• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

8 Spots Left! (11 women 5 men) August 16-23 2007 WHALESHARKS!!! Yep Holbox & Cozy & Cenotes!

• Please log in to reply
531 replies to this topic

#106 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Any word on an adjustment to total cost if you are not interested in the cenote dives?

I may or may not be interested in an extra day in Cozumel, but the cenotes would be out for me. Sounds beautiful, but I don't do the "overhead" thing well. :-)
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#107 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

Is the trip still open? I'd love to do my first 'real' SD trip and this would hit at a good time for me. Also, I'm a bit of a beginner (20 logged dives). I read about the Cenotes not requiring cave certification, but is this otherwise a good dive trip for the less experienced?

You will have a chance to log 10 or more dives and work on your BC control at Cozumel before the Cenotes, as well as have 3 months to practice in your local dives or whatever, and the Cenote dives will blow your mind...! :birthday:

I helped WWench look at some alternative activities for that day for anyone who does not want to do the Cenotes, tho - so I know she has some good options lined up. I really don't remember for sure but I think she said she'd work that out with any such members when the time came. She's out of the country until June 4 now, but will handle it then, I suppose.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#108 bpro

bpro

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:190

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:42 AM

Is the trip still open? I'd love to do my first 'real' SD trip and this would hit at a good time for me. Also, I'm a bit of a beginner (20 logged dives). I read about the Cenotes not requiring cave certification, but is this otherwise a good dive trip for the less experienced?

You will have a chance to log 10 or more dives and work on your BC control at Cozumel before the Cenotes, as well as have 3 months to practice in your local dives or whatever, and the Cenote dives will blow your mind...! :cheerleader:

I helped WWench look at some alternative activities for that day for anyone who does not want to do the Cenotes, tho - so I know she has some good options lined up. I really don't remember for sure but I think she said she'd work that out with any such members when the time came. She's out of the country until June 4 now, but will handle it then, I suppose.

That sounds great -- thanks Kim, Babs, and Don :cheerleader:
Now it's just a matter of blocking that time off at work. The trip sounds like three knockout sets of dives! :cheerleader:

#109 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:10 AM

Any word on an adjustment to total cost if you are not interested in the cenote dives?

I may or may not be interested in an extra day in Cozumel, but the cenotes would be out for me. Sounds beautiful, but I don't do the "overhead" thing well. :-)

As soon as the Wench gets back from the Red Sea trip she can get with everyone on differant options for the trip :cheerleader:

#110 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

As soon as the Wench gets back from the Red Sea trip she can get with everyone on differant options for the trip :P

Oh, the Red Sea... Lucky Wench! :hiya:

Maybe by the time she gets back I'll know for sure if I can commit or not. Thanks
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#111 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:07 AM

Maybe by the time she gets back I'll know for sure if I can commit or not. Thanks

That would help, but knowing the Wench and how she works at service - she'll work with you even if you're not sure yet.

I know what the going retail cost is for the Cenote dives, and comparing that to other possibilities in the area - you would save some money, depending on what you wanted to do. It would also help if you looked at the area and had a preference for a Ruin tour, a Beach, Shopping, or maybe just snorkeling the non-overhead cavern - which would be the cheapest alternative since it would not require separate transportation Here's one link: http://www.travelyuc...ulum_mexico.php

Hope you make the trip...! :hiya:

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#112 Doctor G

Doctor G

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:around 40

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

Yes, it is still open for booking!

My first bluewater trip was Cozumel and I think I had 20 or so dives. Cozumel is a great place to start getting more dives under your belt plus snorkeling with whalesharks. Now the centotes are an overhead environment and they will require good buoyancy to dive them. When I dove them last, the operator will have you demonstrate your control in the water before they actually take you into the centotes

I'm very interested in trying to get in on this trip

Any advice on air travel? I guess that I could fly from El Paso over to Dallas or Houston to start off. So the plan would be to fly into Cozumel, ------ but return from Cancun?

