• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Suit Training

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

I think this is starting to come together now. The third type would be the crushed neoprene, which has advantages but will be more expensive. Does the Tri-lam or Cordula fit into the nylon shell category? The Nylon Shells are better for deeper diving but not necessarily any warmer than the neoprenes? The warmth is determined by the undergarments you wear?

You will see more opinions, but I would say that you are on the right track. Cordura is simply a more bulletproof version of tri-laminate.

As Peter pointed out some deep divers do like the compressed neoprene the best. I does offer a little more insulation, but I am not particularly enamored with it myself for the price difference.

And yes, the warmth is determined by the undergarments.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#32 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

Did I get to all of your questions? Whew! :teeth:
Gray
[. Think of someone penetrating a wreck with sharp metal all around.

Yes! You have been a world of help. Now at least I won't feel like a complete idiot at the mercy of of some sales person when making my purchase. I'll try to get a free class thrown in with my suit when I buy it.

Thanks everyone for contributing to my drysuit education. :banghead: I'll be back if I think of any more questions, I think I need to digest all this for a while. There are alot of things to think about here.

#33 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

My version: the drysuit keeps you dry, the underwear/thermals keep your temperature, the wing is for buoyancy. I would not opt for neoprene because of the insulation it provides. That's the job of the underwear. Use the right underwear so that you don't need to depend on the suit to insulate you.

If you are not going to have different suit for different occasions, think of which suit you would rather carry onto a plane the day after you have done a dive. One will be light and dry; the other will be wet and heavy.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#34 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:49 PM

I have a question about the overall comfort of this drysuit business...

Whether you're in a trilam suit which as I understand it can be somewhat roomy or baggy, or in a neoprene suit which is rather snug-fitting, you're wearing at least one layer underneath. Just how comfortable are you in these multiple layers, especially in the more form-fitting neoprene?

I hate wearing lots of layers of clothing... especially if they're close-fitting; it's just too constricting for me.

#35 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:18 AM

Whether you're in a trilam suit which as I understand it can be somewhat roomy or baggy, or in a neoprene suit which is rather snug-fitting, you're wearing at least one layer underneath. Just how comfortable are you in these multiple layers, especially in the more form-fitting neoprene?

When getting a drysuit I get measured wearing my undergarmets...if buying stock sizes make sure to be wearing your undergarments when trying.It is also easier to remove material from a suit than to add to the suit so if your going to error 'tis better to go a touch big than small.
I wear a crush neoprene suit and the comfort level is that of wearing a tee shirt,thin sweater under a fleece jacket.The secret is proper sizing/fitting suit and undergarmets.(to small it binds,to big it's baggy and bunched)

Eric

#36 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:33 AM

I use a trilam and my undergarment is a one piece jumpsuit like you might wear skiing. The trilam suit itself is fairly loose so when I'm wearing it I don't notice it. It just feels like I'm wearing a ski jumpsuit.

#37 dennis mccarty

dennis mccarty

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:aow,rescue,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

I haven't been in the water since October, mostly because it's too darn cold. So I'm thinking about getting a dry suit. I know I will need to weight myself differently, less weight I imagine? They probably skimmed over this in OW, but I don't remember, because at the time I never intended on diving when it was cold. Will I need to get different booties? What do I need to know about diving dry, or should I just take a class?

Sandy,
I just got mine in this month. I ordered a cut to fit from DUI, Its green on the top for visibility, and i got the undergarments , zip seals, and so on. Im very happy with the custom fit. I will try it out in the pool this week and get weighted correctly then to Terral clear springs scuba for a couple days the following week
. I need to find the right wgts for al 80 single and then steel doubles.

I know that Houston Scuba Academy has a dry suit day to try them and the pool right there is pretty nice.
Marjorie is very helpful as is her staff. I think it is about 25.00 to try the dry suit dive in.
I got a DUI due to the special cut, my shoulders are just too wide for a stock suit. I tested the dui at dog days at clear springs scuba this past year for Public Safety Divers. I bought the tri lam. I did a lot of research on the suits and do to the amount of diving that I will be doing this year, I also wanted zip seals so I can change them out quickly and get back into the water in the event of a tear.

I would tell you to try a couple of different ones and then make the plunge.

If you want to see the DUI tri lam Ill meet you here in houston. Im on turn a round here at Exxon in Baytown but I live in Katy . So let me know , Also I can meet you at Houston Scuba Academy also.
Marjorie has whites, bare and OS. The DUI can be purchased through Oceanic Ventures, where I got mine.
Even though it was more, I still chose DUI.
I really was heading north, I just went the long way around.

#38 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

I have a question about the overall comfort of this drysuit business...

I hate wearing lots of layers of clothing... especially if they're close-fitting; it's just too constricting for me.

Pretty much the same comfort level as if you were dressed for playing in the snow.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#39 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

Depending on what school you use for where to manage your buoyancy (either the suit, or just enough air in the suit to offset a squeeze, then the BC for the rest), it'll depend on the underwear. My wooly was kinda weird 'till I got an Aero skin to go under it. The skin is really slippery, so I move under the suit & undergarments. If you're wearing the poly ones, they fit closer (I don't have 'em, purely what I was told) and don't bind up on you like a wooly might. If it's uncomfortable, just pump a little more air in the suit and less in the BC. I usually don't notice mine (trilam & wooly) and I'd expect it to be a tad less comfortable than the neoprene or crushed neoprene suits. A good squeeze will wake you right up, eventually. ;-)

More food for thought...

Try a few different suits on in advance or borrow one for a pool session from one of the other folks in the area. Up in the PNW, shops ought to have 'em for rent. They're not real popular here in Phoenix, except for us crazies. It's about a 3 hour drive to Seattle, and I know there's several SDers down there. Sandy doesn't have as easy of a time, as Houston is probably another hard place to find drysuits. I think there's all of 3 suits on the shelf in Phoenix, between 10 shops. I did a LOT of reading on SB and other forums, and asked a bundle of questions before I jumped in a bought one.

#40 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

can't speak for every shop, but every one i've been to won't let you rent a drysuit unless you have the card.

they don't care if you want to buy one, but renting one, yeah.

i took a class.

it got me out to do a few dives, and let me check out the whole drysuit thing before buying one.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#41 Rob underwater

Rob underwater

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Have a dive or two

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

Try a few different styles before you buy. What works for one may not be for you. Dry-suits are an expensive purchase and I would hate for you to have buyer's remorse..... :welcome:

You'll be able to make an informed decision when you finally do buy. I wish someone had told me this before I bought one....anyhoo.
Cheers,
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users