• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: Oct 6-8 NCSeafood Festival&Artifacts!

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#31 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

Is there a discount for drive-in's providing their own tanks....?

Travelocity dosn't appear to show ANY flight options from FLL for the weekend... and price range is about break-even for gas.

Also - given the recent feedback w/ this particular operator, is a dive - op change occuring...?
"I aim to misbehave...."

#32 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

Just an observation....It seems That the way the dive operator handled the july NC trip has raised lots of questions. I know from reading the posts that the Wench has had back to back trips and is just getting her feet on dry land. I am signed up for the Oct trip and i also have concerns about this operator. I am sure we will be getting a report from Kamala soon. I know from past trips with SD that she is very concerned with the welfare and happiness of those on her trips.
I am going to take the wait and see attitude and hang in for this trip. the diving here is well worth it, and i am sure kamala will get things ironed out.......

#33 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

Kamala, before this trip progresses futher, are you going to get a heads up from Bobby about the profiles we can run? I do like diving the wrecks, but going into the dive with a better idea of the allowable game plan will prevent many of the issues from the 4th.

I have some concerns after reading Roys transcribed post. Based on what he wrote it looks like you can't dive doubles for some reason, but you can dive two single tanks. If you stay within the recreation limits why can't one use double tanks? I mean the only difference is they are banded. Also, you can bring a 40cf 'pony bottle'? Why? Just in case someone runs out of air? Diving a recreational profile should prevent this from happening; if the diver can't plan a dive for his back gas, he should not be diving off shore. This being said, can a diver bring a 40cf bottle with 50% and labled for 70 feet?

We really need to lock this down before people commit, unless they want to ride two hours out for a 15 minute NDL bottom time. Also, can you get it in writing from Bobby so if the profiles are changed people can get a refund. Thanks.

This is directly from Capt. Roy's "Diver Down Update" Dated: 9 July 2006.

"This last weekend was not without a few bumps in the road and not all were caused by the sea but hopefully the majority of us had a good time despite those bumps. I would like to mention a few things about diving aboard the Diver Down before we get to the diving so please bear with me. Diver Down caters primarily to Recreational Divers and the bulk of this operation is geared to supporting that endeavor. We do run the occasional TEC trip but those charters are priced differently and limited to smaller numbers to accommodate the additional gear and profiles that come with TEC dives. We try not to mix the two groups but when TEC Divers join a Recreational Charter we usually give them two options, dive two recreational dives (No deco limits plus 5 minutes) or one TEC dive (one hour total run including deco). All divers are limited to two primary tanks and a small pony bottle (40 CF or less). Each diver is allotted two tank spots on the back deck and an area below the benches for dive bags and pony bottles. There is sufficient space for all 18 divers and two crew on the back deck provided you don’t bring too much stuff. If you dive doubles then we ask that you use one set to do both dives or one long dive, just inform the crew of your wishes. No double doubles or stage bottles unless you have chartered a TEC Charter. There is also sufficient seating inside the cabin for 18 divers, 3 to a bench, provided no one is lying down or has piled gear on the seats. There is additional seating on the sun deck though it is subject to spray on occasion. The pilot house has seating for 3 crewmembers or invited guest. If your gear will not fit in the area provided it might mean that you brought too much stuff. Most of our divers bring two single tanks, a light weight wetsuit, small cameras and recreational gear, i.e. BCD, regulator mask and fins. We do allow scooters and more extravagant camera equipment but don’t usually make special accommodations for them. We have a single 5 gallon bucket to rinse cameras and a spray hose to rinse mask and divers when they come back after a dive. Fresh water is limited so we ask that you not clean gear aboard the boat, hoses and rinse tanks are available at the dock. Spear fishing is allowed but we ask that power heads not be brought aboard and that you respect the other divers by not cocking guns outside the water, not handing a cocked spear gun to the Divemaster especially not spear first and by waiting until after someone shooting pictures is done with a fish before you kill it. We also ask that you not bring back fish that are considered illegal by the NC Wildlife Officers since they have no sense of humor when it comes to these things. If you follow these simple guide lines then you run a very small chance of invoking the ire of the captain or crew and will more than likely contribute to everyone having a fun and safe diving experience. If you have any specific questions or comments then please contact me or Captain Bob before any miss understandings develop."

#34 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

We try not to mix the two groups but when TEC Divers join a Recreational Charter we usually give them two options, dive two recreational dives (No deco limits plus 5 minutes) or one TEC dive (one hour total run including deco).

