• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: Labor Day Weekend will be a Singles Fantasy...Sept 2-9

• Please log in to reply
1389 replies to this topic

#1366 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

I think Pittsburg is inland enough. Shouldn't be too affected. And you're on the later flight out of Houston, so even if your flights delayed a little you should be fine.
"

#1367 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

I think Pittsburg is inland enough. Shouldn't be too affected. And you're on the later flight out of Houston, so even if your flights delayed a little you should be fine.

That's exactly what I'm hoping...
We are getting tons of rain here in OH already, bad enough I have to drive in it most of the day tomorrow...

Karen~

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

#1368 Jellyfishluv

Jellyfishluv

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Board Status:Always on the go
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+ logged

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:46 PM

…Yeah guys, don’t worry about memorizing formulas, that’s not what “they” should want, i.e. PADI, SSI, or NAUI – they should just want you to know how to use the formulas – they should be provided with the exam.

Dive computers! Yes, remembering to set the O2 amount after you’ve checked and marked your tanks is the most important task, and if you are diving both Nitrox & Air on the same day, you may run into the problem I did: After two dives on Nitrox I tried to switch my Sherwood Wisdom computer back to air – no luck. :bam: The no brainer here everyone? Just set your O2 to 21% !!!!!!

:2cool: Now for the fun stuff: NOAA has an “Oxygen Exposure Limits” Table for those diving multiple dives/days on Nitrox. If for example, your PO2 (ATA) for dive #1 equals 1.4, your maximum Single Dive Exposure Limit (in minutes) is 150 and your Max. Total Exposure Duration for any 24 hr period (in Minutes) will be 180 = 3 hours of diving: if you dive 60 min dives that = 3 dives per day max.

How do you reach a 1.4 PO2 (ATA) per dive: use the Oxygen “T” formula: We’ll assume all dives have to be 36% Nitrox

36% Is the fraction of oxygen in the mixture (FO2)
4.03 is total pressure ATA at the max depth (PT): (I assumed 100ft)= (Depth/33) +1 ATA
(PO2) is the product of the bottom two numbers: (FO2xPT)= (.36x4.03=1.45)
So if you dive Nitrox 36% to 100ft you have set your Oxygen Exposure limits to 150 for a single dive (great air consumption if you stay down that long!) but more importantly, you have limited yourself to at total of 180 minutes for the day! (safety measure: we would actually have to round 1.45 up to 1.5 changing our Max Single Dive Exposure to 120 and 180 for 24 hrs, the same Total per day as 1.45 so I used that)

NOAA also has the “Repex Oxygen Exposure” Table & the “Maximum Oxygen Exposure Limits for Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity” Table If we use the above dive example and extend it to the following two tables the first step is to calculate our PO2 in ATM on the “Repex” Table because that is what is used is used (not PO2 in ATA as above), so in the Oxygen “T” formula, 4.03 (PT) is recalculated as follows:
Depth/33=ATM or 100/33=3.03 ATM
Multiply that with the mixture 36% and our PO2 in ATM= 1.09

Next the table pairs up PO2(ATM) with the term oxygen tolerance units (OTU’s). On the “Repex” Table OTU’s are shown per minute. Since the above example gives us a PO2 of 1.09 it is rounded up to 1.10 and our OTU per minute is rounded 1.16.

This OTU is multiplied by the number of minutes per dive so say 60min dive= 1.16x60=69.6 OTU’s per dive.

On the “Max. Oxygen Exposure Limits for Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity” Table we are given: Period (days), Max Daily Dose (OTU) and Total Expose (OTU) for that period.

For six days of diving the Max Daily dose (OTU) is 350= and Total Exposure for 6 days is 2520

Since our (OTU) per 60 minute dive is 69.6 in this example we would calculate how many dives we can do in a day: (350/69.6= 5, 60min dives) and for the six day period (2520/69.06=36, 60 min dives)
I’ve laid out an example in the maximum Nitrox mix we can use as Nitrox divers (36%) and the maximum depth recommended while diving on Nitrox to find out the maximum number of dives we could dive if, this was the scenario.

It is safe to say that we could, if we wanted to, dive 6 or even 7 dives a day if the depth and mix changed. I will not recalculate – I will just use this example as a guide.

