• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

BP/W vs. BC

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#91 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

There's some misinformation here. While a BP/Wing is an excellent design, it's not the only such excellent design. Lots of good features folks attribute to a BP/Wing also apply to a vest. Some faults people attribute to a vest are not part of the vest design and not all vests have them. Those faults are starting to show up on BP/Wings as well.

To use Trace's list, for example:

Jacket BCD

It's not a jacket, it's a Vest BC

- fastex locks break easily

I don't know what a fastex lock is, but I've never had my BC break.

- usually has a loose fit

If you get the wrong size.

- tank position is often too low & diver can't reach valve (if you jump in with your air OFF you will want to reach the valve)

This is ridiculous. The diver positions the tank with either system at the height he desires.

- no crotch strap for secure fit, attachment points, or scooter ability

This is an advantage, IMHO. I hate crotch straps.

- too many superfluous attachment points

Some BCs are poorly designed.

- plastic attachment points can break

Buy one with stainless steel D rings.

- more drag

Not true. Most vests have added junk that creates drag, but recently so have some BP/Wings. You can still get either with minimal drag. The vest I use has as little drag as any BP/Wing.

- jacket lines are discontinued/replacement parts hard to find

I'm using the same design with which I started diving. It's not been discontinued, but has been around longer than the BP/Wing.

- poor hose routing features

Hoses can be routed identically with either.

- frontal bulkiness

BS

- gear hangs low when swimming increasing drag and entanglements

That's poor training and can happen with a BP/Wing as readily as with a vest.

- often requires excess weight

That's poor training and can happen with a BP/Wing as readily as with a vest.

- weight pouches slip/weight belts drop

I don't like weight integrated BCs either, but most folks still use a weight belt with a BP/Wing.

- limited diving potential

What the hell does that mean? I've never been limited in my diving with my vest.

- often floats up

Not if it fits properly. A poorly fitted BP/Wing will also ride up, not as far because the crotch strap will hold you up in it crushing anything in your crotch area in the process.

- poorer weight distribution (trim problems)

A properly trained diver is not dependent on equipment to hold him in proper trim. Divers are not inanimate objects.

- smaller pockets

BP/Wings don't usually have pockets at all, although they can be added. Larger pockets can also be added to vests, but larger pockets just hang down and add to drag.

- plastic pack can crack

Of course it can, but I've never had a problem nor even seen a problen with one.

- not modular

That depends on the design. I still use the original hardware on my first vest. I'm not on the original vest, that's been replaced twice.

Backplate & wing

- stainless steel buckles and attachments won't break easily

Stainless steel or plastic buckles can be used on either style.

- custom snug fit

True.

- adjustable for proper tank position

So is a vest.

- easily handles doubles, stages

So does my vest.

- crotch strap for secure fit, attachment points, scootering

This is a disadvantage IMHO.

- custom attach points

True.

- less drag

Not true.

- easy to replace, borrow, change wing sizes

True, but I've never needed that feature.

- attached weighting

Partially. Most still use weight belts.

- great hose routing

Hoses can be routed identically with either.

- no front bulkiness

Neither does a well designed vest.

- gear rides high and streamlined

So does a well designed vest.

- often no need for ditchable weight

Often I don't need any with my vest.

- unlimited diving potential

Same as a vest.

- won't float up

Not if it fits properly. A poorly fitted BP/Wing will also ride up, not as far because the crotch strap will hold you up in it crushing anything in your crotch area in the process.

- excellent weight distribution

A properly trained diver is not dependent on equipment to hold him in proper trim. Divers are not inanimate objects.

- larger pockets/detachable

BP/Wings don't usually have pockets at all, although they can be added. Larger pockets can also be added to vests, but larger pockets just hang down and add to drag.

- stainless steel pack won't crack

BP is available in plastic as well.

- completely modular system

So are some vests.

bp/w is easier to travel with because it packs up smaller - none of the bulky cummerbun and stuff

The "bulky cummerbund and stuff" is not part of the design of a vest, but crap that has been added to some, but not all, recent vests and to some BP/Wings as well. I agree, that crap has no business on any BC. It's not part of my vest.

the not having to get a new BC cuz you want to dive doubles is worth it's weight in gold

Another myth. A vest works quite well with doubles.

AND not have to discard the entire system...OR pay for an entire NEW one

I merely replace the parts that wear out, just like with a BP/Wing.

A BP/Wing is a fine system. It may be right for you, but don't be mislead as to why.

Walter,

While you're using one of the best "vest" designs it still fails in comparison to the uses of a backplate and wing system.

