• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Going to the Dark Side

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:57 PM

I am leaving open circuit diving, and I will be a rebreather diver from this point forward. I wanted to make sure that my check to purchase cleared the bank :-D before announcing my decision and my purchase. :D

Though every unit has something that I like over others, in the end, I decided to go with the Dive Rite O2ptima for my purchase. Here are my reasons. They might not be right for you, but they seem to make the best sense for me. You're not going to rain on my parade, are you? :D

There were several things that I like about the design. I actually like the Extend Air cartridges. I think that they will give a consistent performance when compared to potential variations in scubber pellets, settling and packing issues. I also like the idea that they produce no dust and can easily be changed on a boat.

I am okay with paying extra while the cost to fabricate the cartridges comes down. I am pretty confident that the duration testing will give me sufficient bottom time when newer tests are published. If I am limited to only three hours or so on a dive, I can live with that compared to the 20 minutes I am averaging on my deeper dives now using open circuit.

I really like the horizontal canister mounting. The hoses route really well from this, and I think that they present less of an entanglement hazard in wreck diving. I also think that this contributes to the overall low Work of Breathing.

I actually like the cover (though you might not). Rather than being the hard plastic which can look pretty bad after a few dives, the O2ptima cover is thin, soft and durable. After spending this kind of money, it would be nice to have something that will keep looking good for a long time. I think the O2ptima cover also does a great job of protecting the hoses, and it seems to contribute to the unit being streamlined in the water. (It may be psychology; I am no hydrodynamic expert! :) )

I think that the computers are well made though they are on the larger side. Most rebreather computers seem on the larger side anyway. On my wish list: I hope that they will move towards RGBM and/or VPM (I have been using V-Planner for over two years). I still like the VR3 as my top choice.

I think that the unit handles flooding well. You can fly it automatically or manually, and you can connect offboard gas to it. I have had excellent service from Dive Rite over the years, and I like the idea of staying with a major player in the overall dive industry.

Not everything is perfect. For example, I am not thrilled about using an Air II for reverting to open circuit though I can always resort to a bailout bottle (and even connect that to the unit using a standard low pressure quick disconnect fitting on the loop ). I hope that they come out with an open circuit valve on the mouthpiece as I have seen on other units like the KISS. I am guessing that this will be coming down the line.

Anyway, I have paid for my unit, and delivery is expected within a few weeks. I hope to start training in January. I will give a full report on the unit when I get started (and know a little about what I am doing :idea: ). I am psyched!
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:04 AM

I had a chance to see Lamar demo it at the NACD convention. I hope it works out for you. There are some good units out there and some that look a bit, ummm, spotty.

The guy I've been diving with uses a KISS most often so I got a crash course, in that thing. He's getting time on his Ourbouros now, and I have yet to see him in the Meg. These units are fascinating, but open circuit makes me happy for now. :D

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:33 AM

At least with Dive Rite you know it wasn't cobbled together in someones garage who will go belly up when a few divers do doing beta testing. Good luck with your new toy.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

Sounds like fun! :D
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#5 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:44 AM

I am leaving open circuit diving

May I have your tanks? :D

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:00 AM

Trace

No way hoser! I'm closer and need them WAAAY more than you do!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:06 AM

Trace

No way hoser! I'm closer and need them WAAAY more than you do!

Ha! But I'll see him this weekend working the Florida Dive Show....looks like scuba gear is on the Christmas list.....NOW!!! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:08 AM

Trace

:idea: :)

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#9 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:11 AM

Trace

Actually, that was my first thought too. Then I remembered that I will be going that direction in a few more years (or possibly sooner) and won't be buying anymore heavy doubles like my other tech buddies have done. My next set of double tanks with be a lot smaller than I am currently diving.

Congratulations!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

Why do people say they are going to the 'dark side' of something? Is rebreather diving sinister? Or does the dark nature come from defying the laws of physics in diving as we as open circuit divers know them?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

Why do people say they are going to the 'dark side' of something? Is rebreather diving sinister? Or does the dark nature come from defying the laws of physics in diving as we as open circuit divers know them?

Many divers still don't trust rebreathers. They operate on the theory that OC is safer on the basis that all of the gas that you are breathing is of a known mix as you analyzed it prior to the dive. A unit like the Inspiration or the Optima actually mixes the gas to a constant PO2 which leaves the unit able to give you a "hot" mix at depth. The other fear involves a "caustic cocktail" which means a flooding of the scrubber unit and a way that you actually wind up breathing the chemicals that you are using in the scrubber. In short, I have heard the arguement to dissaude me being that the rebreather is constantly trying to kill you at depth or is basically "fly-by-wire". This is somewhat true.

But on a rebreather, you have different options for bail-out. You can breathe the diluent straight. Above 20 ft., you can breathe straight from the O2 bottle. You can breathe off of an OC bail-out bottle that you take down with you for that purpose. There are different ways to accomplish the first two options as well.

To many people in the diving community, the rebreathers will never be quite trusted as they don't have the control over the dive that they do in OC. I respect that opinion. I simply don't quite agree with it.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#12 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:05 PM

I'd go that way too, except I can't afford the $20 to refill the scrubber every dive.

Good luck, let me know how it works out.

#13 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

I'd go that way too, except I can't afford the $20 to refill the scrubber every dive.

Heck, I spend better than that to refill my doubles at the end of every dive. An air top-off for doubles is typically $15.00 to $25.00 up here and don't even ask what nitrox fills on top of buying Helium costs.

#14 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:39 PM

Actually, you DON'T need to refresh the scrubber every Dive...the crude averages range is from 3 to 7 hours use per dose....the REAL $$$ plus is the number of Dives you get from a fill...at the ADM demo, we were quoted doing 6 x normal single-tank Keys dives (mixed depths) on a single gas fill of each tank...Also, if you have a problem with the $$$ for scrubber fills, you may well need to stick OC...this ALSO per the Workshop...

Norm

Heck, I spend better than that to refill my doubles at the end of every dive. An air top-off for doubles is typically $15.00 to $25.00 up here and don't even ask what nitrox fills on top of buying Helium costs.

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

You don't have to change the scubber every dive unless you let the unit sit more than 24 hours between dives. You otherwise change it based on how many hours you have used it. On my my unit, the official rating is for about three hours. However, as real world testing comes out, it will likely come to double or more than that.

On the other hand, it can easily cost $80 to $100 to fill a set of double 120s with Trimix, which will last about 20 to 30 minutes on a deeper dive. (This does not include the perhaps $15 or more for filling the deco bottles, which you can at least partially eliminate for the rebreather since it gives you a "best mix" throughout the dive based on how you have set it to fly). That cost drops to less than $10 for a Trimix fill on the rebreather (mine uses 27 cubic foot tanks), and that will last perhaps eight HOURS for my dives. Even using two cartridges, that is still only about $50, and that is probably enough to last for a weekend live aboard dive trip.

I am actually SAVING money. At least, that's how I am justifying this whole thing to myself. :birthday:

Oh, and yes, the tanks will going on sale along with some regulators and stuff. I just need to get myself situated with everything once the unit comes in and I start my training. I am just trying to decide if I should keep the tanks to use to drive gas for a Baby Booster or something. I'll know about that stuff shortly. Early bribes are always welcome to give you a leg up on the competition. :thankyou:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 30 November 2005 - 02:18 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users