• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ascent Line Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

Also, you might try marking your stops on your spool line so you can find it easily if you have bad viz or lose your mask on the ascent. You might use both a waterproof marker (so you can see it) and knotting it (so you can feel it).

Excellent suggestion! I need to do that myself!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#62 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:31 PM

I have seen only one person ever have a spool on their BC.....Now how many of you carry reef hooks?
You must endeavor to pursue!

#63 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

I have seen only one person ever have a spool on their BC.....Now how many of you carry reef hooks?

I carry my spool and SMB in my pocket though it would be much more accessible clipped onto my BC.

#64 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Deleted - and my apologies to anyone I may have offended with my humor. Our equipment should always be used constructively, and not to threaten or harass other divers, no matter how rude and ignorant they may be.

Edited by Capn Jack, 30 September 2006 - 11:48 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#65 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

My Abalone Diver 45 APC Glock works well at clearing the hang line and does a dang good job of signaling the boat on the surface.

I like my gear to be multi purpose.

Now that Reef hook with that nasty clip.
hmmmmm.

norm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#66 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

If I may have another moment of your time...

I must also add for the record that no one agency is perfect, nor is any one agency 'the best' nor is any one agency representative of any generalized 'attribute, characteristic or attitude'.

While many do not like to see _______ (insert agency name here) randomly characterized as incompetent, others do not like to see _______(insert agency name here) randomly characterized as arrogant or superior to others. Both are false generalizations that should not and will not be propogated on this site.

When we feel that our agency or our skills have been judged unfairly we usually feel compelled to defend ourselves. Once this happens things can easily sprial out of control and hard feelings ensue, as well as the further propogation of false/erroneous statements. Aside from hurt feelings to members of our community we also damage the reputation that our community has worked so hard to achieve...one of openess yet respect, kindness and fun! Once this process begins the volunteers known as mods have to step in and try to sort it out striving to achieve balance, fairness and the position of neutrality. However they are people too and over time they too become a tad frustrated over the endless barrage of 'agency denouncing...agency inferiority insinuations...agency arguements...agency bashing...and agency wars".

At SD.com these are strictly prohibited however we also try to NOT overly moderate and so often allow a passing comment or two to stand. If the members let them stand we are fine and you'll see that several 'digs' have been left standing about ALL agencies. However often our members can not leave them stand or see them as 'just another ongoing dig' at their agency. While in context they may be fine, the member sees a PATTERN and in thier mind that pattern/trend looms big and bold to them and so they MUST respond. Herein lies the problem. Zero tolerance for the issue vs. over moderation.

To prevent the forced removal of every comment that 'appears to be agency diversive' we ask that you use the REPORT THIS POST button and call the comment to our attention so that we can immediately review it and if found susptect will moderate it i.e. modify it or remove it. This process does take a bit of time so we ask for your patience. If you escalate the problem by responding 'tit for tat' you will often lose the battle as the focus will NOW be on the escalated comments rather than the original comments that irriated you. This will seem unfair to you but often it is the nature of the beast. If you would ask our assistance upfront then we can stop the bleeding immediately rather than play messy clean up after the fact.

So we ask that you use the REPORT THIS POST function or that you contact a mod or admin for assistance rather than taking matters into your own hands. Remember our mods and admins are people too and they are hughly tasked with helping to keep SD a fun and positive place with little reward, satisfaction or even appreciation for the job they do. Trust me it is hard work and one that I will take a minute to applaud our team for striving to do the best job they can. :respect: to them all and :P Kudos for a job well done!

Having said that you can make their job easier as well as ensure that this community stays the fun and respectful place it works so very hard to be by having a bit of patience, using the REPORT THIS POST button rather than escalating a matter or taking it into your own hands or by contacting one of the admins and mods directly to assist you. I PROMISE that we'll make it our highest priority and we'll address it as quickly as we can!

Thank you all for doing your part! And take a moment to thank our moderating team for working tirelessly to keep SD fun, positive and respectful!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#67 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Ok ANOTHER Request....(Boy I'm getting a workout in this thread)

While most of us see the humor in the comments thus far about 'clearing the hangline' with various invasive methods such as hooks, guns and even liftbags filled to capacity....do keep in mind that some of our members notably our international members may not see the humor in our 'aggressive sounding techniques'.

Please be conscience of possible image issues jokes such as these may cause in an international community!

BTW...we now have members from 21 different countries! :P

formerly...

#68 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

First let me apologize to the group.
My last post here was out of line, insensitive, and inappropriate.
The use of deadly weapons and bodily harm should be reserved for when there is a most egregious act against a persons life or their families life.

So as I stand here now please imagine that I have a look of contrition.
I am looking down at my feet, digging the toe of my boot in the dirt, first with my left and then the right.
Beleaguered at being busted with the simple declarative of "Boys!" by one who is "She Who Must Be Obeyed".
All I can say penitently is "Yes Dear".

This is what happens when a good dog is allowed to roam freely with no mistress to serve.
Good training needs to be reinforced.

norm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Licensed  Fool.

#69 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,671 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

The use of deadly weapons and bodily harm should be reserved for when there is a most egregious act against a persons life or their families life.

I am looking down at my feet, digging the toe of my boot in the dirt, first with my left and then the right.
Beleaguered at being busted with the simple declarative of "Boys!" by one who is "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

This is what happens when a good dog is allowed to roam freely with no mistress to serve.

norm

My dear I KNOW you meant no harm however I wanted to make sure that others in our community knew that as well. Little reminders are just that...reminders. No harm! No foul!

But I do thank you all for realizing that 'dark humor' is still humor...but it is often misunderstood. Thank you all! -ww

formerly...

#70 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

norm

:cheerleader: :lmao: This is the funniest post I have ever read.

#71 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

norm

Norm I was not offended in any way by your post, and knew very well it was all in jest. Being able to laugh and make jokes is one of my favorite things about sharing conversation with friends!

#72 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

Well I'm glad to see that the writing skills that the Jesuits taught me have paid off in comic relief.
They also instilled in me that guilt is almost as good a motivator as fear.
Ft. Benning taught me over come fear.
Guilt well…

norm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Licensed  Fool.

#73 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:46 PM

My Abalone Diver 45 APC Glock works well at clearing the hang line and does a dang good job of signaling the boat on the surface.

norm

Have you tried the 9mm version,smaller cross section so better travel through the water plus the the kick doesn't effect your trim.

Well I'm glad to see that the writing skills that the Jesuits taught me have paid off in comic relief.
They also instilled in me that guilt is almost as good a motivator as fear.
Ft. Benning taught me over come fear.
Guilt well…

norm

'tis easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission....

Edited by 6Gill, 02 October 2006 - 10:46 PM.

#74 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

Have you tried the 9mm version,smaller cross section so better travel through the water plus the the kick doesn't effect your trim.

Lets compromise with the 40 Cal. S&W.

That never seemed to work with my C.S.M. or Darlene.

Often beaten, never defeated.
norm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Licensed  Fool.

#75 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

That never seemed to work with my C.S.M. or Darlene.

Often beaten, never defeated.
norm

I should of explained that rule only works with God and mere mortals.

ps-be glad it didn't get as far as the R.S.M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users