• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is there such a thing as a "New Age" man?

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#91 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

All right now it's time to chill!
This topic is as loaded as a 12 ga. power head, on a three band panther spear gun.
Men are simple creatures.
Too dumb to lie and too timid to steal.
We do what they know to do, after that they are making it up as they go along.
We will stay on the porch if the food is good and the fence is high.
We are like dogs.
Simple commands work best.
Don't ask what we did 6 months ago we can't remember what we had for breakfast.
Yes dear, is a safe answer .
Pulling something out of the closet and asking "does this make me look ...?"
Is unfair you already knew the answer before you asked. all we can do is get in trouble.
When we fall in love we are totallly committed.
The hard part is staying in love.
Passion and needs, two very different but necessay components to a relationship.
A gentel touch sets your heart afire.
An afront to your lady makes you draw cold steel and command a apoligy.
There is something to be said for the sound a sharpened rapier cutting throught the air, only to be exceeded by sound of a round being chambered into a pump action shot gun.
You have their undivided attention.

pm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#92 Taniwha

Taniwha

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:56

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:10 AM

Ok, everybody calm down and be nice. :P I know this is a subject that can get people testy. I had to read the latest posts and then leave for awhile so I wouldn't throw some "off the cuff" responses up here that I would wish I hadn't later.

First of all, Perrone, you crack me up, man! Some of the things you say are so "me" I'd have thought I said them.

I'm new here...can somebody tell me what DIR is, so I can laugh too?

There's a lot to be said for pm's post (albeit a little radical near the end). And here's my thought: I believe that most women don't really know the power they have over the emotions of men. Most of us are generally just puppy dogs. You scratch us behind the ears (and maybe other places), and we're happy and loving and will slobber all over your face (and maybe other places). *can I say that?*

That being the case, why is it us that has to ask for the date/dance, and, in turn, take the chance of rejection? In my case, I've been rejected enough. I hesitate to ask anymore. I have asked women to join me for a dinner, been turned down, then seen the same woman having fun with some crack-head. Is it my choices? Probably, but when nice women are impossible to find (not that they aren't out there, just that they are not "out" there, except in unapproachable groups), what choices do I have?

Nice women have to be available for nice men to meet them. Where do you go? Starbucks? Is that a good place to find a date? I've see some of your photos, and you're not pseudo-intellectual Gothics with dyed-black hair, so that can't be you. I don't know...get more flirty. Let me know you're interested. And then, once you've scared me off, if you see me again, do it again. I'll get the message. You don't have to hit me on the head three, maybe four times! :diver:

Cheers,
Doug
When your heart is full, try using your head.

#93 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:00 AM

PLEASE>>>>>don't judge all women by Twinklez...as I know you don;t want to be juged by " all other men"... I for one don't think that she has near the grasp on the "whole" that she beleives she has.....and yes I know I am stepping forward and maybe on...but we all have a voice and don';t need others to speak for us as individuals or as a group... so...if you want to know who I AM...talk to me.... if you wish to learn more about ....whoever talk to them.....don;t assume one voice speaks for another...

Finley, never once did I speak for anyone else! If you'll read the post you'll see that I clearly said "Here's how it works for me:"!!!! Not us, not women, and definately not you!

I don't recall anybody asking for your opinion of my grasp and I'm sure you don't want me sharing my opinion of yours! I'd appreciate in the future if you would keep your comments about specific individuals, especially me, to yourself.

Whoa..Tina..first...since this is an open board...all opinions are asked for secondly,.you are very forth coming with your opinions....and yes it did appear that you were speaking "for women" and that others were interpreting it that way...I wanted all readers (including you) to know that I did not agree ....just as there are others I have not agreed with and they with me....that is what DISCUSSION is all about. I don't take any of it personally..for very few people on SD know me personally I have to assume it is all general discussion..I truly did not intend to "incite a riot" :diver:
who's leading this parade anyway?

#94 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:13 AM

PLEASE>>>>>don't judge all women by Twinklez...as I know you don;t want to be juged by " all other men"... I for one don't think that she has near the grasp on the "whole" that she beleives she has.....and yes I know I am stepping forward and maybe on...but we all have a voice and don';t need others to speak for us as individuals or as a group... so...if you want to know who I AM...talk to me.... if you wish to learn more about ....whoever talk to them.....don;t assume one voice speaks for another...

Finley, never once did I speak for anyone else! If you'll read the post you'll see that I clearly said "Here's how it works for me:"!!!! Not us, not women, and definately not you!

