• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

8 Spots Left! (11 women 5 men) August 16-23 2007 WHALESHARKS!!! Yep Holbox & Cozy & Cenotes!

• Please log in to reply
531 replies to this topic

#496 Stingray1

Stingray1

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:51 AM

I didn't have time to sleep. I'm heading into the office and get my payroll stuff done. I'll give DD a call in a little bit and see what happened to him.
Phyllis

#497 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

I never have been able to call the CO desk at the airport as they won't give out the number, but Lisa just called me from there. I got their number stored in my cell now. :cheerleader:

She has me on standby for the 7-something plane, but it's full of Little Leagers, not likely to clear.

She's also willing to book me on American, to connect to the same flight that WWench, et all are on, if American will give the seat. It's sold out, too - more baseball kids, but she may have push it thru on the computer. She wants to guarantee tomorrow, but I want there today. :D

Well no one is usually there this time of morning, but she got called in to take care of things - glad she did.

I'm headed to Lubbock to flash my Elite card a little and see what I can arrange. Been thru these before, much worse. If it can be done, I bet I get it done... :-D

Edited by DandyDon, 16 August 2007 - 01:55 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#498 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:59 AM

Sorry to hear about your travel issues Don. All I can say is that I have been there. I love to fly direct whenever possible, just because of situations like yours.

My two travel comments for this morning.

If you put your school supplies in your carry on, make sure you haven't picked up anything related to glue (including glue sticks), all of those were confiscated by TSA this morning.

TSA while confiscating my glue, also activated my computer so I will be diving at altitude this week. The hazards of living in the mile high city.

#499 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

Oh, ok: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov I see that Erin has drifted north a little, but I think I can get in and out of Houston before he might. Looks like everyone but Stingray and me are coming out of DFW, and your planes can just fly a little more to the east.

"You want beans with that?" Posted Image

TRIP UPDATE:

There is a potential that we may be impacted by this storm. The cone is 1000 miles wide so we have a lot of lattitude.

THE TRIP IS A GO!!!

Please proceed enroute as trip insurance will not cover you until there is an actual delay.

Since our trip is in 3 segments we'll do each segment as we can.

Keep your thoughts towards the storm as far south as it can!!! :cheerleader:

See you there...kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#500 Doctor G

Doctor G

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:around 40

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

Oh, ok: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov I see that Erin has drifted north a little, but I think I can get in and out of Houston before he might. Looks like everyone but Stingray and me are coming out of DFW, and your planes can just fly a little more to the east.

"You want beans with that?" Posted Image

TRIP UPDATE:

There is a potential that we may be impacted by this storm. The cone is 1000 miles wide so we have a lot of lattitude.

THE TRIP IS A GO!!!

Please proceed enroute as trip insurance will not cover you until there is an actual delay.

Since our trip is in 3 segments we'll do each segment as we can.

Keep your thoughts towards the storm as far south as it can!!! :cheerleader:

See you there...kamala

I hope everyone has a great trip! -- Have fun and be safe!

I'm really sorry that I can't be there with you this time ----- got to stay in El Paso for a bit and get things running right again at work. ----- But I think that it's going to happen, and things should be back on track before too long.

Hopefully, I'll meet up with many of you soon!

Doctor G
Doctor G

Greetings from:
El Paso del Norte
--- a.k.a. - the frontier!

#501 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

WW

if your checking online you may want to keep track on this storm as the latest update puts it taking on the yucatan peninsula head on as a strong Cat 4 storm (maybe higher) sometime between monday and tuesday.

you all please take care.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#502 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Have a great trip, wish I could be there with ya.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#503 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, George I fly direct when I can, but out of Lubbock - that's to Dallas, Houston or Albuquerque. Beyond that, I do what I can. Anyway, direct would not have helped as the plan was grounded on landing into Lubbock the night before. It could have been non-stop to Coz, wouldn't matter.

New approaches in getting to Cozumel after flight cancels in the middle of the night…

Hahaha! I’d researched flights, flight connections, and land & water connections enough in the past that I could quickly run the research on computer and phone on the possibilities and compare the pros and cons…
> Standby on Cont Air’s next 7+am flight, maybe get out and connect to my original flight to Coz;
> Confirmed on Cont Air’s 4+pm flight connecting to Cancun, a van to Playa del Carmen, overnight there with airline or trip insurance paying, first ferry to Coz, straight to the dive boat;
> Southwest to Houston or Dallas, but wrong airports, taxi to correct airport to barely catch a Continental or American flight to Coz - backup SWA reservation to Dallas booked just in case; or
> Have Cont Air endorse my ticket over to American at the original airport, take one of first two flights out and connect to Coz. The best idea, but the flights were so full that my airline could not confirm this until the other airline counter opened at 4+am.

