• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Greenpeace damages reef

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

It's the chart's fault!
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

Just what "renewable energy" is Rainbow Warrior II running on? Greenbacks maybe, there will be another fund drive to pay that fine!
As for the charts plotted back in the 1800's using sextants, yes they are off if you have the boats auto pilot running a GPS course, that's why you have crew "on watch" to look out for islands and reefs! Even in the Bahamas where the charts are more up to date I've seen the chartplotter show us in the middle of an island that's abeam of us.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

oh no, non environmentally friendly greenpeace.

what beef do they have with coral? what did coral ever do to greenpeace?

#4 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

Does kinda make you wonder, how much diesel they will burn - while touring the tropics promoting renewable energy.
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
WHO DAT!!!!

#5 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:23 AM

Does kinda make you wonder, how much diesel they will burn - while touring the tropics promoting renewable energy.

Were you this critical of the Exxon Valdez?

#6 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

Somehow, I doubt they were....

:dance:

Norm

#7 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

Exxon wasn't on the "Asian Energy Revolution Ship Tour 2005. I was highly critical of the Exxon Valdez - I was hosting a radio show in San Antonio at the time and spent many hours lambasting the Company, the Capitan, the policy and the whole program in general. That being said - I don't recall much hypocrisy from Exxon during the incident - lots of other problems and crimes though.
I just think that if your going to cruise around promoting renewable resources - you should learn to sail, and watch out for reefs.
WHO DAT!!!!

#8 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

Exxon wasn't on the "Asian Energy Revolution Ship Tour 2005. I was highly critical of the Exxon Valdez - I was hosting a radio show in San Antonio at the time and spent many hours lambasting the Company, the Capitan, the policy and the whole program in general. That being said - I don't recall much hypocrisy from Exxon during the incident - lots of other problems and crimes though.
I just think that if your going to cruise around promoting renewable resources - you should learn to sail, and watch out for reefs.

I doubt Greenpeace could accomplish all that they do were they limited to wind power. It's easy to cast stones but a lot harder to really try to do something about the state of the planet. Especially when people are so quick to rush to judgement. $7,000 worth of damage to a reef, for which they quickly assumed responsibility and paid for, hardly compares to negligence of Exxon.

Exxon Valdez

#9 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

I doubt Greenpeace could accomplish all that they do were they limited to wind power. It's easy to cast stones but a lot harder to really try to do something about the state of the planet. Especially when people are so quick to rush to judgement. $7,000 worth of damage to a reef, for which they quickly assumed responsibility and paid for, hardly compares to negligence of Exxon.

Exxon Valdez

:teeth:

#10 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:01 PM

what beef do they have with coral? what did coral ever do to greenpeace?

I don't know maybe it was out causing mischief in the reef. Messing with other critters. I know, I bet the coral was sending things out into the water at night. Polluting the ocean.. :teeth:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#11 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

what beef do they have with coral?  what did coral ever do to greenpeace?

I don't know maybe it was out causing mischief in the reef. Messing with other critters. I know, I bet the coral was sending things out into the water at night. Polluting the ocean.. :teeth:

maybe the coral was out promoting non-renewable energy sources

#12 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:31 PM

Exxon Valdez

You're right, Greenpeace hitting a reef hardly compares to the Exxon Valdez (you are the only one making that comparison.) It also hardly compares to the waste and fertilizer runoff from farms, sewage dumping, invasion of other species or the damage done to the Bikini Atoll by the atomic bomb, but in the above examples, only one group claims to be trying to save the environment - thus the irony

Rationalizing the use of non-renewable resources while polluting the environment in order to teach others not to use non-renewable resources and not to pollute the environment is hypocrisy.

Yes Greenpeace took responsibility (blaming the chart) and yes they paid the fine

$7,000 worth of damage to a reef

Where do you go to buy a replacement reef - who decided the how much damage was done - in dollars?

P.S. I don't want to shock anyone but the state of the planet is just fine. Earth was here for 4 billion years before we showed up - and will probably be here for 4 billion after we kill ourselves off. It's the state of humans and the lifestyle we enjoy that is in danger.
WHO DAT!!!!

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

P.S. I don't want to shock anyone but the state of the planet is just fine. Earth was here for 4 billion years before we showed up - and will probably be here for 4 billion after we kill ourselves off. It's the state of humans and the lifestyle we enjoy that is in danger.

Interesting point, Henry.

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:36 PM

The world according to Scubahawk? How comforting. :teeth:

#15 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

$7,000 worth of damage to a reef

Where do you go to buy a replacement reef - who decided the how much damage was done - in dollars?

Roughly, I see things this way too (with variations)....

No doubt we will be the cause of our own demise by our practices... (and greed will be at the helm).... We may nearly wipe out a lot of things in the process, but they will probably bounce back once we are not here to mess things up... Sure, as little guys we can try to do our part to 'save' the planet.... but it seems there are way more trying to mess it up while they make their fortunes. We're going to get mother nature good and P'O'd.... then get our butts handed to us on a plate.

And I'm not convinced that 'greenpeace' is all that it claims to be (like many other organizations, I think there is a level of corruption within even them that would shock us) . I'm just guessing that quite a few of the members don't (and won't) carpool... drive great big gas guzzling S.U.V's to any protest (make a mess while they are there for someone else to clean up)... toss their trash (like cigarette butts) out the window so as not to dirty up their expensive SUV..... Waste energy at every opportunity because they can afford to... Basically Hypocrites.... with a cause... Don't misunderstand though .... I do believe in the idea and what it means (and admire those who truly practice it) .... just sometimes frustrated at the futility....

and the $7000 fine is almost laughable....Where'd they pull that out of?

Exxon's troubles (my opinion) came as much from greed as from ignorance and stupidity. Can't spend anything on a precaution like a double hull. To listen to the gas companies, they are just barely scraping by as it is.

OK....enough foaming at the mouth for me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users