• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Burning Chrome Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:Only my training dives so far...

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:44 AM

First: if this is in the wrong place...sorry...I wasn't sure where it should go.
Second: I am taking a NAUI certification course through the university where I work.

Class One:
Met the instructors, discussed the structure of the course, the basic equipment--mask, fins, snorkel--what the course requirements are and when the open water dives are going to happen. We paid for the course and for the book. Class over...and we are to read the the first two chapters before the next class.

Class Two:
More classroom work involving equipment...a short quiz...and then, finally, off to the pool!!!
At the pool we went over more about the equipmnet and how it all goes together. After we had the BC, tank and regulator assembled, we inflated the BC and put the unit in the water...got our masks and fins and got in the water ourselves. We put the BC/tank/regulator on and made sure it fit well in the shallow end of the pool.
Our first "trip" underwater was to determine our bouyancy--we tried to get to the bottom of the pool. I believe we all needed some weight, I required 8 lbs. We listened as our instructor explained how to purge the regulator and then watched him demonstrate. He then watched as we each, individually, tried the two methods he had just shown us. The other thing we learned was regulator retrieval. We then had a few minutes to practice on our own.
Finally, it was time to get out of the pool. We learned how to take the equipment off and get out of the pool. We then learned how to disassemble the gear, to rinse everything and to store it appropriately.
All in all it was a good second class...and I am really looking forward to the next one!!! Now, at some point, I gotta go read two more chapters in the book before the next class on Wednesday...

Before you know it I will be :cool1: :cheerleader:
You laugh at me because I am different; I laugh because you are all the same. ~Daniel Knode

#2 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:55 AM

I'm glad you are enjoying our class. Welcome to our little community.

The basic Open Water class is just enough to get you started. Try to go right on to the Advanced Open Water class as soon as you can. The Advanced class involves less homework and more diving. It is intended to introduce you to a variety of diving conditions so it is most valuable when you are new to diving and less valuable as you gain more experience, so try to do it as early as possible.

Enjoy!

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

Great Stuff!!! One of the things I enjoy about working as a DM with open water students is watching all of the details come together as the people get that first breath of compressed air. Never fails to thrill me. :cheerleader:

If you're at 8 pounds, you're doing very well. Many students have to carry more because their anxiousness keeps them breathing shallow, trapping a lot of air in their lungs.

Keep up the good work, and keep posting!!!!
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

AWESOME!!! And I love the chronicles idea! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep it going so we can all learn if we are new to the sport or just recall how it was if we are an old salt! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

May I say for the record....

Not everyone has a great experience the first time thru their training. And not everyone gets it the first or even third time thru either parts or the entire program. I for one did NOT do well in my open water class. In fact I did very poorly. For the whole story click here.

But the bottom line is that we can succeed at ANYTHING we want badly enough and we are willing to work for. So hang in there and please feel free to share your experiences with us. I bet many of us have ways to help you overcome any obstacle or challenge you are facing. Why re-invent the wheel? I know our members have done that many many times so feel free to learn from them. Just ask and they will help you! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#6 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:13 AM

AWESOME!!! And I love the chronicles idea! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep it going so we can all learn if we are new to the sport or just recall how it was if we are an old salt! -ww

I hope to keep the chronicle going...at least that's the plan. Someone suggested just such a thing when I introduced myself a while back...So, here we go...anyway...the next class is tonight...I did all of the reading--chapters 3 and 4 are much longer than 1 & 2--and I am looking forward to doin more in the pool...mask clearing and buddy breathing and all that... :D
I'll try to post up again in the morning with my take on the second pool session. Peace out. :cheerleader:
You laugh at me because I am different; I laugh because you are all the same. ~Daniel Knode

#7 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:02 AM

Class #3:

Class lecture about atmospheres and pressure and how those things affect you when you dive...blocks and squeezes...oh, and we mustn't forget Boyle's Law.
Now, on to the fun part...In the pool for the second time! We headed out of the classroom as we finished our quizzes and we went and prepared to get in the pool. We were to assemble our gear on our own and go to the edge of the shallow end of the pool. We were assigned our dive buddies...in some cases it was quite obvious who would be buddies...and in other cases...it was more random. Anyway, with our buddies help we did a controlled seated entry into the shallow end of the pool. We then reviewed the skills from Monday, class two, both visually and actually.
Moving on, we then learned how to clear our masks. First we learned what to do if the mask was simply flooded. We then learned how to put the mask back on if it were to ever come completely off. I guess I am "lucky" in that I have a purge valve in my mask...though I did practice clearing w/o...but having the purge valve makes it so easy to clear the mask! Anyway, now everyone can clear their mask so we move on to the neutral bouyancy.
We were told to lay down on the bottom of the pool and make ourselves neutrally bouyant. Which, of course, is basically rising slightly when you breath in and sinking slightly when you breath out. With a little practice we all managed to make it happen. The next assignment would involve us being neutrally bouyant and re-working the mask replacement skills as well as our buddy work. The assignment was to play lead the maskless person across the pool, holding hands, and then the person with their mask off would replace their mask and the roles would reverse. We did this several times each.
Next came the deep end of the pool and learning how to equalize the ear pressure. I think everyone in the class was able to get to the bottom of the 12' pool last night with minimal problems/effort. I had thought I would have some issues as I had had some minor prolems skin-diving, but it is different when you don't have to hold your breath.! Once we reached the bottom we redid the neutral bouyancy exercise and we also redid the mask clearing exercises. After everyone had successfully completed those we did the maskless buddy leading exercise again. After that we were allowed to "play" for roughly 5 minutes, at which time we went to the edge of the pool at the deep end and learned how to do a deep water exit. Then it was time to break the equipment down and put it away as we had been taught on Monday.
All in all things went very well for me last night...and I am still really excited about the whole process! I can hardly wait to get to the rest of the pool work and get on out to the "real" world and work outside on the skills! Sooner than I know it I will really be a certified SCUBA diver! :diver: :fish2:

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:15 AM

This sounds like a fun class. I envy you that.

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

I enjoy reading your posts. Keep letting us know how it goes. It sounds like you are receiving some good training.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,629 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

I enjoy reading your posts. Keep letting us know how it goes. It sounds like you are receiving some good training.

Howard is right...your posts are great! And it does sound like you are getting a great class and have a great instructor. Keep us posted on your progress! -ww

formerly...

#11 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:16 AM

I certainly hope to keep posting...it is a good way for me to remember what we did in class. :P

Anyway, the only thing I appear to be having any difficulty with is exhaling whenever the regulator is out of my mouth...so the instructor is always reminding me about it. Not sure why that is...I know that I need to keep exhaling and when I snorkel/skin dive I do exhale continuously when underwater...I'm sure it'll come to me...I'll just keep workin' on it. :flirt:

#12 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:45 AM

Anyway, the only thing I appear to be having any difficulty with is exhaling whenever the regulator is out of my mouth...so the instructor is always reminding me about it. Not sure why that is...

Thanks again for posting your experience.

When you say "Not sure why" - are you not sure why you don't exhale or why you need to?

The need is consistent with the mantra "never hold your breath on scuba" and is meant to keep your airway open so you don't run into lung embolism problems.

If you just don't remember, try to slow down your routine, and put in this short mental "general purpose scuba checklist" - that should be always in your mind....
1. Stop
2. Breathe
3. Think
4. Act

By dividing your task into smaller steps, you're less likely to forget one. In this case, when you hit the "Breathe" step - that will remind you to ensure you're exhaling.

Remember, this should not be a big exhalation, just enough to keep your airway open. Some people just hum which will entertain the fish as well as keep you safe and minimize the amount of air expelled.

Edited by Capn Jack, 28 April 2006 - 05:46 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#13 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

I understand why it is important to keep breathing...I just don't know why I stop when the regulator isn't in my mouth...it is probably because I am so focused on trying to accomplish the new skills that I forget to do it...Thanks for the suggestion...I will try to incorporate it in the next class...

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

Uh oh Chrome. MOF. :flirt: :P :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Edited by Fairybasslet, 28 April 2006 - 07:59 AM.

#15 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:51 AM

Uh oh Chrome. MOF. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:P OK...I must be a little slow...what does "MOF" stand for... :flirt: :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users