I rushed thru the night to the airport, and the plan worked. It included a 3 hour layover with no Presidents Club and associated benefits usually enjoyed, i.e. free drinks, lounge, wireless internet, snacks L , but at least I was in a Hub airport with a good aim on Coz. < happy dance >

Slept all the way the Coz, did the airport immigration (who are you trying to keep out of Mexico anyway), bag claim (both here!!), Customs (don’t I look innocent?), broke thru the Time Share hawks with my GTF out-of-my-way look, crammed into a too full & overpriced van, and made it to the hotel. First mission accomplished! Hoorah!

Had a leisurely afternoon meeting others in the group, late lunch, checking my pony bottle in to get filled, long nap, late dinner - whew. Unpacked my massive array of stuff, set up camp in the room replacing two dim light bulbs with bright CFBs I brought and setting up my coffee maker, laying our battering chargers for cameras, installing batteries in dive lights, repacking my boarding bag for the morn, and yes - my roomie is amazed at all I carry. Experienced traveling divers either become minimalists like him or every-damned-thing-I-might want like me. Jim is a great sport, tho.

We’re watching H.Dean with one eye as he is just too far out to take seriously today. Final decision will be made on Monday I guess, as we go to the mainland to dive Cenotes anyway. Do we give up the whale sharks and execute run & hide or do we go for the gusto. If it heads a little south or makes a hard north turn - either of which is possible, we’re fine.

Attached Images

• Th_nite_dean.gif

Edited by DandyDon, 16 August 2007 - 11:32 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#504 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

WW

if your checking online you may want to keep track on this storm as the latest update puts it taking on the yucatan peninsula head on as a strong Cat 4 storm (maybe higher) sometime between monday and tuesday.

We are and we are checking options.
But the diving is very good and you can't tell there's a storm coming.
Phyllis

#505 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

WW

FYI, most of us bailed out on this trip. 9 of us flew out today, with the remainder planning to fly out Sunday and a couple on Monday. Hopefully it was just a premature move and everything will be fine, but when all of the dive ops are pulling their boats out the water, its time to leave the locals to their emergency plans.

#506 bpro

bpro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:190

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

WW

FYI, most of us bailed out on this trip. 9 of us flew out today, with the remainder planning to fly out Sunday and a couple on Monday. Hopefully it was just a premature move and everything will be fine, but when all of the dive ops are pulling their boats out the water, its time to leave the locals to their emergency plans.

Good to hear most are back and the rest are coming. Been watching the thread and hoping for the best for all divers on this trip.

Edited by bpro, 18 August 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#507 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Glad to hear that you guys all bailed.

Kamala - I got your message. Thanks so much for the update... I was very worried about you guys. It's a shame about the trip, but hey... there's always next year!!

Let's keep our friends in Cozumel and in thoughts and prayers.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#508 Stingray1

Stingray1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

WW

Good to hear most are back and the rest are coming. Been watching the thread and hoping for the best for all divers on this trip. DandyDon's updates were appreciated back home...I think it was anyway....are they gone now?

There are still 4 of us here with 2 flying out tomorrow and 2 on Monday unless we can get earlier flights. The weather here has been very nice and diving was great.
Phyllis

#509 Doctor G

Doctor G

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:around 40

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

WW

Good to hear most are back and the rest are coming. Been watching the thread and hoping for the best for all divers on this trip.

I've been kicking my own butt all week for not being able to go on this trip........ but I never wished for anybody else to have to bail out

Restating the obvious: Hurricane Dean looks like a pretty serious storm, and right now, it appears to be headed straight for Cozumel and/or the Yucatan peninsula

Stay safe everyone! --- Please don't gamble too much with this one.
Doctor G

Greetings from:
El Paso del Norte
--- a.k.a. - the frontier!

#510 Travelgal

Travelgal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

Hope everyone who left yesterday is home safe! Stingray Scuba chick and dandy and I are all still hanging out....time for breakfast then Paula and Paula are heading to the ferry to Cancun...she leaves this afternoon and >I will be spending a night in Cancun and hopefully flying out on Spiritt tomorrow afternoon...Don flies today from Cancun and is most likely already on a ferry and Phylis will be here alone to fly out of Coz tomorrow.....We did have awsome dives yesterday afternoon and it is quite peaceful here and calm.....wish we were all still her and diving together today! I will let you know when I am home! Meeting Devb hopefully in FLL and maybe we can dive if all is well there! Paula
Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users