I don't recall anybody asking for your opinion of my grasp and I'm sure you don't want me sharing my opinion of yours! I'd appreciate in the future if you would keep your comments about specific individuals, especially me, to yourself.

Whoa..Tina..first...since this is an open board...all opinions are asked for secondly,.you are very forth coming with your opinions....and yes it did appear that you were speaking "for women" and that others were interpreting it that way...I wanted all readers (including you) to know that I did not agree ....just as there are others I have not agreed with and they with me....that is what DISCUSSION is all about. I don't take any of it personally..for very few people on SD know me personally I have to assume it is all general discussion..I truly did not intend to "incite a riot" :diver:

I'll repeat myself, I'd appreciate in the future if you would keep your comments about specific individuals, especially me, to yourself. I am not the topic!

Me stating at the beginning of my previous post "This is how it works for me could not have more clear, and Perrone, the person to whom I was replying clarified that he understood that. I suggest you take a little more time to read the post thoroughly before slamming someone with your opinion of them rather than the topic! That is what discussion in this forum is all about!

Edited by Twinklez, 06 February 2006 - 06:23 AM.

#95 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:15 AM

Perrone,

You have missed MANY of the Protocols for DIR Dating & Partying...you are, of course, forgiven due to your recent arrival...please study the Below noted...

http://tinyurl.com/dqk2a

also, please the following lengthy and exaustive essay...

"DIR - Doing it right

I converted to DIR about 6 months ago and I have found that the philosophy extends way beyond diving. I think most people tend to view DIR as a gear configuration or diving objective type of thing but it really is a philosophy that you can use in other parts of your life. For instance, below are just some of the ways I've extended the DIR way of doing things into other areas of my life.

Last week some of my buddies came over to my house. Now, not all of them are divers but they do understand the DIR philosophy. So, first off, we all drink the same beer. This avoids any situations where you might be enjoying a lager and accidentally pick up an ale (or the other way around). That can be very uncool. That could quickly lead to a panic situation so we avoid it all together. We also drink only from cans, no bottles. And we never put the beer in the refrigerator. It always goes in the ice chest in my living room. 47% of Drinking Related Incidents (DRI) occur when someone is going to the fridge for another beer so better to be safe than sorry. Of course, this is all rigged up while we're still 100% sober so there's no impaired judgment once things get cooking. All of us wear a bungee necklace with a full beer on it just in case someone experiences an Out Of Beer (OOB) emergency. I can offer my already opened beer to my buddy and simply reach down and grab the backup off my beer necklace. And, without exception, we always use the 7-foot hose on the beer bong.

Of course, we don't stay in every night so when we do decide to go out we make sure we're still DIR. All of us wear exactly the same clothing:

Levi's 501 Jeans (button hole, straight leg)
Gap Black T-shirt
Haynes boxer shorts, black
Gold Toe socks, black
Kenneth Cole shoes, Brad Bitt style
G-Shock watch, black band
Nylon belt, black, with military buckle
Black Leather Jacket (optional, depending on weather conditions)

This may sound a bit silly or overdone but believe me, when you're
penetrating a night club, knowing exactly what your buddies are dressed like can make all the difference in the world if you're hoping to snag some hottie. Let's say I see some cutie and just before I get up to go talk to her a waitress spills a drink in my lap? No problem, because I can always swap pants with my buddy. I don't have to worry if they match, because I know he's wearing Levi's 501's. Bam, swap pants and I can still complete my objective.

One thing to keep in mind about nightclubs is that you seldom want to
penetrate a club on beer. I know, some of the macho jerks do this and brag to all of their buddies. Believe me, it's not DIR. You have to do it on mixed drinks. Obviously the mix will be different on different nights but a good vodka tonic mix is pretty standard. Again, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. You can't just order any old vodka or depend on some bartender to get the mix right. That's what the strokes do. No, you order Stoli vodka, which has an excellent reputation in the DIR partying community. The correct blend is 2oz Stoli with tonic water poured over ice in a highball glass (lemon or lime optional). I always bring a testing kit with me and if the blend is off, I send it back. It's just not worth the risk and it's not DIR.

So you penetrate the nightclub and you've got a good mix, now it's time to meet the ladies. I should have said this earlier but watch your drink consumption. It's a well-known fact that women look 25% - 30% better in a nightclub and if you get all narced up on vodka tonic, it increases your chances of a coyote ugly blackout. You have to keep your wits about you.

If it's early, you probably have pretty good viz. Later in the evening when the smoke silts up the room it'll be harder to make out the women on the other side of the club so get your headings early. On a few occasions I've had to bust out the wreck reel just to get to the bathroom and back.