THANK GOODNESS FOR DIVE COMPUTERS!!!! :blond:

Edited by Jellyfishluv, 31 August 2006 - 09:54 PM.

:fish2: Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...

#1369 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

THANK GOODNESS FOR DIVE COMPUTERS!!!! :bam:

That last sentence says it all!
"

#1370 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

Alrighty then .....
I will be arriving in Houston at 6:30 am and I'll find a restaurant close to the departing gate for the 10:30 flight to Roatan. If you'd like to join me, call my cell phone and I'll tell you where I am :2cool:
I am soooo looking forward to this vacation :bam:

We'll probably be flying out of Terminal E. They have a food court on the gate level (you'll probably pass it on the way to the gate) and also a Pappadeaux upstairs above the gates.
I'm not bringing a phone, but I wrote down your #. If we don't run in to you, we'll call.
Phyllis

#1371 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:58 AM

…Yeah guys, don’t worry about memorizing formulas, that’s not what “they” should want, i.e. PADI, SSI, or NAUI – they should just want you to know how to use the formulas – they should be provided with the exam.

Dive computers! Yes, remembering to set the O2 amount after you’ve checked and marked your tanks is the most important task, and if you are diving both Nitrox & Air on the same day, you may run into the problem I did: After two dives on Nitrox I tried to switch my Sherwood Wisdom computer back to air – no luck. :bam: The no brainer here everyone? Just set your O2 to 21% !!!!!!

:2cool: Now for the fun stuff: NOAA has an “Oxygen Exposure Limits” Table for those diving multiple dives/days on Nitrox. If for example, your PO2 (ATA) for dive #1 equals 1.4, your maximum Single Dive Exposure Limit (in minutes) is 150 and your Max. Total Exposure Duration for any 24 hr period (in Minutes) will be 180 = 3 hours of diving: if you dive 60 min dives that = 3 dives per day max.

How do you reach a 1.4 PO2 (ATA) per dive: use the Oxygen “T” formula: We’ll assume all dives have to be 36% Nitrox

4.03 is total pressure ATA at the max depth (PT): (I assumed 100ft)= (Depth/33) +1 ATA
So if you dive Nitrox 36% to 100ft you have set your Oxygen Exposure limits to 150 for a single dive (great air consumption if you stay down that long!) but more importantly, you have limited yourself to at total of 180 minutes for the day! (safety measure: we would actually have to round 1.45 up to 1.5 changing our Max Single Dive Exposure to 120 and 180 for 24 hrs, the same Total per day as 1.45 so I used that)

NOAA also has the “Repex Oxygen Exposure” Table & the “Maximum Oxygen Exposure Limits for Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity” Table If we use the above dive example and extend it to the following two tables the first step is to calculate our PO2 in ATM on the “Repex” Table because that is what is used is used (not PO2 in ATA as above), so in the Oxygen “T” formula, 4.03 (PT) is recalculated as follows:

Next the table pairs up PO2(ATM) with the term oxygen tolerance units (OTU’s). On the “Repex” Table OTU’s are shown per minute. Since the above example gives us a PO2 of 1.09 it is rounded up to 1.10 and our OTU per minute is rounded 1.16.

This OTU is multiplied by the number of minutes per dive so say 60min dive= 1.16x60=69.6 OTU’s per dive.

On the “Max. Oxygen Exposure Limits for Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity” Table we are given: Period (days), Max Daily Dose (OTU) and Total Expose (OTU) for that period.

For six days of diving the Max Daily dose (OTU) is 350= and Total Exposure for 6 days is 2520

Since our (OTU) per 60 minute dive is 69.6 in this example we would calculate how many dives we can do in a day: (350/69.6= 5, 60min dives) and for the six day period (2520/69.06=36, 60 min dives)
I’ve laid out an example in the maximum Nitrox mix we can use as Nitrox divers (36%) and the maximum depth recommended while diving on Nitrox to find out the maximum number of dives we could dive if, this was the scenario.

It is safe to say that we could, if we wanted to, dive 6 or even 7 dives a day if the depth and mix changed. I will not recalculate – I will just use this example as a guide.

