• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Soulmates Poll

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: If you were single and found your "soulmate", would you move to be with him/her even if you had to move cross country or to a new one? (86 member(s) have cast votes)

If you were single and found your "soulmate", would you move to be with him/her even if you had to move cross country or to a new one?

1. Hell yes! (42 votes [48.84%])

Percentage of vote: 48.84%

2. No way. (5 votes [5.81%])

Percentage of vote: 5.81%

3. I really can't say. (13 votes [15.12%])

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

4. This is a hypothetical question that could never happen. (4 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

5. I need more information in order to vote. (22 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

What I find especially interesting about this thread is the fact that (so far) 3 people have voted "This is a hypothetical question that could never happen."

Why couldn't it happen, I wonder? :welcome:

Because people who think that it could never happen don't have the capacity within them to love like that. They can't find it within themselves, so it must be fictional.
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#17 EdmDiver

EdmDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Does failing DIRF count? <- Old News. Passed Now
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

What I find especially interesting about this thread is the fact that (so far) 3 people have voted "This is a hypothetical question that could never happen."

First, you would have to believe in the "Soul Mates" concept.

#18 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:16 PM

First, you would have to believe in the "Soul Mates" concept.

I see. That's not how I interpreted the *hypothetical* people though.

While I'm undecided as to whether I believe in a soul mate for me, I voted based on the information provided ... Wes believes he has found his soul mate.

#19 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:10 PM

Sigh, the only "sole mate" I can find is my other shoe!

Edited by drbill, 31 October 2005 - 10:11 PM.

#20 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:43 AM

WOW!!! :-D What a lot of replies.

You're already someplace cold, you wouldn't move to another cold place?

If you are referring to me Walter I live in Western Australia where the temperature rarely gets below 0°C (32°F) and can often be over 40°C (~104°F) Not quite the -28°C I experienced in Canada. :o

I don't think financial concerns should keep two people apart. A car loan? You can pay that off from Canada. Getting a job? Have you looked into applying for landed immigrant status? (A classmate of mine had a boyfriend who was able to emigrate from France even though he was *just* a carpenter.)

I'll look into that Annasea. Thanks sweetie.

Would you not consider marriage? (I'm not a believer in marriage, nor am I a mooch, but if I had to compromise one or the other in order to be with the person I truly loved, I'd marry. As well, once you're married you're eventually entitled to work. Mooch problem solved! biggrin.gif)

We already have discussed it, I got down on bended knee, proposed and she said YES. Then she decided family came first (elderly parents and it's not exactly a quick drive across town to see them. LOL) and things have been on a hiatus since then.

I voted, "Hell, yes!" but don't go by me. I'd give up everything in my life (including my life) for the taste of one woman's lips.

I assume you know who that one woman is? I hope you get to be with her. :-)

While I'm undecided as to whether I believe in a soul mate for me, I voted based on the information provided ... Wes believes he has found his soul mate.

Not believe Annasea... KNOW. :wub:

Sigh, the only "sole mate" I can find is my other shoe!

Is this the one that lives on the sea floor and can taste good with chips?
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#21 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:31 AM

I did this. Although I had no intention of staying in Southern Louisiana, a condition of our marriage was that I moved to Melbourne, FL where she had her job offer from Collins Avionics. I went.

Edited by Dennis, 01 November 2005 - 11:54 AM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#22 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:57 AM

I moved from Montgomery, AL to Martinsburg, WV for my wife.

However, I moved a lot as a kid, and went to college 1400 miles from 'home' (which actually changed while I was in college). So the idea of moving is no big deal for me. Other than packing up all the 'stuff'.

-Warthog, Nebraska native, MN, FL, AL, & WV transplant :o

#23 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 01 November 2005 - 08:29 AM

I voted, "Hell, yes!" but don't go by me. I'd give up everything in my life (including my life) for the taste of one woman's lips.

Yeah, I know who that woman is. She's on the board.

Okay, so if you left Merredin, you'd be missing out on the wheat belt, a granite rock, a railroad water tower and a grain transfer terminal. Dude, just move anywhere else anyway! :o

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#24 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

If you really love her that much, IMO geographical barriers should be no obstacle!