First, regarding plastic snaps produced by companies like Fastex, ITW Nexus, etc., they will break if something heavy is dropped on them. If a cylinder falls over, a weightbelt is dropped, a scooter is set on your BCD, etc., these small plastic buckles will break. Their tensil strength is also not that of a steel buckle so they are not to be trusted to stand up to the rigors of carrying heavy gear such as extra bottles. This is why any harness including those designed for use with a backplate that employ any plastic quick release buckles are not recomended for serious diving. Why risk having a vacation ruined, being inconvenienced due or even put at risk of injury or death to a small piece of plastic junk? One stainless steel waist buckle (which I'm sure you have on yours rather than plastic) is all you need to secure a harness. The ScubaPro BCD you prefer has several other small plastic buckles that can be broken.

Second, to get tight fit from a "vest" or any other jacket or ABS BCD system, one's body needs to be able to fill out the space in the harness or if the harness can be secured, just about every recreational BCD uses plastic buckles through which you pull the nylon webbing and for recreational diving it is not a big deal, but once you add weight like multiple bottles, secure yourself to a tow scooter and such, the harness system becomes a failure point. This is why any recreational BCD becomes a limiting factor in one's diving potential. Only a horsecollar BCD can be substituted for a wing when a very secure harness (read no real failure points) is required, but that would be silly for most diving, but have uses for military, SRT, and rescue divers expecting to be extracted by air.

Third, the majority of recreational BCDs place their packs way too low when actually worn. They may be centered in the back when on the rack, but when seen on most divers, the tanks are hanging way too low even if the band is near the top of the cylinder. Add to this the handles and straps that sit over the valve and it becomes difficult to adjust the height of a tank to the correct level on most recreational BCDs.

Fourth, crotch straps can be taken off backplates in seconds for those divers who hate them. The waist strap and the shoulder straps are enough for the security of most recreational divers, but are invaluable tools. The butt D-ring and the front crotch D-ring (you want metal not plastic) are ideal for carrying reels, scooter clips, and safe temporary attachment points that are away from regulator hoses and BCD hoses and won't clutter a diver's body when used temporarily.

Fifth, most recreational, tech wanna-be & even backplate & wing systems are poorly designed. That we agree upon, but the science of diving a certain backplate system (Hogarthian/DIR) is well tried and tested with the top divers in the world putting much thought into the uses of the system.

I'm not a big fan of many OMS and Dive Rite products because they try to enhance simplicity and they create many problems when trying to put their spin on Hogarthian. For sidemount and other applications, I trust other systems beyond Hogarthian. Recreational BCDs, tech-wanna-be BCD's and a couple BP/wings have way too many attachment points and are poorly designed.

There are many great BP/Wings out there from companies like Halcyon, OxyCheq, Dive Rite (classic wing), Kamala found one that she bought from Deep Sea Supply I can't wait to check out (I don't like the inflator hose on it but I'll see if that can't be remedied), Seatec (if you move the inflator valve), most divers mix and match BP's, harness colors, wings to suit their needs, but buying recreational and tech-wanna-be BCD's is like a huge crap shoot. Too many kinds, not enough research. The Hogarthian system is pretty well tried and tested.

Hose routing can be argued, but is more complex and often depends on carrying stages & scootering. Again, why BP/W's are superior to any other BCD because they have proven unlimited range while other BCDs do not.

What I mean by unlimited diving potential is that equipment like Halcyon is expedition ready right out of the box. You can assemble for a properly equipped and safe trimix/cave dive with multiple scooters, bottles, cameras, etc. in minutes.
It only took me 15 minutes to completely assemble a twin tank set up with everything brand new right out of the box, add the correct hose lengths, full light system, etc. and clear the area to stop interupting an Antonio Banderas movie because we were playing the radio too loudly while doing so. We also were looking for a DIN O-ring that popped out of my Zeagle Flathead VI at the time which slowed things down.

Your "BS" reply to my statement regarding frontal bulkiness... I'm looking at the current design of your BCD and I see lots of bulk compared to a tight fitting 2" nylon web harness. By the way, a "poorly fitted" harness can be fixed right away. An incorrectly sized vest cannot.

Excellent weight distribution of a BP/wing is only partially about a diver's trim as imagined by most recreational-minded divers. It's more about balancing the equipment which a BP/wing does exceptionally well. When I'm in Florida, I want to see you carry all my stuff balanced on your vest and secured as tightly to the body. I'm entering the water more than 30 pounds negative many times with all the gear being carried and it doesn't affect my balance my body position or my trim in any way.

