• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Suit Training

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:29 PM

I haven't been in the water since October, mostly because it's too darn cold. So I'm thinking about getting a dry suit. I know I will need to weight myself differently, less weight I imagine? They probably skimmed over this in OW, but I don't remember, because at the time I never intended on diving when it was cold. Will I need to get different booties? What do I need to know about diving dry, or should I just take a class?

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

I've been thinking of getting a dry suit too, but you usually are weighted heavier. I'll be watching this thread for more info myself!

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

I haven't been in the water since October, mostly because it's too darn cold. So I'm thinking about getting a dry suit. I know I will need to weight myself differently, less weight I imagine? They probably skimmed over this in OW, but I don't remember, because at the time I never intended on diving when it was cold. Will I need to get different booties? What do I need to know about diving dry, or should I just take a class?

Just take a class. It is only a few hours long, it's not expensive, and it's not a big deal.

You can also look for Drysuit Diving, Hammerhead Press. It might not be in print anymore. However, even with some of the information being out of date, this is a good primer before your class.

I've been thinking of getting a dry suit too, but you usually are weighted heavier. I'll be watching this thread for more info myself!

That all depends on what you are wearing under the drysuit. I have some friends that wear less weight with their drysuits than they do with their wetsuits. It also depends upon the drysuit material. Trilam is basically neutral.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 27 January 2006 - 05:15 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

Is the class necessary? No. Would I highly recommend it? Yes.

Not only will the class help you answer your questions, it will allow you to become familiarized with drysuits and the issues associated with them. Your instructor should teach you how to deal with the hazards of a drysuit and hopefully mimmick them in the pool. There is nothing like an uncontrolled feet first ascent.

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#5 firemedicdiver

firemedicdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic
  • Logged Dives:not very many

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:46 PM

Is the class necessary? No. Would I highly recommend it? Yes.

MNJoe

I was in my LDS today and I overheard an instructor tell a customer that it is required to take the class to get and use a dry suite. The customer repeated the comment back to the instructor and the instructor said that is right. Now I may have just misunderstood what class they were talking about as I was not trying to easedrop, I just happened to hear that comment and didn't think anything of it untill now. So I guess the question is; does one need to be certified (take a dry class) to purchase or use a dry suit?

Edited by firemedicdiver, 27 January 2006 - 05:47 PM.

Dan

"When I die, please don't let my wife sell my scuba equipment for what I told her I paid for it." -- Anonymous

#6 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

just getting into the drysuit thing..... i dont know how the wench can stand it in the tropics, but i think i am going to dig it. i am so used to dumping every lead weight i own into my bc and belt that my trim cant be any worse than usual.
here is my plan...... i am nowhere near civilization and a drysuit class..... my preferance would be to take the class. instead, i will read the book....again. i will probably overweight myself by quite a bit using regular weights and then a bunch of bank sinkers. then in the water, start removing sinkers until i find my ideal weight. after ginnie spring, i suddenly am more concerned with bouyancy and trim.
the only hitch is...yes, its a foam neopren suit, and will need lots of weight. it will also compress at depth which will change everthing. mostly, the suit is for working under my charter boat or other boats during winter months.
i am always looking for advice.

#7 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

Take a class if you can. Otherwise buy the book that goes with the class and read it and do your first few dives with someone who also has a drysuit. Regarding weighting, well...weighting is weighting. :birthday:

Empty a tank to 500 psi or so and see if you can get down and hover at 10 fsw or so. Keep taking off weight until you can't and then add a pound or so back on. Have all of the air out of your BC and drysuit while you are doing this of course.

Adding a pound or so back on is good to insure that you can stay down and to allow for a little air to be left in your suit since you can get cold at your last stop without any air in your suit to loft the undergarment.

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Without question, at least do a drysuit orientation in a pool. Drysuits are wonderful devices but can bite if you're not careful. You need to know how to recognise an incipient feet first ascent and how to stop an actual one. And how to manage air in the suit vs. air in the BC.

Once you've done the course or orientation then learn from your more experienced peers.

Drysuit diving is NOT simply a dry version of wetsuit diving.

#9 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

thanks....all advice is noted and appriciated....i have to clean the prop on my big boat before i take the trip to the yard. it is only 8 ft deep at the slip.
dont get me wrong.....the right thing is to take the class, its just not that easy for me to do. thats why the advice is so valuable.

#10 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Thank you All! You guys ROCK! :cool1: I will definetly check my LDS for a class. I'm sure someone around here teaches one.

the only hitch is...yes, its a foam neopren suit, and will need lots of weight. it will also compress at depth which will change everthing.

