• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

BP/W vs. BC

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#106 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:39 PM

Why the hate, Nicolle? We don't make fun of what's in your bladder!

Jexy...you are one sick puppy!!!

But hey...that's why we love you! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#107 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:46 PM

Why the hate, Nicolle?  We don't make fun of what's in your bladder!

great there goes the liquids and the computer screen!! ;) and can you believe I didn't see that one coming???
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#108 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

great there goes the liquids and the computer screen!! ;) and can you believe I didn't see that one coming???

Coming? Isn't that how people often get gross things in their bladders?

Trace

Edited by TraceMalin, 10 November 2005 - 06:29 PM.

Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#109 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:29 PM

I'm poking my mind's eye out right now...
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#110 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:35 PM

This thread is now closed for the safety of Nicolle's health. Maybe we need to do a charity dive to help our mentally cycloptic friend "scope" out safer interneting?

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#111 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:38 PM

great there goes the liquids and the computer screen!! :birthday: and can you believe I didn't see that one coming???

Coming? Isn't that how people often get gross things in their bladders?

Trace

Trace you are as bad as Jexy...:birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#112 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

Sheck and Mary Ellen taught that back in the Days of Yore, although NOT the way as now, ie as a last resort 2nd stage (note to self: need to Drill this protocol)..we were taught to rebreath the BC if OOA and still in Overhead...now before I get stomped on, yeah, I KNOW there is fungus amongus most likely there in the Bladder...if you would REALLY rather die UW than risk a lung infection, then can you willl me your gear??

dive_addict was doing this drill in the pool last weekend to gross me out! I made him stop - thinking about all the gross stuff that's in those bladders!!! blech!

One COULD rinse the bladder with Cranberry Juice, I suppose...

Norm

(sorry, Ladies, I just HAD TOO!)

#113 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:13 PM

"Chasing a trail of smoke and reason. Prying open my third eye."

Mandy, where are you?!?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#114 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

I thought of something today as I was continuing my seemingly never-ending research into BP/Ws. In the BP/W world, the amount of lift a wing provides is of great importance. Why is this not considered in the vest-style BC world? Isn't there a limit as to how much weight a vest can carry? The impression I get from my readings is that people buy vests purely based on comfort, features, affordability and fit, but with BP/Ws, there's a strong emphasis on wing lift, regardless of whether the diver is doing *tech* dives (using doubles perhaps) or purely rec dives such as myself. Why the difference?

#115 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Because almost anyone diving a jacket style these days (there are still exceptions) are diving single tanks, typically a single 80. There are a lot more people in wings that at some point or other go to steel tanks (and double steels) that are more negative and require more lift. Add onto that other tech gear, and it is more of a consideration.

This is just a generalization.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#116 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

The reason why you don't hear too much about lift on a traditional jacket style is that you don't really have any control over that. The amount of lift is typically a function of the size of the BC (with larger sizes providing more lift). With BP/W, you can adjust the amount of lift independent of the size of the harness. This is (IMO) one of the chief advantages of BP/W over jacket style. You can literally customize the entire rig to your personal requirements, even on a dive-by-dive basis if you want to.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#117 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

This is (IMO) one of the chief advantages of BP/W over jacket style. You can literally customize the entire rig to your personal requirements, even on a dive-by-dive basis if you want to.

-JimG

Its true. I have a 20# wing that I use for single 80's and a 30# wing for steel 90's and above including double 65's. When I dive double steel 95's I need a larger wing.

The wing in the DSS design pops on and off quite easily. Others require a simple screw and nut to change out.

The wings don't weigh much so on some trips I've brought them both. Why bother? Well I like the smaller wing and want to use it whenever possible. Having a wing that is too big for your needs means you can risk trapping excess air in it and thereby impact your bouyancy.

(When you dove the bp&w in Florida you were using a 20# wing and the issues you had with getting rid of the air were due mostly to the back inflate nature of a wing. You do need to roll a bit to the side and/or back to release the air. Jacket style allow you to release air from a more horizontal position. Wings require a bit more of a vertical position.

formerly...

#118 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

(When you dove the bp&w in Florida you were using a 20# wing and the issues you had with getting rid of the air were due mostly to the back inflate nature of a wing. You do need to roll a bit to the side and/or back to release the air. Jacket style allow you to release air from a more horizontal position. Wings require a bit more of a vertical position.

This runs contrary to my experience. But I guess it depends on how you are trying to vent the wing.

#119 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

This runs contrary to my experience. But I guess it depends on how you are trying to vent the wing.

Hey please share your experiences? We can all learn. She was however using a single alum 80 and not dubs. I find venting dubs to be slightly different myself. My guess is because the doubles are heavy and I need to leave a certain amount of air in the wing at all times...I am rarely venting all the air out and more fine tuning.

When diving a single tank I tend to vent all the air out and need to position myself more to do so.

formerly...

#120 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

I spoke with an *expert* on the DSS system yesterday and he was quite surprised I was having trouble with the LCD wing. From what I remember of the conversation, Tobin thought that the reason I was having so much trouble was because the hose was clamped down too tightly with the velcro strap (being in an 'S' position) and therefore I couldn't lift it high enough to vent the air.

Even when vertical (and the guide we were diving with had me vertical), there was still trouble. I couldn't see what was going on obviously since the hose was coming from behind me, but I'm reckoning because the hose was velcroed too tightly, it was pressing down on the wing even in a vertical position, therefore breaking/limiting the outflow of air. Especially from the left side of the wing, as I recall.

Interestingly, when I asked about the Torus (donut) over the LCD (horseshoe), the LCD was still the recommended wing for me. Something about single tank donuts being there to fill the demand. Although apparently, there's no *real* need for them. :dance:

Despite my initial *challenges*, I'm still getting a BP/W. :diver:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users