• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: Labor Day Weekend will be a Singles Fantasy...Sept 2-9

• Please log in to reply
1389 replies to this topic

#1321 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

I'm sure this travel tip has already occurred to all the seasoned singledivers, but I got this suggestion from my hairdresser and thought I'd pass it along. She said to scan in your passport pages and send them in an e-mail to yourself that can be retrieved if you lose your passport.

Arrgh then a good modern pirate can usurp ye image and information fo they own ill gotten gains. Better tos save to secure business server to which you have access, or a flash drive or sd card which can be secured in your possessions (with password if necessary) or leave a copy that can be faxed to you if the need arises.

Generally a good idea to have backup but email is not secure.

Capt ID theft

My only qualification for someone stealing my id is that they steal all of it, including my debts.

#1322 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

I'm sure this travel tip has already occurred to all the seasoned singledivers, but I got this suggestion from my hairdresser and thought I'd pass it along. She said to scan in your passport pages and send them in an e-mail to yourself that can be retrieved if you lose your passport.

Arrgh then a good modern pirate can usurp ye image and information fo they own ill gotten gains. Better tos save to secure business server to which you have access, or a flash drive or sd card which can be secured in your possessions (with password if necessary) or leave a copy that can be faxed to you if the need arises.

Capt ID theft

I have to agree - not a good idea. In the Navy, we are not allowed to e-mail SSNs or any medical information if it is attached to a name.

Glad, I put it out there... never can tell what lurks inside of an apparently practical idea. Come to think of it, my hairdresser is Russian, and her name is Natasha (or something like that) maybe part of plot to steal American id's, better call Moose and Squirrel...

OK ... The Moose and Squirrel thing made me crack up :-D Doesn't take much does it? I can't wait to meet everyone, you ALL sound like really fun people...
I think I'll go start packing now... Yes, I said start... :)

Karen

Karen~

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

#1323 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

Capt ID theft

I have to agree - not a good idea. In the Navy, we are not allowed to e-mail SSNs or any medical information if it is attached to a name.

Glad, I put it out there... never can tell what lurks inside of an apparently practical idea. Come to think of it, my hairdresser is Russian, and her name is Natasha (or something like that) maybe part of plot to steal American id's, better call Moose and Squirrel...

OK ... The Moose and Squirrel thing made me crack up :-D Doesn't take much does it? I can't wait to meet everyone, you ALL sound like really fun people...
I think I'll go start packing now... Yes, I said start... :)

Karen

I actually started packing already. A first for me. My dive gear has been packed since Sunday and my camera is already to go. I took Friday off even though I don't fly till like 2200 that night. I might actually have time to get my nails done or something :fish:
"

#1324 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

For all the organized types out there, I would really appreciate a packing list! Just to see if there's anything I'm forgetting.

Also, has anyone obtained lempiras from their bank? If so, was it difficult?

#1325 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

Packing list??

I usually pack at the last minute and have no idea what I'm going to be wearing until I get there and upack!! My dive gear is kept organized in the garage for easy packing even for a local dive to make sure I don't show up without something important - so that was easy.

I will convert $$ at the airport when I get there.
"

#1326 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Don't bother converting money, the locals all know the exchange rate, about 20 to 1USD and many places post the prices in dollars, the one exception seems to be the taxi drivers who like in the US don't speak English.
Official rate today per XE.com is:
1.00 USD United States Dollars = 18.8936 HNL Honduras Lempiras

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 30 August 2006 - 01:52 PM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#1327 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

For all the organized types out there, I would really appreciate a packing list! Just to see if there's anything I'm forgetting.

Don't bother converting money, the locals all know the exchange rate, about 20 to 1USD and many places post the prices in dollars, the one exception seems to be the taxi drivers who like in the US don't speak English.

