• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: July 4th Fireworks on History...NC Wrecks

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#121 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:31 AM

I usually dive my 3mm with no problems...but tomorow I'll look through my log book and throw out some temps.

So Vinny are you officially on the trip? It is starting to fill and I need to know if your check is in the mail? I certainly hope so! You always add so much life to a trip! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#122 scubabjs

scubabjs

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

I have a set of HP100's that I may reserve for the U-352. I don't have a wetsuit thick enough for that type of diving anymore, so my drysuit will have to suffice :teeth:.

Speaking of wetsuits, I know I have asked this before, but what is recommended for July diving. I am hoping to get away with my 3 mil, with a hoodie and booties instead of diving dry. I would like to enjoy wetsuit diving since I dive dry year-around up here.

What are everyone's suggestions. My 3 mil is a ScubaPro Barrier Steamer.

I dove last time in a 1.5m shorty no gloves/boots/hood and was cool (but not cold) at the bottom, but hanging on the line was a getting warm, there was a noticeable thermocline around 40ft most days last Aug. But the cold doesn't really affect me that much, I put off a lot of heat, I have seen women wear 5mm suits when I was in a swimsuit. YMMV.

Bjs
So, if my computer is flashing 212 .. 212 .. 212 does that mean I can't go any deeper?

#123 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

I dove last time in a 1.5m shorty no gloves/boots/hood and was cool (but not cold) at the bottom, but hanging on the line was a getting warm, there was a noticeable thermocline around 40ft most days last Aug. But the cold doesn't really affect me that much, I put off a lot of heat, I have seen women wear 5mm suits when I was in a swimsuit. YMMV.

Bjs

Brian, are you not joining us this time? You always take cool photos. Hey, think about the big Margaritas we had at the Mexican restaurant. That's already a reason to come on this trip. :teeth:

Doris

#124 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

I have a set of HP100's that I may reserve for the U-352. I don't have a wetsuit thick enough for that type of diving anymore, so my drysuit will have to suffice :teeth:.

Speaking of wetsuits, I know I have asked this before, but what is recommended for July diving. I am hoping to get away with my 3 mil, with a hoodie and booties instead of diving dry. I would like to enjoy wetsuit diving since I dive dry year-around up here.

Nicolle, I get cold easy, but I wore my 3mm suit and was just a little cold on the bottom, but got used to it. I will wear my 3mm again and might pack my 7mm just in case.
Doris

#125 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

I'm a wimp, so I dove a full 5-mil with a 3-mil shortie on underneath, beanie but no gloves. It was just about right for me. I recorded bottom temps of 71 to 73 on all the dives last July 4th. YMMV as the current out there isn't a constant, it loops and whirls as it goes up the coast. I got several 'hot flashes' on some of the dives as threads of the warmer stuff washed over us. We were right on the hairy edge of the 80+ degree current, last year.

DO follow the instructions about holding on the chain and 'Carolina Rig' as you ascend/descend. I got sloppy on our next-to-last dive 'cos we hadn't had any current, and just about got a joy ride. Whoops! It went from nuthin' to around 3 knots, in just a few seconds.

#126 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

for the number and duration of the dives, you should be fine in a 3mm
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#127 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:41 PM

Speaking of wetsuits . . . .,

I'm a wimp, so I dove a full 5-mil with a 3-mil shortie on underneath, beanie but no gloves.

I'm even more of a wimp. So, I'll be diving dry. :birthday:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#128 scubabjs

scubabjs

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Bjs

Brian, are you not joining us this time? You always take cool photos. Hey, think about the big Margaritas we had at the Mexican restaurant. That's already a reason to come on this trip. :birthday:

Doris

I have asked to get a drive-in quote, I forgot about those Margaritas, they were awesome, perfect for putting you to sleep. I am going to put together a double rig, and this would a good trip to test it out on, I could have used the extra time with the sharks last time.

Bjs
So, if my computer is flashing 212 .. 212 .. 212 does that mean I can't go any deeper?

#129 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

Looks like the last time I dove there the bottom temp was between 73 to 74 degrees...very comfortable in a 3mm. If anything bring a skin for the just in case factor.

#130 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

So I've confirmed this trip with WreckWench - I'm in! Thanks for all the exposure protection adivce. Although I dive in the PNW, we aren't polar bears up here people! :P I actually find I get colder quicker in warm water, but sounds like I should be fine in my 3mm. I'm headed to the Bahamas the month before, so if I get cold there in my 3mm, I'll change up accordingly. If I do dive in the 3mm and there are those drysuit divers around, please note I will be giving sopping wet hugs when your drysuits are half on! :D
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#131 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

great :P

Now all the guys have to go out and buy drysuits... :D
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#132 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:30 PM

please note I will be giving sopping wet hugs when your drysuits are half on! :P

Now, another reason to sign up for the trip and buy a drysuit.

I wish SWMBO was not so narrow-minded!!! :D
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#133 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

So I've confirmed this trip with WreckWench - I'm in! Thanks for all the exposure protection adivce. Although I dive in the PNW, we aren't polar bears up here people! :tears: I actually find I get colder quicker in warm water, but sounds like I should be fine in my 3mm. I'm headed to the Bahamas the month before, so if I get cold there in my 3mm, I'll change up accordingly. If I do dive in the 3mm and there are those drysuit divers around, please note I will be giving sopping wet hugs when your drysuits are half on! :P

Try ice.........or buy larrys cozumel video

#134 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

before warned if you did that you would be keel hulled for that or by barefoot skiing on the way back to port :P

Just a warning

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#135 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

before warned if you did that you would be keel hulled for that or by barefoot skiing on the way back to port :cool1:

Just a warning

Tooth

Tooth,

capnsteve is the reason we have a rule regarding ice in the first place

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users