THANK GOODNESS FOR DIVE COMPUTERS!!!! :blond:

WOW!
Now you're really scaring me...
:o
Karen~

#1372 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:09 AM

OK... who can tell me what I do once I arrive in Roatan???
I'm thinking I better figure this out this morning some time, as I will be heading out on my road trip part of this in a few hours... I'm not sure if I will have access to a computer and the SD site once I'm outta here...
Do I simply look for a Fantasy Island shuttle or will someone be holding a sign of some sort??? Someone??? Anyone???
As far as I know, there will only be three of us coming in on that later flight...

Can't wait to meet everyone... :bam:

Karen

Karen~

#1373 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:28 AM

OK... who can tell me what I do once I arrive in Roatan???
I'm thinking I better figure this out this morning some time, as I will be heading out on my road trip part of this in a few hours... I'm not sure if I will have access to a computer and the SD site once I'm outta here...
Do I simply look for a Fantasy Island shuttle or will someone be holding a sign of some sort??? Someone??? Anyone???
As far as I know, there will only be three of us coming in on that later flight...

Can't wait to meet everyone... :cheerleader:

Karen

Fantasy Island will be there with a bus for you and a truck for your baggage.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#1374 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

...what I do once I arrive in Roatan???

follow Ray :D

my spies tell me a certain wenchie may be on my plane, so I know who I'll be stalki... trailing :teeth:

Well, in IAH I guess that works until she passes the presidents club... then I have to choose :cheerleader:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#1375 scubaguyd

scubaguyd

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:Navy Diver, PADI-Divemaster, NAUI-Master Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

Simple. Again, ifn you have to set your computer dont forget to set it after you analyze and mark you tank.

And, if it is a nasty beastie like mine, the default is it will go to 50% if you don't update it between dives - so this is a task added to every dive's checklist.

ps - for scubaguyd, I got a recall notice from the USN - check your scubaguyd.com address - you may have one too.... :cheerleader:

Reporting in for recall notice AyeAye capn. will arrive 1330 , ARRR me capn at ye service standing TALL with me long blade! ready to use me sabarrr at a moment notice. Me will serve harrrrrd semperfi me capn.

Edited by scubaguyd, 01 September 2006 - 07:56 AM.

#1376 VAglassman

VAglassman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

Dive computers! Yes, remembering to set the O2 amount after you’ve checked and marked your tanks is the most important task, and if you are diving both Nitrox & Air on the same day, you may run into the problem I did: After two dives on Nitrox I tried to switch my Sherwood Wisdom computer back to air – no luck. :cheerleader: The no brainer here everyone? Just set your O2 to 21% !!!!!!

:teeth: Now for the fun stuff: NOAA has an “Oxygen Exposure Limits” Table for those diving multiple dives/days on Nitrox. If for example, your PO2 (ATA) for dive #1 equals 1.4, your maximum Single Dive Exposure Limit (in minutes) is 150 and your Max. Total Exposure Duration for any 24 hr period (in Minutes) will be 180 = 3 hours of diving: if you dive 60 min dives that = 3 dives per day max.

THANK GOODNESS FOR DIVE COMPUTERS!!!! :D

Oh...... my headache just got so much worse, just reading this post!!
David

aka: VAGlassman

#1377 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

If anyone is flying out of Houston on the early Continental flight # 1894, this is one of the international flight you can check in online and get your boarding pass. You will need your passport # and expiration date.
I've checked in and have my boarding pass.
See ya'll in the morning!
Phyllis

#1378 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

If anyone is flying out of Houston on the early Continental flight # 1894, this is one of the international flight you can check in online and get your boarding pass. You will need your passport # and expiration date.
I've checked in and have my boarding pass.
See ya'll in the morning!

Thanks. I'll do that right now.
"

#1379 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

I am also on CO 1894 on 09/02.

See everyone there

Ditto

PlatypusMan
...Roatan! Roatan!! Roatan!!!

I'm also on that flight seat 20F

I think I'm in 21F - I'll be sure and kick the back of the seat the whole flight :D

You won't have too far to reach it'll be reclined in your lap the whole way. :cheerleader:

Actually, I got the flights mixed up - I'm in 21a from HNL - I'm in 19F from Houston. So, I guess I get to recline in YOUR lap and you can kick the back of the seat :teeth:
"

#1380 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

WAAHOO!!!

I'm outta here and starting the road trip part of my Roatan journey...

See you all there tomorrow.... :cheerleader:

Karen
:teeth:
Karen~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users