• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GOVERNMENT HOLIDAYS....NOTHA!! NO MAS.....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cert Level:OWC-Mostly muddy lakes and spring water. Dove Cozumel a few years ago, I'm hooked....enough said
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

THE LAW IS THE LAW

So if the US government determines that it is against the law for the words "under God" to be on our money, then, so be it.

And if that same government decides that the "Ten Commandments" are not to be used in or on a government installation, then, so be it.

I say, "so be it," because I would like to be a law abiding US citizen.

I say, "so be it," because I would like to think that smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions.

I would like to think that those people have the American public's best interests at heart.

BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE?

Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings, I don't believe the Government and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life.

I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving &Easter. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving &Easter as well as Sundays. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day.

I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday &Easter. It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other day of the week to a government that is trying to be "politically correct."

In fact...

I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshipping God...) because, after all, our government says that it should be just another day....

After all, the military personel in this country that defend the rights we take for granted, don't get those days off no matter what holiday it is. So why should, the powers that establish these are religious holidays.

What do you all think????

If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the minority opinions and begin, once again, to represent the 'majority' of ALL of the American people.

SO BE IT..

Please Dear Lord,
Give us the help needed to keep you in our country!
'Amen' and 'Amen'

Touche!

These are definitely things I never thought about but from now on, I will be sure to questions those in government who support these changes.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual!

I am certified! But then, you must be, to do ow training dives in Canyon Lake......

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

So if the US government determines that it is against the law for the words "under God" to be on our money, then, so be it.

Where are you getting this? Look at your money again. It says, "In God We Trust," on US money.

Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God ................... in Government buildings

We can, we just can't force others to participate.

I don't believe the Government and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life.

Sorry, but government employees, like everyone in the US, have a constitutionally guaranteed right to worship as they see fit. You don't have the right to try to take that right away from anyone, government employee or not.

I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving &Easter. After all, it's just another day.

You do get mail delivery on Good Friday. Easter always falls on Sunday, there's never mail delivery on Sunday. You "might" have a point about Christmas, but since that holiday is the only holiday on which the Postal Service must pay time and a half to employees who work (through negotiated contracts) don't expect that to happen any time soon. Thanksgiving is not a holiday of any established religion, although most religious people use it as a day of prayer.

What do you all think????

I think it's a bunch of loony ideas based on ignorance.

Edited by Walter, 09 December 2005 - 01:32 PM.

No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:33 PM

Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings,

Nowhere does it state that you cannot pray to or trust in any god - the argument is invalid.

I don't believe the Government and its employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life

I agree 100% the the Government should not participate, but I feel it's employees (as citizens, not as representatives of the Government) should be allowed to participate.

I'd like the US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving &Easter as well as Sundays. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day.

With you 100%

I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshiping God...) because, after all, our government says that it should be just another day....

I don't think they should take a day off for religious reasons, but do you think having MORE government is going to help anything? They can screw up a lot with an extra 52 days a year.

If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the minority opinions and begin, once again, to represent the 'majority' of ALL of the American people.

Remember the job of the government is not just to represent to majority, but to protect the minority.

Please Dear Lord,
Give us the help needed to keep you in our country!
'Amen' and 'Amen'

Please Lord protect me from your followers that forget that our country was founded on religious freedom.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#4 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cert Level:OWC-Mostly muddy lakes and spring water. Dove Cozumel a few years ago, I'm hooked....enough said

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hey, it was just forward, I didn't write the damn thing. Plus I was talked into posting it here. Don't take everthing so literal. I also don't believe whoever did write it was attempting to be taken literally. I just had an appreciation for the point that it tries to make. If I had realized the scrutiny this would provoke, I would have edited it a little. Chill!!!!!!

I am certified! But then, you must be, to do ow training dives in Canyon Lake......

#5 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:33 PM

hehe Hawk... remember, if you want to remain friends, never discuss religion or politics. And putting them together is like committing suicide. :usflag:
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#6 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

Hey, it was just forward, I didn't write the damn thing. Plus I was talked into posting it here. Don't take everthing so literal. I also don't believe whoever did write it was attempting to be taken literally. I just had an appreciation for the point that it tries to make. If I had realized the scrutiny this would provoke, I would have edited it a little. Chill!!!!!!

I was aiming the comments at the unknown author - and I know he (or she) was attempting to be sarcastic, that's what makes agreeing with him/her so much fun. :D Didn't mean for you to take it personally - sorry.

hehe Hawk... remember, if you want to remain friends, never discuss religion or politics. And putting them together is like committing suicide

I only discuss religion and politics over drinks. It's more fun that way. :teeth:
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
WHO DAT!!!!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:37 PM

I only discuss religion and politics over drinks. It's more fun that way.

But aren't you always drinking? Or is that 'thinking of' drinking???? :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

I was aiming the comments at the unknown author - and I know he (or she) was attempting to be sarcastic, that's what makes agreeing with him/her so much fun. :D Didn't mean for you to take it personally - sorry.

hehe Hawk... remember, if you want to remain friends, never discuss religion or politics. And putting them together is like committing suicide

I only discuss religion and politics over drinks. It's more fun that way. :teeth:

No fear fellow Hawk, I am neither personally or impersonally offended, it's all in fun. I figured this would stir something up. I should've known better. Next time I will edit and attempt to soothe certain parts so as to reflect the opinion of the masses. Or is that even possible. Naa, kinda would take the heart out of it I fear.

#9 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

I only discuss religion and politics over drinks. It's more fun that way.

