• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Men & Women in Black

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

I passed....

Congrats! They are not easy classes to pass...just ask Trace! :-D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

Thus, if you have passed fundies, I am asking you to check in.

I passed, and then I declined on taking more training when my instructor told me he would not let me go on until I changed my d-rings.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#18 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

Ok, so we have 2

#19 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

I think that Vinnie has also passed his Fundies.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#20 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

Alright,

That would make 3. Plus me with a non-pass.

Ok,

Thanks everyone.

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Alright,

That would make 3. Plus me with a non-pass.

Ok,

Thanks everyone.

My understanding is that MANY people do not pass the class the first time and depending on the instructor it may take 3 times to pass the class. However you will have skills that surpass many divers when you do pass the class. This course is arduous as it should be given the environment that you are training for...i.e. caves.

However I have learned that to have many if not all of these skills are EXTREMELY useful in other non-caving applications, some of which have been alluded too in the 'ascent line' thread, some in other threads and in general ANYTHING that makes you a better diver in ANY environment is good...VERY GOOD!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

Just to correct a misnomer, Fundies does not prepare you to dive caves, nor is it necessarily geared to trying to prep you for that. Most DIR divers will never see the inside of a cave.

In many cases, it is very unfortunate that DIR has become so closely associated with cave diving. People seem to avoid it based on the faulty premise that it is only for cave diving.

The educational path in GUE after fundies takes two major branches:

Tech1, Tech2, Tech3
Cave1, Cave2, Cave3

The Rebreather can be introduced at level 2 or 3 I can't remember.

For those wishing to simply do recreational diving, there is a subpath to recreational trimix directly after fundies that teaches the use of 30/30 (30% oxygen and 30% helium) for use at recreational depths (below 130ft). It's primary purpose is to reduce the effecs of narcosis for those divers wishing to push the bounds of deeper recreational dives safely.

And yes, the DIRF course is very difficult. My Adv Nitrox class, and my cave course were easy by coparison.

Edited by PerroneFord, 30 September 2006 - 10:07 AM.

#23 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Hey I passed too (Fundies), thanks Howard!

Right now I'm going to concentrate on my Tech 1, but I need to square away a couple things first...the down side of being up here in VA I have a hard time finding buddies to practice with for Tech 1. I may have to take a couple weeks off of work and visit Fla.

Perrone, good clarification on the "...fundies preparing you for cave..." misconception. As Perrone said, passing the Fundimentals allwos you to progress to Cave 1 or Tech 1 and from there you can choose your branch. Mine will be Tech 1 and later Cave 1.

#24 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:58 AM

Thus, if you have passed fundies, I am asking you to check in.

I passed, and then I declined on taking more training when my instructor told me he would not let me go on until I changed my d-rings.

Esplain Lucy...what did you need to change about your D-rings to please him/her?

#25 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

Yeah - I passed too...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#26 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

Ok, so that makes 4.

Anyone else?

#27 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

If you are a DIR diver (at least DIR-F) please check in.

-4 of 5

(please note: I am not asking anyone's opinion of DIR, I am not asking anyone to discuss DIR, nor am I entertaining people who do or don't want to know what DIR is.)

*Note: Edited to add the 'Women' in Black too! -ww

Now WW, that's not fair - :o it's his thread, his strict rules about what can and cannot be posted in his thread and his thread title. Are you sure he didn't intentionally want to exclude women?
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#28 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

Esplain Lucy...what did you need to change about your D-rings to please him/her?

Because I was using Highland Millwork fixed d-rings, I was told that I would have to change to standard bent d-rings or else I would not be admitted to Tech1 or Cave1. I thought the whole thing was pretty rediculous. So, I completed my GUE experience by passing my Fundies class, and I did not seek further training from them.

#29 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hey I passed too (Fundies), thanks Howard!

Right now I'm going to concentrate on my Tech 1, but I need to square away a couple things first...the down side of being up here in VA I have a hard time finding buddies to practice with for Tech 1. I may have to take a couple weeks off of work and visit Fla.

OK maybe I'll have to surprise you with a little 5thD magic before you visit!! :)

Now WW, that's not fair - :D it's his thread, his strict rules about what can and cannot be posted in his thread and his thread title. Are you sure he didn't intentionally want to exclude women?

I hope he didn't unless I am mistaken and it is male exclusive, in which case I am ready - I have already had to deal with the male dominated scuba realm here in the PNW - I think that makes me ready for anything! :o
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#30 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

Because I was using Highland Millwork fixed d-rings, I was told that I would have to change to standard bent d-rings or else I would not be admitted to Tech1 or Cave1. I thought the whole thing was pretty rediculous. So, I completed my GUE experience by passing my Fundies class, and I did not seek further training from them.

I like the look of the rings you pointed out. Now if I understand it, the principles behind gear selection and configuration where DIR / GUE are concerned is safety and streamlining. Is there a risk of snagging or something that renders the Highland D-rings potentially unsafe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users