Hmmmm..... who's tables...?

http://dir-diver.com..._imperial_A.pdf

This meshes up against v-planner w/ a 36 min run-time.
So if I add 5mins bottom time I end up w/ a 45min run-time... certainly alot more reasonable.
"I aim to misbehave...."

#35 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

Vinny,

I read it the same way at first. Roy was trying to say that if you are diving doubles, you are only allowed one set on the Diver Down unless you are paying for a tech trip in which case they will limit the boat to ten and take two sets of doubles. Still, this stuff all needs to be verified, so don't take my word for it :teeth: !
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

Is there a discount for drive-in's providing their own tanks....?

Travelocity dosn't appear to show ANY flight options from FLL for the weekend... and price range is about break-even for gas.

Yes there is a discount. Fills are $12 for Nitrox vs. $18 for rentals. Air is $6 and $10 per tank.

If you have a lot of gear then drive and I'm sure you'll find someone from the Eastern Seaboard who would be happy to help carpool and share gas with you. Otherwise...leave the driving to us and we'll pick you up in RDU and drive you to the coast! Let us know! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

Vinny,

I read it the same way at first. Roy was trying to say that if you are diving doubles, you are only allowed one set on the Diver Down unless you are paying for a tech trip in which case they will limit the boat to ten and take two sets of doubles. Still, this stuff all needs to be verified, so don't take my word for it :lmao: !

You are exactly correct Brian. One set of doubles = 2 single bottles.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:44 PM

Trip Update:

This trip will still run with the same dates as originally scheduled. Due to unforeseen circumstances, immediate changes for future trips to NC have gone into effect. With respect to the October trip, we have made arrangements with a different dive boat and boat captain for our Seafood Festival Trip. We'll be using the Mutiny and this trip will be proceeding as planned. Also, due to the unexpected approach toward the light technical divers we received, October’s NC trip will accommodate recreational divers only. In regards to future trips with SD where the opportunity allows for the commingling of technical and recreational divers, a different set of booking and information protocols will be followed.

formerly...

#39 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

Trip Update:

This trip will still run with the same dates as originally scheduled. Due to unforeseen circumstances, immediate changes for future trips to NC have gone into effect. With respect to the October trip, we have made arrangements with a different dive boat and boat captain for our Seafood Festival Trip. We'll be using the Mutiny and this trip will be proceeding as planned. Also, due to the unexpected approach toward the light technical divers we received, October’s NC trip will accommodate recreational divers only. In regards to future trips with SD where the opportunity allows for the commingling of technical and recreational divers, a different set of booking and information protocols will be followed.

Kamala,

I'm in - I'll have a check off tomorrow from my bank for the entirety.

I'll be driving up from Ft. Lauderdale and hauling all my own tanks - if anyone else is along the route and wants to split some gas money - I'm game. I can stick to recreational profiles - due to the depth in the area I'll be using doubles for some dives, and maybe slinging a 40 of 50% for safety purposes.

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#40 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

Kamala,

I'll be driving up from Ft. Lauderdale and hauling all my own tanks - if anyone else is along the route and wants to split some gas money - I'm game. I can stick to recreational profiles - due to the depth in the area I'll be using doubles for some dives, and maybe slinging a 40 of 50% for safety purposes.

-Tim

Excellent!

I'll add you to the 'checks in the mail' list!

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:08 AM

Kamala,

-Tim

That is great news! Technically if you sling a 50% bottle you are falling into the 'tech lite' category. If you sling a bottle of the same gas as your backgas i.e. 30% in this area, then you are still in recreational realm. This should not be an issue with the new boat operator but be aware that it can come into play as it is more tech lite. Also be aware that you'll have to go to another dive shop for fills over 30%. -ww

formerly...

#42 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

I have just resubmitted my credit card authorization form.

I will be diving Nitrox 100's.

Please move me to the paid spot list so I know that you have received my form and that everything is okay with it.

Keith :cool2:

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

I have just resubmitted my credit card authorization form.

I will be diving Nitrox 100's.

Please move me to the paid spot list so I know that you have received my form and that everything is okay with it.

Keith :cool2:

Payment Update:

Got your form! Thanks for always remembering the 3% processing fee and for resubmitting the form since we are having trouble with our Discovery Card processing abilities.

formerly...

#44 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

Payment Update:

Got your form! Thanks for always remembering the 3% processing fee and for resubmitting the form since we are having trouble with our Discovery Card processing abilities.

Thank You for the very quick response. Have a great time in Holbox, see you in NC!

Keith

[MOD update: DONE... :cool2:

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#45 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

It looks like I may have to opt out of this dive; but I will likely be in the area diving with Olympus during this time frame and will probably stop by to say hello.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users