If you are lucky enough to hook up with a nice hottie, this is when doing it right really can pay off. Now, let's face it, there's a certain degree of danger involved here that I don't want to downplay. You need to minimize your risks by using the proper equipment. I carry 2 condoms. One I put on .. . well you know, and the second I put on a bungee that goes around my waist. If there's a malfunction on my primary, I can quickly go to my backup without skipping a beat.

So, as you can see from these pretty basic examples, DIR is not just for diving. It's something you can use in all areas of your life.

Keep it real.

No Author Listed"

:diver:

nhb

wow.....tough thread....... almost sounds like a DIR argument......

i'll have to think about this......and read the whole thread

LOL!!

DIR "Guide to Dating"

Rule 1: Don't date strokes.

#96 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

Interesting...THIS is a familiar story...change the sexes around, and you have one of MY stories...

nhb

Ok guys listen up! Here's how it works for me:

I meet someone I'm interested. I determine if he sparks my interest, meets my needs. Then I determine whether or not I think I will be "good enough" for him! Bad thing to do I know...but that little voice in my head...well. I mean "dang...look at that six pack and those arms; wow intelligent too! No way he'd be interested in a 45-yr old woman who can no longer have children, is a few lbs overweight and has morning breath when she wakes up." We beat ourselves up just as much as you guys do. Oh, but wait...I'm not done. "Damn he's talking to her. I'd pick her over me anyday. They're smiling and laughing, he's giving her a shoulder massage! Forget it...move one girl, he's not gonna be interested in you." So, say you manage to get past those humps, and he does look your way, even laughs and smiles with you and then maybe even says he's like to talk more sometime. You exchange numbers or emails. You don't want to look eager so you wait...he should be the one to make contact first right? And you wait. Maybe he's thinking the same thing. Maybe days down the road one of you breaks and does call or email, maybe. The other doesn't want to seem to eager...or maybe is even upset that it took soooo long he or she now feels that you aren't truly interested or maybe even that you have too much on your plate already. Another hump, but you get past it. He's charming, he's witty, he's a gentleman, he's available, he's employed, and he's interested in you! Wow...there's only one thing to do! Run like hell because you know darn well you're going to get your heart broke!!! Then there's the battle inside...give him a chance, no way not worth the heart ache, just one date, huh been there done that, .... If you manage to get past that one date then the waiting game of who's going to call who first starts all over again.

I don't know how many will admit it, but I bet my scenario sounds all too familiar to many out there. We need confidence in ourselves, we need faith, we need to trust in others, and we need to never give up hope; because we are worth it!

#97 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

Finley- agree with Tina on this. She clearly stated at the onset that what she posted was HER opinion. You may disagree with it, and state YOUR opinion and even critique hers in your post, but the way your reply started out seemed too targeted towards her and critical of what SHE believes in her own experience. I don't think one can really disagree with one person's opinion in the sense of stating it is "wrong." It is their opinion, not universal truth. Each of us is entitled to our own opinions. Of course it is clear that those who disagree with mine are simply wrong!

#98 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

Doug,

Again, you speak POWERFULLY about the plight of Today's Nice Guys... :P At my age, I'm in a notch so to speak...raised in the 50's as a Southern Gentlemen (with the Good & BAD that entails), lived thru the Love times of the 70's, allied myself with the Women's Movement, now in a Quandry as to the New Rules...

Thanks!
Norm

There's a lot to be said for pm's post (albeit a little radical near the end). And here's my thought: I believe that most women don't really know the power they have over the emotions of men. Most of us are generally just puppy dogs. You scratch us behind the ears (and maybe other places), and we're happy and loving and will slobber all over your face (and maybe other places). *can I say that?*

That being the case, why is it us that has to ask for the date/dance, and, in turn, take the chance of rejection? In my case, I've been rejected enough. I hesitate to ask anymore. I have asked women to join me for a dinner, been turned down, then seen the same woman having fun with some crack-head. Is it my choices? Probably, but when nice women are impossible to find (not that they aren't out there, just that they are not "out" there, except in unapproachable groups), what choices do I have?

Nice women have to be available for nice men to meet them. Where do you go? Starbucks? Is that a good place to find a date? I've see some of your photos, and you're not pseudo-intellectual Gothics with dyed-black hair, so that can't be you. I don't know...get more flirty. Let me know you're interested. And then, once you've scared me off, if you see me again, do it again. I'll get the message. You don't have to hit me on the head three, maybe four times! :diver:

Cheers,
Doug

#99 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:53 AM

To quote an American comedian (Bill Engvall??) all men want is "a beer and something nekkid". I dunno how that will contribute.... :diver:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#100 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:23 AM

Doug,

Again, you speak POWERFULLY about the plight of Today's Nice Guys... :banghead: At my age, I'm in a notch so to speak...raised in the 50's as a Southern Gentlemen (with the Good & BAD that entails), lived thru the Love times of the 70's, allied myself with the Women's Movement, now in a Quandry as to the New Rules...

