• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Burning Chrome Chronicles

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

:P OK...I must be a little slow...what does "MOF" stand for... :flirt: :lmao:

Mask on Forehead. There is a never-ending thread about it. Someone else has in their signature "I put my mask on my forehead but no one rescued me" and on and on and on...

BTW, congrats on your OW training.

#17 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:Only my training dives so far...

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

:P OK...I must be a little slow...what does "MOF" stand for... :flirt: :lmao:

Mask on Forehead. There is a never-ending thread about it. Someone else has in their signature "I put my mask on my forehead but no one rescued me" and on and on and on...

BTW, congrats on your OW training.

Ok...I got ya...I don't seem to have that issue...thankfully...but there is someone in the class that does...

Oh, and thanks, BTW...been a blast so far... :lmao:
You laugh at me because I am different; I laugh because you are all the same. ~Daniel Knode

#18 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

dont worry chrome, after a year and a half of diving, im just getting over the MOF........

#19 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

dont worry chrome, after a year and a half of diving, im just getting over the MOF........

Hrmmm -- "getting over the MOF"?!?!?!?

MOF'er and Proud!!! :P

Attached Images

• MOF.jpg

Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

MOF'er and Proud!!! :)

Careful Kimber...I know ALL the SD guys would come and try to "rescue" you if they saw your MOF in person!!! :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Careful Kimber...I know ALL the SD guys would come and try to "rescue" you if they saw your MOF in person!!! :P

Actually, no need for MOF, she had me with her doubles.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#22 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

Kamala -- he he he -- I am sure not all -- but I can hear it now -- "diver diver are you OK???" :P

CaptJack -- *blush*
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#23 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:59 PM

WOW...sounds like you have learned more in 2 or 3 classes than I learned all the way through advanced(only slightly joling) many of those skills ( especially buooyancy control) awesome buddies and divemasters have helped me with. Sounds like your doing great. Keep us informed!
who's leading this parade anyway?

#24 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

MOF'er and Proud!!! :)

omg.... its all i can do to remember to not "MOF". glad to know im not the only one :P

#25 Burning Chrome

Burning Chrome

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Cert Level:Scuba Diver
  • Logged Dives:Only my training dives so far...

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:00 AM

Class 4 (Pool Session 3)

Lecture
We primarily discussed some of the problems that can occur if surfacing to quickly, including, but not limited to, DCS. Of course, we spent time going over how to avoid having problems in the first place, and reinforced the mantra of breathe continuously. We also spent part of the lecture time going over the difference between anchor diving--when a dive boat is anchored--and drift diving when the dive boat isn't anchored. As always, good stuff...

Pool
We assemble our gear and changed as soon as we completed the quiz. It is really becoming easy to get the gear pulled together and assembled correctly. Once everyone was there and ready, we learned how to do a giant stride entry--from the deep end of course. Everyone then did a giant stride entry, and I believe we were all successful...and then we swam to the shallow end of the pool to learn the skills for the evening.
The first skill we were taught was the emergency buddy tow. After it was demonstrated, we towed each other to one end of the pool and then our buddy towed us back. It rememinded me of learning to tow someone back in lifeguard class, only much easier to do with fins.
The next thing we did was buddy breathing. We saw it demonstrated and then we did it above water, each buddy giving the out of air hand signal and the other buddy moving to their aid. The key things that our instructor was looking for was the handing of the "octopus" to our buddy, the grasping of the right shoulder strap with the right hand and the elevating the BC inflator over our head with the left hand. We then repeated the process under water in the shallow end, again with each buddy taking their turn to be the one w/o air. The next step was to head to the deep end of the pool and repeat the process one more time.
After we successfully completed the process, we had free time to practice what we had learned on our own: neutral bouyancy, mask clearing, pressure equalization...and just spending time under water getting used to breathing continuously.
The last thing we did for the evening was to exit the pool via the ladder with our gear still on...realizing of course that the pool ladder is stationary and a boat ladder is not, but it still helps us to learn what it will be like to try to climb a dive ladder wearing gear.
All in all, things are going very well, IMHO, and I am still very much enjoying the process! The instructor told me and my buddy we were doing a good job with the learning/demonstrating of the skills...and that's a good thing to hear. Next class is Wednesday...and we will continue to learn new skills in preparation for our first "real" dive...which will happen on Sunday...more details to follow after Wednesday's class.
You laugh at me because I am different; I laugh because you are all the same. ~Daniel Knode

#26 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Sounds like a good, fun class to me. Apparently your previous time in the water is making this easier :banghead: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#27 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

Not to hijaak this thread, and perhaps this is a discussion best moved to another place, but I am somewhat curious about the OOA procedure you were taught. Years ago, I learned the same method.

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how how you can do a roman handshake, or grab your buddy's BC with one hand, control buoyancy, watch ascent rate, and manage problems with just two hands. One of which is not being used since it's holding a BC or the buddy's arm.

Does anyone have an answer to this?

#28 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how how you can do a roman handshake, or grab your buddy's BC with one hand, control buoyancy, watch ascent rate, and manage problems with just two hands. One of which is not being used since it's holding a BC or the buddy's arm.

Does anyone have an answer to this?

The baseline assumption here is a vertical ascent, i.e. head up, hand up, finning to provide vertical movement. This is probably contrary to the "always horizontal" school of thought.

My feeling is the roman hand shake gives the donor firm control over the OOA diver and reassures the OOA diver.

I think this is a different target diver audience then the method you would probably prefer. These are "OPEN WATER" divers, and further rationale for why extensive training is recommended before advancing to overhead environments.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#29 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

No no... that's not what I am saying.

What I am asking is how you do the following:

1. Hold onto OOA diver
2. Manage your buoyancy and the OOA diver's buoyancy (assuming panic)
3. Monitor ascent rate

Seems like you'd need three hands. Especially considering a large portion of OW divers use consoles which you'd have to hold with the free hand to check depth. That would mean BOTH hands are occupied. So how do you control buoyancy?

#30 ereediver

ereediver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

HMMMMM Very carefully??? All kidding aside. I belive your giving up a little to keep the OOA diver from bolting to the surface. If both divers have the wits about them. I assume one could let go and pick up the pressure guage or computer. On the other hand if one diver is paniced, slightly exceding the ascent rate would be better then an all out bust for the surface. And again from open water depths a bouyant energency ascent is still an option inan emergency.

So I guess my answere is you can't to all three, so something has to give.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users