• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Freaky Friday

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 piscesgirl

piscesgirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Supervisor
  • Logged Dives:Stopped logging years ago, but at least 100

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

Yup, that's definitely creepy. I live on 2nd floor in two story building, so tree branches scraping the roof sometimes sound like someone walking around up there. Not good to hear when watching a scary movie alone late at night. Don't know why I do that....guess I love getting scared. :cheerleader:
OH WHATEVER!!

#62 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

I once ate a rattlesnake. Ordered it at an exotic food restaurant, and paid a hefty price for it. I was cheated, 'cause when it was served, all they gave me was the "neck"!
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#63 piscesgirl

piscesgirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Supervisor
  • Logged Dives:Stopped logging years ago, but at least 100

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

I once ate a rattlesnake. Ordered it at an exotic food restaurant, and paid a hefty price for it. I was cheated, 'cause when it was served, all they gave me was the "neck"!

I've had rattlesnake too!! In a casserole. I was told it was white meat chicken. Then after I ate it, they told me what it really was. Managed to keep it down though. :banghead:
OH WHATEVER!!

#64 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

hey Brad, good to see you flying your freak flag... :2cool:

BIG HUGE BROWN SPIDERS are taking over my house right now. Now don't get me wrong, I actually think spiders are pretty darn cool, but these things are HUGE!! I have no clue what kind of spiders they are - anyone on SD know a bit about spiders? If so, I'll describe these for you.....*shudder*

Ahhh...the lowly arachnid. What a chore to be born (hatched) with eight legs, when all the other cool insects have six. Actually, spiders only became carnivores after some smart mouth insect said "Eat me!" to a spider. And the rest is history. (sigh!) :bam:

Your spiders up in the NorthWest are very likely a common household pest variety. If you can give me some dimensions, any unique markings, finish (hairy/smooth), color variations, I can probably find the proper name. But you can do this yourself easily by going to the following site:

http://www.termite.c...tification.html

Another cool site is: http://www.arachnolo...rachnology.html

Likely you'll find your critter. If not, drop me a PM and I'll call my ARACHNOLOGIST colleges for advice. If you do ID him, let the rest of us know his name.

Meanwhile, take comfort in these ten spider facts:

1) ALL spiders are venomous, just to different degrees.
2) A spider will bite you for no reason, because they are quite sensitive, and easily offended.
3) Never let a spider crawl all the way up your leg, or down the back of your neck.
4) NEVER look a spider directly in their compound eyes! You'll look like a crowd and they may stampede!
5) The two most common spider names are "Betty" and "Howard".
6) You are never more than six feet from a spider, on land.
7) A spider is difficult to poison because it walks on the very tips of its spindly legs. (and...they don't trust strangers with free drinks!)
8) No human has ever been completely devoured by a spider.
9) If a spider was as big as a small dog...we'd all be in some kind of really deep trouble.
10) Humans are inherently afraid of spiders because they don't have lips. (the spiders, that is...)

I hope this has been of some comfort and solice to you and I remain at your beck and call.

"Ceph"

Edited by Cephalopod, 31 August 2006 - 07:34 PM.

"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#65 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

Meanwhile, take comfort in these ten spider facts:

2) A spider will bite you for no reason, because they are quite sensitive, and easily offended.
3) Never let a spider crawl all the way up your leg, or down the back of your neck.
4) NEVER look a spider directly in their compound eyes! You'll look like a crowd and they may stampede!
7) A spider is difficult to poison because it walks on the very tips of its spindly legs. (and...they don't trust strangers with free drinks!)
9) If a spider was as big as a small dog...we'd all be in some kind of really deep trouble.
10) Humans are inherently afraid of spiders because they don't have lips. (the spiders, that is...)

Boy when I read #8 I thought to myself...*phew* :P

So last night in the dark moving down the hall I froze seeing a huge mass of spindly hairy legs. It didn't move - I didn't move. Isn't that unnerving, you look at a spider and it stops moving because IT SEES YOU LOOKING AT IT! :-D I tired of my spider standoff and finally flipped the lights to deal with the monster and realized it was just a pile of frayed thread! I'm such a dork! :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#66 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

...I tired of my spider standoff and finally flipped the lights to deal with the monster and realized it was just a pile of frayed thread!

What was the thread frayed of?