Thanks!
Norm

Nice women have to be available for nice men to meet them. Where do you go? Starbucks? Is that a good place to find a date? I've see some of your photos, and you're not pseudo-intellectual Gothics with dyed-black hair, so that can't be you. I don't know...get more flirty. Let me know you're interested. And then, once you've scared me off, if you see me again, do it again. I'll get the message. You don't have to hit me on the head three, maybe four times! :thankyou:

Cheers,
Doug

because we have been taught that the man asks..and calls...etc...nice girls don't "throw themselves" at men....even the most current literature syas...if he don't call...he just aint into you"...so we nice girls sit and wait and YES tell ourselves, we're too fat...have too many freckles...if we were just this or that.....see yall say you don't undersatnd us but obviously a few of you do...

#101 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:49 AM

Whoa..Tina..first...since this is an open board...all opinions are asked for secondly,.you are very forth coming with your opinions....and yes it did appear that you were speaking "for women" and that others were interpreting it that way...I wanted all readers (including you) to know that I did not agree ....just as there are others I have not agreed with and they with me....that is what DISCUSSION is all about. I don't take any of it personally..for very few people on SD know me personally I have to assume it is all general discussion..I truly did not intend to "incite a riot" :thankyou:

Finley- agree with Tina on this. She clearly stated at the onset that what she posted was HER opinion. You may disagree with it, and state YOUR opinion and even critique hers in your post, but the way your reply started out seemed too targeted towards her and critical of what SHE believes in her own experience. I don't think one can really disagree with one person's opinion in the sense of stating it is "wrong." It is their opinion, not universal truth. Each of us is entitled to our own opinions. Of course it is clear that those who disagree with mine are simply wrong!

You are absolutely right...opinions cannot be right or wrong....just different. And I was not targeting her at all...merely stating that all women don't neccesarily hold true to her thoughts and beliefs...and that maybe her interpretations of others was not "on the mark"....like you said just my opinion....as far as yur statement "agree with Tina on this" I don;t know exactly what you refer to...there are many things that I do agree with...just not the one issue where it sounded as though she was interpreting and speaking for others ...
and as a PS...there are some that dare to disagree with Dr.Bill ????:banghead:

dr.bill....\

after rereading my post that seemed to raise so many cackles...it is very obvious that I should have spent more time rereading it the first time...and it should have stated please don;t jusdge all women by Twinklez's thought etc... and then it went on to saywhy...we are different.etc....

Edited by finley, 06 February 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#102 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Doug,

Welcome to the World of Legend & Revisionist History... :thankyou:

In the early-mid days (70's-'80's) of Cave Diving, Bill Hogarth Main began a developmental series of protocols that became called Hogarthianism, later known also as DIR; Doing It Right...the DIR concept concerned itself with safety, streamlining, minimalism, and universal acceptance...later it was co-opted by Commercial interests, who attempted to alter it's original gentle purpose into a Marketing Tool...OTOH, I'm sure Perrone will have a different take... :banghead:

http://www.scubaboar...hp/t-97273.html offers some other opinions and discussion...PM if you want more info...

Norm

I'm new here...can somebody tell me what DIR is, so I can laugh too?

Doug

#103 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

:thankyou: Uh..... I just make a couple of comments about Bad Boys and girls who like them......I need to figure how to unsubscribe to this thread....my mailbox is filling up with the notifications every day....LOL

I just wanna go diving... this thread...well.....:banghead:

Edited by Travelnsj, 06 February 2006 - 02:50 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#104 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

Truth is truth.

.the DIR concept concerned itself with safety, streamlining, minimalism, and universal acceptance...later it was co-opted by Commercial interests, who attempted to alter it's original gentle purpose into a Marketing Tool...OTOH, I'm sure Perrone will have a different take... :thankyou:

#105 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:01 PM

Have you considered NOT subscribing to the Notifications?? AFAIR, it is just a checkbox away! :lmao:

nhb

:thankyou: Uh..... I just make a couple of comments about Bad Boys and girls who like them......I need to figure how to unsubscribe to this thread....my mailbox is filling up with the notifications every day.

I just wanna go diving... this thread...well.....:banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users