#25 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:45 AM

Decades ago I had a similar experience. My high school sweetheart and I considered marriage after we graduated from college. By that time I had moved to Catalina and she was in Colorado.

She came out to Catalina the summer after my first year working here. I wanted her to see the island, which I consider an incredible place. She decided there was no way she could live here, and I knew I couldn't live in the winter snow of her mountain world.

We dated off-and-on (between her divorces) for nearly 17 years before finally deciding we were not going to be together.

My point with this is that there are other factors that can be at work in this. Although we did love one another (not sure I'd call her a soulmate), we loved our respective environments more. My love for Catalina has continued to create problems in the romantic realm because there are so few professional options for a woman out here, and I'd want my partner to be fulfilled in her work as well as in our relationship.

If neither of you have strong ties to your environment, this may not be an issue. I recognize her ties to her parents, and that is quite understandable.

#26 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, I know who that woman is. She's on the board.

Okay, so if you left Merredin, you'd be missing out on the wheat belt, a granite rock, a railroad water tower and a grain transfer terminal. Dude, just move anywhere else anyway! :teeth:

Trace

Trace: I've already put in for a transfer to another country town - Mount Barker (Western Australia, not South Australia)

I want to make sure I'll have enough money to actually do the move. I don't want to mooch off anyone (methinks I've said this before... hmmmm)

Last time I moved away for someone meant I lost my long service leave - I got paid pro-rata, but boy do I need a long break!!!! Nothing beats time off IMHO.

I forgot to mention that my Mum has threatened to send a posse to take me back to W.A. if I leave. :2cool:

Actually - would the Canadians want an Aussie there? LOL They must do as when I was in Ottawa they had an Aussie lass reading the news on BOB-FM.

OK... enough rambling from me... We now take you back to your regularly scheduled thread.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#27 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

Because people who think that it could never happen don't have the capacity within them to love like that. They can't find it within themselves, so it must be fictional.

Speak for yourself - I am one of the ones who answered "This is a hypothetical question that could never happen". and I do not appreciate your derogatory categorization. I am an atheist - I do not believe in souls, ergo - I do not believe in soul mates.

P.S. I can, have and ,hopefully, will love with the best of them.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#28 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

I have to explain that when I moved to Virginia, Donna packed up and moved here as well. After a couple of years of trying, she couldn't get enough work to keep her happy and she went back to Florida to teach at the Florida Institute of Technology where she was before we left Melbourne. This step was taken with a lot of discussion and planning. We try to get together every two to three weeks. It's pretty difficult and I am not sure a new marriage could handle the stress of being apart like this. We talk at least two times a day and usually several times. Even if one of us is busy on the computer or doing something else and we aren't saying a thing, it's nice to know the one you love is on the other end of the line.

So, we have both moved for the other and I was agreeable to Donna moving away, because I love her and knew she was not getting what she needed professionally here in Virginia. Sometimes, if you love someone, you have to let them do something that you don't particularly like.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#29 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:19 PM

I have to explain that when I moved to Virginia, Donna packed up and moved here as well. After a couple of years of trying, she couldn't get enough work to keep her happy and she went back to Florida to teach at the Florida Institute of Technology where she was before we left Melbourne. This step was taken with a lot of discussion and planning. We try to get together every two to three weeks. It's pretty difficult and I am not sure a new marriage could handle the stress of being apart like this. We talk at least two times a day and usually several times. Even if one of us is busy on the computer or doing something else and we aren't saying a thing, it's nice to know the one you love is on the other end of the line.

So, we have both moved for the other and I was agreeable to Donna moving away, because I love her and knew she was not getting what she needed professionally here in Virginia. Sometimes, if you love someone, you have to let them do something that you don't particularly like.

:teeth:
You're dead right. I respect the decision made by my soul-mate even though it killed both of us at the time.

Good on ya Dennis :-)

SD's Aussie Connection.

#30 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

Then she decided family came first (elderly parents and it's not exactly a quick drive across town to see them.

I'd call that an admirable quality in her....and I'd be a little more inclined to vote hell yes....or at least heck yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users