Anyway, we're setting up a Florida Keys event that's really reaching for the sky in coolness so I'm sure we'll have a chance to prove our points :lmao:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#92 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

Anyway, we're setting up a Florida Keys event that's really reaching for the sky in coolness so I'm sure we'll have a chance to prove our points  :lmao:

Any chance this event will take place next June? :o

#93 egp

egp

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:43

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

Kamala found one that she bought from Deep Sea Supply I can't wait to check out (I don't like the inflator hose on it but I'll see if that can't be remedied

I dive a DSS BP/W also and really like it. What's the concern with the inflator hose?

Oh BTW Caetllonn although soemtimes interesting to read I've never once seen these one of these threads actually come to a sensible conclusion. Just incase you haven't figured it out already you'll learn more in 30 minutes with any BCD on a dive than by all the discussions on the internet.

#94 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:24 PM

Oh BTW Caetllonn although soemtimes interesting to read I've never once seen these one of these threads actually come to a sensible conclusion. Just incase you haven't figured it out already you'll learn more in 30 minutes with any BCD on a dive than by all the discussions on the internet.

Conclusions?? :lmao:

No worries, Ed, I'm merely looking for opinions... and boy have I found plenty! :o

#95 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

I think to put the matter to rest:

A. No one here will say the a Hogarthian BP/W system is a bad choice
B. Some Jacket/Vest based BC's are a bad choice
C. Some Non-Hogarthian BP/W systems are a bad choice.

It's your money. You can go for the sure thing, or you can roll the dice.

#96 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:42 AM

I dive a DSS BP/W also and really like it. What's the concern with the inflator hose?

The inflator hoses look longer than Halcyon's in the pics, but that could just be my imagination. I should have said, "I don't like the look of the inflator hoses from pictures and if I find them not to my liking I'll have to see if I can remedy the length." Are they longer than those in Halcyon wings?

Trace

Edited by TraceMalin, 10 November 2005 - 01:50 AM.

Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#97 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:33 AM

The inflator hoses look longer than Halcyon's in the pics, but that could just be my imagination. I should have said, "I don't like the look of the inflator hoses from pictures and if I find them not to my liking I'll have to see if I can remedy the length." Are they longer than those in Halcyon wings?

Trace

Trace,

one of the MOST profound changes I made in my Gear was a few weeks ago apres' dive at CE-E. I FINALLY got through my thick head concerning Inflator Hose lengths as Rennaker describes on his site; LG said if I didn't find it superior, he would pay for a retro-fit... :lmao:

The top-of-shoulder Inflator...

http://www.pbase.com...51222107/medium

and

http://www.pbase.com.../image/51222108

Amazingly (actually NOT, if you think about) this offers an almost Auto-Pilot dump...no more water in the bladder...no more raising the critter above one's head...left shoulder now "cleaner" near the D-ring.

I "fitted" the length sitting in the BGDV with the Inflator in my mouth, while Wayne tried a couple of stock lengths. 15 minutes later, and of course, an new LP hose to corresponding length, and I found NEW level of controlability...

Norm

true Hogarthianism is an Ongoing Open Protocol

#98 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

Trace

Trace,

one of the MOST profound changes I made in my Gear was a few weeks ago apres' dive at CE-E. I FINALLY got through my thick head concerning Inflator Hose lengths as Rennaker describes on his site; LG said if I didn't find it superior, he would pay for a retro-fit... :banghead:

and

Amazingly (actually NOT, if you think about) this offers an almost Auto-Pilot dump...no more water in the bladder...no more raising the critter above one's head...left shoulder now "cleaner" near the D-ring.

I "fitted" the length sitting in the BGDV with the Inflator in my mouth, while Wayne tried a couple of stock lengths. 15 minutes later, and of course, an new LP hose to corresponding length, and I found NEW level of controlability...

Norm

Norm,

That's even better! I was concerned that the hoses of the Deep Sea Supply might be too long, but I really like your shorter inflator hose. I'll have to try that out.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#99 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

Trace

Trace,

one of the MOST profound changes I made in my Gear was a few weeks ago apres' dive at CE-E. I FINALLY got through my thick head concerning Inflator Hose lengths as Rennaker describes on his site; LG said if I didn't find it superior, he would pay for a retro-fit... :banghead:

and

Norm

Norm,

That's even better! I was concerned that the hoses of the Deep Sea Supply might be too long, but I really like your shorter inflator hose. I'll have to try that out.

Trace

Man, this is the best innovation since sliced Pepperoni...

While it surely CAN be done DIY, a well-inventoried Tech LDS are the best bet, as YM&LMV...CE-E did it for the $$$ of the parts...no labor, AND I learned to DIY at the same time!
While mine was 100% DR product, I'm sure the other reputable Tech lines have these hoses in various short lengths as well. Just be D**M sure you can still get the oral bit in the mouth in case of Sudden High Intensity Training...

