• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Freaky Friday

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

Well I can handle most creepy crawleys. I have survived a beig bitten by a 6' King Brown snake, and tipped many a spider and centipeed out of my boots in the morning. However waking up in the moring with a scorpion in my swag gave me a bit of a turn.

What freaks me out is other peoples body spit. You spit in my face and I am just as likely to hurl on your shoes. Blood I can handle but another persons saliva will turn be a loverly shade of green.

#32 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:49 AM

Snakes! Especially snakes at dive sites!!!!! :P

Guess we won't see you here in Oz any time soon. We have 7 of the top 10 deadliest snakes down here.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#33 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

Not true! Have been in the process of rescheduling my OZ trip for the end of the year!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#34 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

Not true! Have been in the process of rescheduling my OZ trip for the end of the year!

My offer to carry your bags, be your tank sherpa and divemeister for beer still stands!!! :P
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#35 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

When and where?

and will they accept additional people?
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#36 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:03 PM

Game theads on message boards

#37 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

Spiders!! Big Hairy crawly spiders.. I hate those
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#38 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:17 PM

ANYTHING eaten on Fear Factor!! Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#39 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

ANYTHING eaten on Fear Factor!! Posted Image

How bout Fear Factor itself??

I've watched it once and got so grossed out that I've never watched it again

#40 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

People in the entertainment business who think they have a grasp on reality freak me out! Especially "reality" show producers...

:D

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#41 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

PALMETTO BUGS!

I used to live in Atlanta. I remember one of my first summers there my roommate and I had our townhouse door open on a nice hot Summer evening sipping some red wine and enjoying the weather when all of a sudden something flew into the house. Something BIG.

I said "Holy cow, did you see that!?? I think a bird just flew in the house!"

My roommate rolled off the couch laughing so hard. "That's no bird!! That's a Palmetto bug!"

"WHAT!!??? What the heck is that!?"

"A cockroach with wings!!!"

"NO WAY!"

"WAY"

Aaaaaaaackkkkk!

Summary description of a Palmetto Bug description:

Palmetto Bugs are the largest of all roaches that infest homes growing up to 3". Now remember, these cockroaches FLY! And it gets worse, Palmetto Bugs aren't afraid of the light and they are more armored than a regular cockroach. How's that for gaaaack? Posted Image

#42 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

PALMETTO BUGS!

Palmetto Bugs are the largest of all roaches that infest homes growing up to 3". Now remember, these cockroaches FLY! And it gets worse, Palmetto Bugs aren't afraid of the light and they are more armored than a regular cockroach. How's that for gaaaack?

Ummm, how about shooting a 2" one on a wall at chest height with a .22cal pellet gun at point-blank range, then picking pieces out of your beard, hair and clothes for the next few minutes? Thankfully I had my mouth shut when I pulled the trigger, so I didn't have to find out if they taste like chicken...

(not half as bright as I thought I was)

Or waking up feeling lousy and flu-ish, only to find out that a clutch of black widow spider eggs had hatched outside your bedroom window overnight, and you're now covered with bunches of bites and baby spiders? The shower got 'em off of *me*, but I stayed in a motel for the next several days while the toxins got the rest of 'em in my bedroom. I was more than a little uncomfortable sleeping in ANY bed for the next few months.

I won't go into the after-effects of brown recluse spider bites (saw it, wasn't on me). Scorpion stings and other nasties aren't anything in comparison.

Hmmm. Getting bit in the palm of the hand by a tarantula 'cos blowing on it finally managed to annoy it sufficiently?

Taking a two-day hike up to an old AZ ghost town in late Spring, only to find out it's a MAJOR spawning ground for Western Diamondback rattlesnakes, maybe?

Move to the desert, and you can enjoy ALL THIS and more! Admittedly, out of bunches of hikes over 30+ years time, I only saw ONE Gila Monster, and very rarely saw any rattlers. Except for the scorpions, most of the dangerous wildlife has the decency to avoid the cities. I've been hit by at least 3 scorpions that I saw, different home each time. If there's any bugs, there's bound to be scorpions.

Oh, and bring your small dogs in at night, if you're on the outskirts of town or near a wash or river. It's suprizing how far into town the coyotes come. I saw one loping down the street with a cat or small dog in it's jaws. Sorry, Fluffy!

#43 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:43 PM

Okay, since it's officially Friday in the Eastern time zone, I'll kick off this weeks' festivities:

Fish cooked and served whole (heads, eyes, skin, everything) freak me out!

YEECCCCHHHH!

:)

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#44 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

Ditto on the spiders. Needles freak me out, or I should say syringes - after 15 piercings and 5 tattoos, the needle doesn't bother me.

I share the spider (as we discovered in Grenada - ever seen two grown adults stop dead in their tracks in a rum distillery before and decide that they don't need to go any further?) and needle fear with you Hawk! I haven't had a vacination since I was 6 and the last time I had dental work done I was under general! :o

#45 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

Biting into something that is supposed to be soft and finding something oddly chewey! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users