What do I have to do first? ---- send a whole bunch of money to Kamala?

also, please excuse my feeblemindedness ---- the other expense breakdown seems kind of complex --- I'll try to read the first post real carefully

Doctor G.
Doctor G

Greetings from:
El Paso del Norte
--- a.k.a. - the frontier!

#113 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

My first bluewater trip was Cozumel and I think I had 20 or so dives. Cozumel is a great place to start getting more dives under your belt plus snorkeling with whalesharks. Now the centotes are an overhead environment and they will require good buoyancy to dive them. When I dove them last, the operator will have you demonstrate your control in the water before they actually take you into the centotes

Any advice on air travel? I guess that I could fly from El Paso over to Dallas or Houston to start off. So the plan would be to fly into Cozumel, ------ but return from Cancun?

also, please excuse my feeblemindedness ---- the other expense breakdown seems kind of complex --- I'll try to read the first post real carefully

Doctor G.

Hi Doctor G!!

I reviewed the first page of this thread...so, you'd fly into Cozumel and then out of Cancun. The only real restriction on your flights is the one out of Cancun and that must be after 1pm. I saw a flight back to El Paso that leaves on AA at 435pm so that would be a good one to take.

All you have to do to sign up is post here in this thread that your check is in the mail and then send WW money so we can confirm your spot.

Please let me know of other questions you have!

#114 Doctor G

Doctor G

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:around 40

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

Doctor G.

Hi Doctor G!!

I reviewed the first page of this thread...so, you'd fly into Cozumel and then out of Cancun. The only real restriction on your flights is the one out of Cancun and that must be after 1pm. I saw a flight back to El Paso that leaves on AA at 435pm so that would be a good one to take.

All you have to do to sign up is post here in this thread that your check is in the mail and then send WW money so we can confirm your spot.

Thanks! Fin Grabber -)

----- I guess I'll have to work on whether or not I can fly from El Paso to Cozumel, and then come back from Cancun to El Paso.

--- I guess otherwise I would have to try to fly to Cancun and then from Cancun to Cozumel --- or else mess around with ground transportation from Cancun airport down to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry over to Cozumel??? --- which sounds a little complex to me. ---- My spanish is pretty sketchy! ---- even if I do practically live in Mexico! -)

Doctor G
Doctor G

Greetings from:
El Paso del Norte
--- a.k.a. - the frontier!

#115 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

The flights from Cancun CUN to Cozumel CZM have never been dependable, and while ground transportation to the Playa Del Carmen PDC ferry is easy enough I'm told, I have always flown into CZM - just much easier. If the fare to CUN is $100 cheaper than to CZM, I might consider it, but I still doubt I'd do it.

American and Continental both have itineraries from ELP to CZM with returns from CUN after 1pm. Use Multiple city option. Fares vary with when you check them - I prefer midweek very early morning, but it does look like American is beating the Continental fare by $100 at the moment. :P

The price of the trip is not that complicated, I don't think - maybe you were a little confused about the 3 parts to the trip? 3 days diving fro Coz, 1 day at mainland Cenotes with a relocation to Holbox, 2 days at Holbox.

Hope to see you there...! :iagree: Less than three months!! Posted Image

#116 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Doctor G.

Hi Doctor G!!

Thanks! Fin Grabber -)

----- I guess I'll have to work on whether or not I can fly from El Paso to Cozumel, and then come back from Cancun to El Paso.

--- I guess otherwise I would have to try to fly to Cancun and then from Cancun to Cozumel --- or else mess around with ground transportation from Cancun airport down to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry over to Cozumel??? --- which sounds a little complex to me. ---- My spanish is pretty sketchy! ---- even if I do practically live in Mexico! -)

Doctor G

Hi Doctor G.

I've done the Fly to Cancun, Bus to Playa, then Ferry to Cozumel deal a couple of times. Not complicated at all and not a bad trip. Just takes a little more time. The Cancun airport is not very big and the bus station is a short walk to one end and behind the building. English has never been a problem. You take the bus for a ride down to Playa. In Playa the Ferry dock is a short walk from the bus station. You can easily pick up someone to help with luggage if you wish. Guys with bikes and carts are happy to help if you're toting a lot or just tired of lugging it. :iagree:

Anyway... There will be tons of taxis available in Cozumel to get you from the ferry to the hotel. Again, English is not a problem.