Are all dry suits made out of the same material? I've never seen one up close and imagined that they would not be as bouyant as a wet suit for some reason, I guess because they are suppose to keep you dry. :birthday:

#11 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

Thank you All! You guys ROCK! :cool1: I will definetly check my LDS for a class. I'm sure someone around here teaches one.

the only hitch is...yes, its a foam neopren suit, and will need lots of weight. it will also compress at depth which will change everthing.

Are all dry suits made out of the same material? I've never seen one up close and imagined that they would not be as bouyant as a wet suit for some reason, I guess because they are suppose to keep you dry. :birthday:

foam neoprene.... very bouyant ......crushed neoprene.....less bouyant.... trilam....least bouyant i think..... and rubber ones fit in there somewhere................

#12 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

Most are either some type of neoprene (crushed, closed cell, etc.) or trilaminant (think very tough nylon). Remember if used incorrectly they can be a giant balloon. :diver: The amount of weight depends on the amount of undergarment that you need and therefore the amount of air that you are trapping in the suit.

#13 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Most are either some type of neoprene (crushed, closed cell, etc.) or trilaminant (think very tough nylon). Remember if used incorrectly they can be a giant balloon. :diver: The amount of weight depends on the amount of undergarment that you need and therefore the amount of air that you are trapping in the suit.

So what does one normally wear under a dry suit. Are there special undergarments specifically for wearing under dry suits?

#14 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

I was in my LDS today and I overheard an instructor tell a customer that it is required to take the class to get and use a dry suite. The customer repeated the comment back to the instructor and the instructor said that is right. Now I may have just misunderstood what class they were talking about as I was not trying to easedrop, I just happened to hear that comment and didn't think anything of it untill now. So I guess the question is; does one need to be certified (take a dry class) to purchase or use a dry suit?

You don't need a cert card to own/use or buy a drysuit but some places might not rent you one.Heck you dont even need a card to dive

So what does one normally wear under a dry suit. Are there special undergarments specifically for wearing under dry suits?

There is drysuit underwear specifically made for this.Remember the suits job is to keep you dry and the underwear will look after your warmth and comfort.Carefully choose your underwear so as to get the full benifit of the drysuit.Some people myself included own several sets for differnt applications.
As to taking a course,within in the circle I dive with none of us took a formal course but were mentored by fellow divers(so if your in the neighborhood) along with self education(reading)
When geting your suit(if your buying from a store) get measured and have one custom fitted.A proper fitting suit goes along way to ease of use and comfort.Things like the leg length is important along the ability to move with out having the suit drape off you.Have the store include a course the will cover maintance(bring this up at the end and have it thrown in)
Also things to consider neck seal-neoprene/latex,wrist seal-neoprene/latex,dry glove cuffs,pockets,p-valve(well for the guys),type of boot(might need new fins with bigger pockets,if so include a deal on fins as part of the package).
Once you think you know what you want,post and people can share specific experiances with your choices.

Eric

#15 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Oh Yeah!! They have special underwear, some at around $1,000. Mostly in the $300 - $600 dollar range if I recall. I've had fainting spells ever since I looked at the price. I have known people who get the top of the line undergarments and swear by them. I've known people who wear streat clothes and swear by that.

Depending on the material you get, neoprene, trilam, (and a few other things) determins the underwear you need. Neoprene gives thermal protection on it's own, much like a wet suit so you need less for undergarments. Crushed neoprene gives less thermal protection, so you will need heavier undergarments. Trilam gives no thrmal protection (from what I've heard) and you need the heavest undergarments.

Along with that is the air in the suit. If it keeps the suit off of your body, then that gives you thermal protection. But when the suit comes into contact with your body, like bending your legs, arms and such, you lose the thermal protection of the air. As it was explained to me, if your suit is too bulky, all the air will be in the upper portion of the suit and your legs will feel colder (and you feel what is called squeeze)

Does one NEED to take the class? I do not think it is a law. Most of the dive shops around here will not sell you a dry wuit without being certified. But I think that has more to do with selling the class than looking out for your safety. Although I feel that some classes are little more than a way to "Put Another Dollar In", and are for card collectors. I do feel that there is enough about dry suit diving that the class is a very wise thing to do.

So, if at all possible, I'd say take the class. If not possible, go with someone who has dove dry many times.

Is it too soon to throw back entry vs. front entry into the mix? :teeth:
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users