I'm with him... Didn't plan on converting US dollars to Limpiras either... I usually do go to the currency conversion site and print out a pocket size "travel cheat sheet" that converts the current exchange rate for you... That way you at least have that with you, so you know what you are paying...
Karen

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
Karen~

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

#1328 scubaguyd

scubaguyd

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:Navy Diver, PADI-Divemaster, NAUI-Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

for me delicate beauty boatlawyer, ye can vist me site http://www.scubaguyd.com Look for the link < packing List > It is .pdf format. Sent from PADI Travel Network

#1329 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

for me delicate beauty boatlawyer, ye can vist me site http://www.scubaguyd.com Look for the link < packing List > It is .pdf format. Sent from PADI Travel Network

Thank you scubaguyd, that was arrrrrsome.

#1330 AirHead

AirHead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Theresa… you just kill me. First it was “Moose and Squirrel” and now it is “arrrrrsome"
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#1331 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

Well the first week back at classes has been... interesting. I might have to get that underwater housing for my laptop just so I can keep up! :welcome: I have 3 cases due the week I'm away, so will try to get as much done on those before I leave so my teams don't want to kill me. :bam:

I will have some books with me and will have to reserve some study time each day. But I will have fun! :D

I can't wait, I need to get out of here so bad! 15.5 credit hours is a lot! :lmao: But I realize this is voluntary tourture! :P

:welcome:

#1332 CA Blade

CA Blade

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water/NITROX
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

I'm with him... Didn't plan on converting US dollars to Limpiras either... I usually do go to the currency conversion site and print out a pocket size "travel cheat sheet" that converts the current exchange rate for you... That way you at least have that with you, so you know what you are paying...
Karen

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

I'm glad you posted a link to the money converter site. :welcome: I was almost ready to brag about my world traveler knowledge, and say it was only two to one... but I was thinking Belizian dollars... which is a whole 'nother trip, in December. 20 to 1 it is, for Lempira.

...and yes, everyone local will know the exchange rate, and give you prices within 10% or so of it. You would need to do a lot of cash transactions before it make sense to change money. If you just want local currency for a keepsake, you can figure you'll get enough in change. Local merchants take dollars, but you'll usually get Lempira back. Use your change at the next place, if you want to spend Lempira. Whatever Lempira you have left, can be used to pay your exit taxes.

I've never had a problem using up my currency on a vacation. :welcome:
The "pirate name" on my eye patch, was supposed to be a math joke... perhaps a bit too obscure. (Several people mentioned that they hate math. Perhaps they also hate math jokes.)
CA Blade

Pi aren't square, pi are round! Cake are square. (...and perhaps the occasional eye patch)

#1333 CA Blade

CA Blade

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water/NITROX
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

I, on the other hand, am a tech support guy... with all the social skills normally attributed to that occupation. I'm far too petite to be on gear hauing duty. I'll suggest we segregate the Mai Tai fetchers from the DEET Application Speciallists, for fear of poison on the glasses. If I need to put in for a job on the trip, I'd prefer deet duty, or sunscreen slatherer. (If "slatherer" sounds too messy, perhaps that'll limit me to DEET duties.)

Yes, slathering is a word because I slather myself with baby oil after I get out of the shower.
I nominate you for sunscreen slatherer.
:welcome:

Slatherin' duty is one of my favorites. It's even more fun than finger painting, because the canvas wiggles.

Since slatherin' time is not likely to conflict with tank haulin'... I might even help out with the occasional load of gear. (If'n it helps me find dive buddies for the non-boat dives.) That is, I'll help if my tiny, delicate frame can handle the load of those burly AL 80 cylinders. I'm such a hot house flower... a virtual orchid.
The "pirate name" on my eye patch, was supposed to be a math joke... perhaps a bit too obscure. (Several people mentioned that they hate math. Perhaps they also hate math jokes.)
CA Blade

Pi aren't square, pi are round! Cake are square. (...and perhaps the occasional eye patch)

#1334 scubaguyd

scubaguyd

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

Ye be well advised to not stand before the mast on me watch.

arr me capn I stand corrected I rather be keel hauled than stand before ye mast.
and me thinkin blade is already tipping into the grog?

#1335 scubaguyd

scubaguyd

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:31 AM

weighn me capn

checkn 64in - 160cm, 54lbs 24.3kg aye aye

carry on 45in - 112.5cm, 30lbs - 13.5kg aye aye

ready to go dive!

be sure to weigh in! and set your computers to nitrox me beauties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users