I have yet to sign up for the trip, but I'm 99% sure I'll be going. It will be my first SD trip. I'm looking forward to meeting & diving with more of the members.

#117 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

That would help, but knowing the Wench and how she works at service - she'll work with you even if you're not sure yet.

I know what the going retail cost is for the Cenote dives, and comparing that to other possibilities in the area - you would save some money, depending on what you wanted to do. It would also help if you looked at the area and had a preference for a Ruin tour, a Beach, Shopping, or maybe just snorkeling the non-overhead cavern - which would be the cheapest alternative since it would not require separate transportation Here's one link: http://www.travelyuc...ulum_mexico.php

Hope you make the trip...! :iagree:

I'm hoping that maybe the extra day of diving in Cozumel will work out. It sounds like you might be coming back thru Playa to catch another mode of transportation on to Holbox. If that's the case, I'd probably dive another day in Coz and then take a later ferry over to hook up with you guys. But, I'll be sure to check out the site you sent and see my other options. I'd hate to miss out on anything. The snorkeling at the cenotes just might be an option for me.

Where do you place your personal belongings while you dive the cenotes? At that point you've checked out of one hotel, but not into the other yet right? Just curious...

Thanks,
Barb

#118 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:09 AM

Hope you make the trip...! :cheerleader:

I'm hoping that maybe the extra day of diving in Cozumel will work out. It sounds like you might be coming back thru Playa to catch another mode of transportation on to Holbox. If that's the case, I'd probably dive another day in Coz and then take a later ferry over to hook up with you guys. But, I'll be sure to check out the site you sent and see my other options. I'd hate to miss out on anything. The snorkeling at the cenotes just might be an option for me.

Where do you place your personal belongings while you dive the cenotes? At that point you've checked out of one hotel, but not into the other yet right? Just curious...

Thanks,
Barb

Hey all...a bit of access before returning to Dallas on the 4th...

Barb you will not be able to stay in Cozy for the day of cenotes diving as once thought. The private bus we have chartered will be several hours away from the ferry and unable to return to get you. The best we can do is find options nearby the cenotes. I would certainly suggest snorkeling if not comfortable with diving.

The dives are done in 4 person teams with a dedicated dm for every four divers. You go single file and the hardest part is to NOT touch the bottom so you don't kick up silt. You will be in an overhead environment and you have 1-2 places where you can abort the dive and turn around without proceeding.

I will try to work on other options for NOT diving the cenotes but will need to know who is definitely not diving them first. Thank you, Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#119 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:03 AM

Oh My Gosh its WhaleSharks in Holbox!!! Cozumel, Cenotes & Holbox, Mexico August 16-23, 2007

AIRFARE:

We have some availability for discounted air via Funjet, Adventure Tours, etc. Otherwise you are more than welcome to make your own arrangements.

ARRIVAL:

I'm in for this one. Check will go out on Monday.

I'd like D/O
No Nitrox needed
I'd like to do the 3rd tank all three days in Coz.

I'm going to attempt the cenotes. After reading more about them, it looks pretty cool. I get a little claustrophobic in those conditions, but I'll just talk myself out of it. :cheerleader:

Can't wait to meet everyone,

Barb

#120 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

Oh My Gosh its WhaleSharks in Holbox!!! Cozumel, Cenotes & Holbox, Mexico August 16-23, 2007

AIRFARE:

We have some availability for discounted air via Funjet, Adventure Tours, etc. Otherwise you are more than welcome to make your own arrangements.

ARRIVAL:

I'm in for this one. Check will go out on Monday.

I'd like D/O
No Nitrox needed
I'd like to do the 3rd tank all three days in Coz.

I'm going to attempt the cenotes. After reading more about them, it looks pretty cool. I get a little claustrophobic in those conditions, but I'll just talk myself out of it. :diver:

Can't wait to meet everyone,

Barb

I've added you to the 'checks in the mail' list!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users