PlatypusMan
...arachnid, schmaknid...where's the bar?

#67 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:57 AM

I hope this has been of some comfort and solice to you and I remain at your beck and call.

"Ceph"

I hate to rain on your parade in relation to no.s 8 & 9 but there have been documented sightings of giant red back spiders ranging up to the size of 1m in diamiter (bit over 3 feet for you yanks). I have to stress it is unconfirmed but it's a big country down here and anything is possible.

You guys still want to visit??? :2cool:

#68 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:03 AM

"Ceph"

I hate to rain on your parade in relation to no.s 8 & 9 but there have been documented sightings of giant red back spiders ranging up to the size of 1m in diamiter (bit over 3 feet for you yanks). I have to stress it is unconfirmed but it's a big country down here and anything is possible.

You guys still want to visit??? :2cool:

Sure--not too many spiders on Ningaloo or the GBR, right?

PlatypusMan
...we now return to our regularly scheduled mating activities...

#69 PiscesDiver

PiscesDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9+

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

I agree with most of ya'll:
Ticks, Clowns, Dolls, baby spiders spilling out of a squashed momma spider, flying roaches, pets looking freaked out when you can't figure out what they are seeing, weird noises at night, fishing stuff out of drains.

I can't stand to watch the movie Jackass when they are giving Steve-o papercuts to his eyelids & between his toes - those guys are twisted. Or when people cough/sneeze and don't cover their mouth. ICK! Also - dirty bathrooms - you feel like you don't want to touch anything! Oh, and Katydids - one screamed at me once and I screamed right back!

#70 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

Unfortunate for me, this week I caught the Animal Planet episode: Eaten Alive: Parasites and Their Human Hosts!!! This episode showcases traveler recounts of the most unbelievable but true tales about their nightmare close encounters with parasites. I watched a surgery snippet where they delicately removed a liquid filled sack of parasitic worms from the abdomen of a person. The sack was the size of a small mellon! Posted Image

Lucky for you all - I found out the episode re-airs on the Animal Plaent tomorrow at noon and Sunday at 6pm!

Click here for a disturbing recount from a leech host... :banghead:

Travelers - get those shots, use mosquito repellant, and for goodness sakes learn what water is safe to drink!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#71 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Suni Williams' hair freaks me out!

Actually, it cracks me up. Her long hair in zero G looks like Albert Einstein in a lightning storm. Check out Nasa TV next time they're airing the video downlink from the ISS. Her hair is a real hoot!

Cheers!

Jim

Edited by jholley309, 29 December 2006 - 11:57 AM.

Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#72 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

Ever noticed the coolest song on a CD seems to always be Track No. 7?

#73 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

Aggressive, distracted, and just plain crappy drivers freak me out. :lmao:

And for some reason, they all seem to live in Duluth, GA; almost got taken out by some chick, yakking on her cellphone which was perched precariously on the shoulder while she was apparently doing her nails (no kidding). Five minutes later, another bozo wedged himself in front of me as he was coming out of a parking lot, even though there was obviously not enough room for him to get in there. Even had the nerve to flip me off, as if I had done something wrong.

Then, on the way back to Macon on I-75, driving in the far right lane at 5 mph below the speed limit to make it easier for all the rat-racing idiots to get around me, a tow truck decides to tailgate for a few miles, flashing his headlights at me. When he finally did decide to go around, he cut back in so close that the end of the rollback bed actually crossed the hood of my van. Called the state patrol on that one.

Yep. Non-driving a^%@(%&s really freak me out.

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#74 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

So go figure it is a Friday and the 13th...I woke up this morning after dreaming about zombies. In my dream my zombies were a heck of lot harder to kill and they didn't moan and groan, they talked. They not only talked, they taunted you by letting you know how hard it was going to be to kill them. Yep, that's what's in my head...kind of freaky... :teeth:

dive girl to zombie - THWACK!
zombie to dive girl "You know you are going to have to hit a lot harder than that."
dive girl to zombie - "Really?"
zombie to dive girl "Yeah."
dive girl to zombie - "Well this isn't anything like the movies. This sucks!"

#75 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

Happy Friday 13th! I am unable to handle when people drive with the wipers on and it's not raining... and as I found out this mornong, even if it is in the car in front of me.....I turned...
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users