2 extra power inflators, some extra hoses, an extra mask, etc; when we're out diving is not the time to discover that your regs are messed up!

also, our trip last year with Explorer Ventures, if you didn't have a safety sausage, they had a gizmo you could dive with for the week

and, as WW has said, she or I will dive with anyone who needs us to...this is navigation diving!! As long as you know which way the boat is, you're ok!

#417 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

and, as WW has said, she or I will dive with anyone who needs us to...this is navigation diving!! As long as you know which way the boat is, you're ok!

I prefer to know which way to the mooring/anchor line, since the boat can move. :birthday: But with the 75 to 200 ft vis we will be having it shouldn't be a problem. The currents are not supposed to change which makes things much easier.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#418 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox,AOW
  • Logged Dives:103

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

This is my first time in the ocean, I have a computer, safty sausage, lights, dive gear. anything else I need to bring that I would not need for lets say just a lake dive?

#419 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

I prefer to know which way to the mooring/anchor line, since the boat can move. :birthday: But with the 75 to 200 ft vis we will be having it shouldn't be a problem. The currents are not supposed to change which makes things much easier.

Jill, you're right!

I take a reference heading when I get in so I know what to navigate back to; that way, I don't get lost and "miss the boat!"

#420 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

This is my first time in the ocean, I have a computer, safty sausage, lights, dive gear. anything else I need to bring that I would not need for lets say just a lake dive?

Do you have a compass? And do you have a reel/spool for your safety sausage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users