Betting you will LOVE it!!

nhb

:banghead:

#100 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:00 AM

Trace

Trace,

and

Norm

Norm,

Trace

Man, this is the best innovation since sliced Pepperoni...

While it surely CAN be done DIY, a well-inventoried Tech LDS are the best bet, as YM&LMV...CE-E did it for the $$$ of the parts...no labor, AND I learned to DIY at the same time!
While mine was 100% DR product, I'm sure the other reputable Tech lines have these hoses in various short lengths as well. Just be D**M sure you can still get the oral bit in the mouth in case of Sudden High Intensity Training...

Betting you will LOVE it!!

nhb

:banghead:

I was going to post a question about being able to use your "third regulator," but I assumed (correctly) that when sizing the length to your mouth you took that into consideration. I'm also guessing that it will be out of the way of those stage bottle first stages. I hate when the inflator either inflates or bleeds when you squash it against the stages inadvertantly when reaching across the body to clip/unclip or when working on something. I also hate it when you can't grab the inflator immediately during HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING because the darn thing has nestled in between stages. And, yes, DIR guys, I'm using the Halcyon inflator. Norm's inflator seems to be DIEB - Doing It Even Better.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#101 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

Trace,

Yeah, I've never heard it called the "3rd reg", but that certainly IS fitting... :banghead:

Sheck and Mary Ellen taught that back in the Days of Yore, although NOT the way as now, ie as a last resort 2nd stage (note to self: need to Drill this protocol)..we were taught to rebreath the BC if OOA and still in Overhead...now before I get stomped on, yeah, I KNOW there is fungus amongus most likely there in the Bladder...if you would REALLY rather die UW than risk a lung infection, then can you willl me your gear??

:wakawaka:

The pics of the LP were cropped too close to show the D-ring...if you look closely, you will see DR shoulder pads, so you might infer the clear distance & spacing available...I haven't staged the deco bottle since this re-rig (ANNASEA, are you listening to how easy mods are to BP rigs?) , but will do so and snap a pic and post asap for you...I THINK this will cure your nest 'o boltsnaps spot on...

BTW, glad to see you also experience Sudden High Intensity Training...I figure that is Nature's Way of showing Evolution ain't OVER... :wakawaka:

Oh, yes, LG calls it DWW...Doing What Works... :banghead:

Norm
sampling different ventor's Koolaids since 1979

QUOTE]
I was going to post a question about being able to use your "third regulator," but I assumed (correctly) that when sizing the length to your mouth you took that into consideration. I'm also guessing that it will be out of the way of those stage bottle first stages. I hate when the inflator either inflates or bleeds when you squash it against the stages inadvertantly when reaching across the body to clip/unclip or when working on something. I also hate it when you can't grab the inflator immediately during HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING because the darn thing has nestled in between stages. And, yes, DIR guys, I'm using the Halcyon inflator. Norm's inflator seems to be DIEB - Doing It Even Better.

Trace

#102 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:38 PM

(ANNASEA, are you listening to how easy mods are to BP rigs?) , but will do so and snap a pic and post asap for you...

:o

#103 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:55 PM

Kamala found one that she bought from Deep Sea Supply I can't wait to check out (I don't like the inflator hose on it but I'll see if that can't be remedied

Oh BTW Caetllonn although sometimes interesting to read I've never once seen these one of these threads actually come to a sensible conclusion. Just incase you haven't figured it out already you'll learn more in 30 minutes with any BCD on a dive than by all the discussions on the internet.

He thinks the inflator hose is too long but he'll see for sure when he checks yours and mine out at Dutch.

I do hope that he likes it as well as we both do...if he does I'm planning on offering them on the site as a private label option. (We'll have SingleDivers.com down the side of the bladder in either black or purple!)

As for really learning about things...you NEED to try them out for yourself. One of the reasons Trace developed the Techreational Clinics was for that very reason. It will allow you to sort the information, misinformation and information misunderstanding that prevails on the internet...and apply it in a controlled setting with a very knowledgeable source that has been diving for 25 years and instructing for 16 years.

Once you do that, you can then make your own personal informed decisions!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#104 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

Sheck and Mary Ellen taught that back in the Days of Yore, although NOT the way as now, ie as a last resort 2nd stage (note to self: need to Drill this protocol)..we were taught to rebreath the BC if OOA and still in Overhead...now before I get stomped on, yeah, I KNOW there is fungus amongus most likely there in the Bladder...if you would REALLY rather die UW than risk a lung infection, then can you willl me your gear??

dive_addict was doing this drill in the pool last weekend to gross me out! I made him stop - thinking about all the gross stuff that's in those bladders!!! blech!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#105 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

Why the hate, Nicolle? We don't make fun of what's in your bladder!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users