But aren't you always drinking? Or is that 'thinking of' drinking???? :D

Now you're catching on. :teeth:
WHO DAT!!!!

#10 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Why is this under "Our divers in Uniform"??

While many of us who are in a non-deployed status will get Christmas and New Year's off - in fact we get Monday off since the holidays fall on a Sunday this year - many will not, as we still have to maintain a degree of readiness, and in medical, we still have patients to care for. But more importantly, unlike congress and the senate, none of our deployed troops will be taking a "war break" for the holidays. Federal employees or not, they will continue to stand duty where they are regardless of the time of year or holiday being celebrated.

The comments posted here (regardless of who wrote them) do not have anything to do with our military!
"

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

Good question Ali. I for one think it is appropriate in this forum because it is our Military that sets the example by being as you say...Ready to Stand Duty regardless of the holiday, time of year or time of day.

It is also the success of our military that has given us the priviledge to even have this discussion as frustrating as it might be regardless of one's beliefs on the subject. Just as it is because of the Military that forums such as SingleDivers.com exist.

I do not take the contributions of our military lightly and I think the topic of this thread is in a similar vein. It should not be taken lightly either.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

Where are you getting this? Look at your money again. It says, "In God We Trust," on US money.

I just wish the folks who handled so much of it (the money, honey) like the politicians, the lawyers, the doctors, the bankers, the mergers and acquisition types, etc., would actually believe in that simple but powerful phrase. It is my personal experience that a larger percentage of them may profess to believe, but don't.

Would the God I read of in the Bible really approve of having His (or Her) name on money? Perhaps we need Jesus to walk into the "temples" where the money changers are at work again.

Linking money and God makes NO sense to me. I don't believe the Founding Fathers initiated this, but that it came much later in our history just as the "under God" in our pledge of allegiance crept in while I was in school in the 50's.

I have no quarrel with God... just with the folks who use Him as a smoke screen for a lot of rather questionable stuff. I also have no quarrel with Walter... just quoting his statement as an intro here.

Hey, 'Hawk... I think you are pretty much right on.

Edited by drbill, 09 December 2005 - 09:17 PM.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

A few points. My comments were directed as a response to the words, not to you personally. If you don't want your posts taken literally, why did you post it? How else is one to take them?

You appreciate the point it was trying to make? Perhaps next time, you'll post something that makes it instead of merely making a cut and paste of a poorly thought out e-mail.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:11 AM

While many of us who are in a non-deployed status will get Christmas and New Year's off - in fact we get Monday off since the holidays fall on a Sunday this year - many will not, as we still have to maintain a degree of readiness, and in medical, we still have patients to care for. But more importantly, unlike congress and the senate, none of our deployed troops will be taking a "war break" for the holidays. Federal employees or not, they will continue to stand duty where they are regardless of the time of year or holiday being celebrated.

The comments posted here (regardless of who wrote them) do not have anything to do with our military!

Just to add, I work for the federal gov't and I don't get holidays off as a rule. There are many people out in many different jobs that work many holidays. My facility, like hospitals and fire departments, is open 24/7/365. I want a holiday off, I have to request it 3 months in advance and it will be approved about half the time. I managed to have Thanksgiving off this year but I am working Christmas AND New years. Just keeping your skies safe. :usflag:
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#15 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

A few points. My comments were directed as a response to the words, not to you personally. If you don't want your posts taken literally, why did you post it? How else is one to take them?

You appreciate the point it was trying to make? Perhaps next time, you'll post something that makes it instead of merely making a cut and paste of a poorly thought out e-mail.

Walter, you are absolutely right. As for posting this, maybe I should've stated that it was a forward of some sort and not a commentary, but I assumed that would be obvious. I didn't believe anyone would take it literally as we all see a great number of these types of things flying around the email world. For it to be considered a totally fact based document would be also to assume that we believe that dragons really do have affairs of some sort AND that if they really existed or still did, that they would find us to be either crunchy or quite tasty.

I still contend, however ill written or recieved, that the primary point is meant to be the way in which some of the powers that be, tend to cave into the minority and legislate to the majority on how we should or should not act or at least act publically. What I get from it is that if God does not belong in government then neither do religious government holidays. I don't believe anyone should be deprived of their personal religious beliefs and should have the very freedom that some admonish the text for. That in itself, makes the point.

Ali, I agree totally with your comments. Hence the reason that although I did not author this "document" I did add to it.(See quote below)

After all, the military personel in this country that defend the rights we take for granted, don't get those days off no matter what holiday it is. So why should, the powers that establish these are religious holidays.

As for where this got posted, it was by suggestion that I put it here, perhaps for the exact points you make.

Just to add, I work for the federal gov't and I don't get holidays off as a rule. There are many people out in many different jobs that work many holidays. My facility, like hospitals and fire departments, is open 24/7/365. I want a holiday off, I have to request it 3 months in advance and it will be approved about half the time. I managed to have Thanksgiving off this year but I am working Christmas AND New years. Just keeping your skies safe.

Capt Saaz, your comments are also, in my opinion, a very reflection of the text itself. Why is it that you must perform your duties on the days that those who make these laws, do not. Dr Bill made some fantastic points about God maybe being brought into government beyond what the founding fathers intended. I happen to find the example that this writing professes to be the point of contention. I would extend Dr.Bills comments one step further. Does God even really care about money? I think not, I just find it to be hypocritical to legislate what goes on at a high school football game while still enjoying the freedom of using Christmas as a goverment holiday.

All good points from everybody. Hence the reason I did post this. I was not actually attempting to engage anyone in a political or religious debate, but perhaps just a thought provoking one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users